Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Positiveweight
  • 1 Post By Cylon357

Thread: Fasted cardio after leg days

Positiveweight is offline New Member

Fasted cardio after leg days

So the fasted cardio would just be simple steady state. Max incline on treadmill between 2.3mph-3.0mph. it would be done tomorrow around 6:00am -7:00am. 50 grams of whey isolate will be had first thing along with just black coffee. No sugar.

Today I had a killer leg day
    Deadlift: 8-8-8 then 3 reps at a new 330lbs personal record.
    Hack squat: 10-10-10 (pushed with hard effort) 4x45lbs with 2x25lbs plates.
    Leg press: 15-12-10 then 5 reps at 780lbs
    High volume quad curls for the blood pump
    High volume hamstring curls for blood pump
    Maxed out the glute/lower back machine for 15-15-15
    Calf raises again high volume. 2x45lbs plates then three second holds up top with just four plates (two on each side) of 10lbs
    Lightweight lunges. My pump wasn't letting me lunge so just two sets of 8 raises per legs.

Now walking is considered active recovery. Also my legs have been responding well to training. Not walking all crazy legged the next day anymore.

Am I stressing them out with 30-45 minutes of steady state fasted cardio followed by just a couple back stroke swimming laps in the pool.

I have body fat to lose. But also realize the spiked heart rate and sweat I poured today indirectly helps with fat loss.

Am I safe to do my very simple steady state fasted cardio followed by a quick swim. Or should I just stretch out and commence with just normal daily walking for active recovery?

I know some here can outshine me. Especially when it comes to the 3×330 lbs deadlift. Just recognize that's a new high for me in my progression.

What's the general consensus here? Would love the input.
    Last edited by Positiveweight; 04-14-2023 at 09:26 PM.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Cylon357 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Positiveweight View Post
    So the fasted cardio would just be simple steady state. Max incline on treadmill between 2.3mph-3.0mph. it would be done tomorrow around 6:00am -7:00am. 50 grams of whey isolate will be had first thing along with just black coffee. No sugar.

Today I had a killer leg day
    Deadlift: 8-8-8 then 3 reps at a new 330lbs personal record.
    Hack squat: 10-10-10 (pushed with hard effort) 4x45lbs with 2x25lbs plates.
    Leg press: 15-12-10 then 5 reps at 780lbs
    High volume quad curls for the blood pump
    High volume hamstring curls for blood pump
    Maxed out the glute/lower back machine for 15-15-15
    Calf raises again high volume. 2x45lbs plates then three second holds up top with just four plates (two on each side) of 10lbs
    Lightweight lunges. My pump wasn't letting me lunge so just two sets of 8 raises per legs.

Now walking is considered active recovery. Also my legs have been responding well to training. Not walking all crazy legged the next day anymore.

Am I stressing them out with 30-45 minutes of steady state fasted cardio followed by just a couple back stroke swimming laps in the pool.

I have body fat to lose. But also realize the spiked heart rate and sweat I poured today indirectly helps with fat loss.

Am I safe to do my very simple steady state fasted cardio followed by a quick swim. Or should I just stretch out and commence with just normal daily walking for active recovery?

I know some here can outshine me. Especially when it comes to the 3×330 lbs deadlift. Just recognize that's a new high for me in my progression.

What's the general consensus here? Would love the input.
    Don't sweat weight numbers here. There are some Herculean brothers (and sisters) but your numbers only matter to YOU. Great progress!

You will be fine taking a brisk walk the next day. This is not a problem and does more good than harm, assuming you are not setting your alarm to wake up super early to get in the walk. Cutting your sleep short would be more problematic.

BTW, swimming is great, isn't it? I haven't swam in like 3 years but man, some of my best sleep has been after a good swim workout.
    Positiveweight likes this.

Positiveweight is offline New Member
    Cyclon357 -

How often can you train steady state cardio?
    I'm forcing myself to actually take three days off because my legs have a minor sore. mainly in the hamstrings, lightly in the glutes. It provoked some sciatic nerve damage which is coming from strain from my lower back. Since the deadlifting, hack squat, glute machine and T bar rows on back days. I'm not worried here as it's only if its constant and doesn't go away with more training that you need to worry.

But the last three gym days were intense. Forced a good chest day, leg day was explosive, and I T-bar rowed 6 sets because for me these are finally the first exercise where I can feel it in the wings. my forearms got swollen and became weak, my rear delts slowed down my chest day. So I have some serious work ahead of me.

Since I'm natty, I'm going to play it safe and take three days off. I don't want too. But logically just one extra day in the bigger picture of things will probably prove itself to be worthwhile. So during my three day rest. Am I OK to not only do fasted steady state cardio followed by a couple quality laps in the water. AS WELL as do steady state later on in the day after lets say lunch is metabolized? Should I watch how often I do steady state cardio or is it like an all you can eat buffet during training?

Jay Cutler said if your trying to cut or lose weight. That one hour of cardio in the morning then one more hour before bed is fine. Obviously if you're doing sprints till you drop then you'll no doubt start to utilize muscle as recovery fuel assuming it's overworking.

Thread Information