Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Scorpion0922
  • 2 Post By Scorpion0922
  • 1 Post By Scorpion0922

Thread: Rookie workout routine for the guru's to critique on

Positiveweight is offline New Member

Rookie workout routine for the guru's to critique on

I found this in my notes on my phone. My routine is very similar to this still. Go ahead. Chop it up and reorganize. Or blow it up and help me reconstruct from top to bottom. LMK

Thank you for any and all help. Here it is!
    Legs:
    Deadlift: 12-10-8
    Hack squat: 10-10-10
    Leg press: heavy
    Lunges: 10-10-10
    Hamstring curl: high volume
    Hamstring: high volume
    Glute machine: healthy heavy
    Calf raises: higher rep

Back & Shoulders:
    YTI: warmup. Consider no weight
    close grip row: 10-8-8
    Wide grip row: 12-10-8
    Close grip T Bar row: hard
    Lateral lat bar pulldown machine: rep it out
    Standing barbell row: 10-10-10
    Swing motion barbell row: 10-10-10
    Seated rear delt flies: 10-10-10
    Seated or standing: side delt flies: 10-10-10
    Forward dumbbell flies: high rep
    Military press with shrugs: 8-8-8
    YTI: maybe even no weight
    Jay Cutler Special: high rep

Arms:
    Tripcep pushdown: 15-12-10
    Reverse grip wide grip pushdown: 15-12-10
    Close grip pushdown: 12-10-8
    Tripcep machine: figure it out
    Standing dumbbell bicep curl: 12-10-8
    Preacher curl single arm dumbbell: 10-10-10
    Reverse grip bicep pull: 15-12-10
    Bicep pull: 12-10-8
    Pump up arms before ending

Abs:
    Under construction

Chest:
    Pec fly warm up: high rep all three angles
    Seated dumbbell flat bench: 12-10-8
    Incline dumbbell bench: 12-10-8
    Decline dumbbell bench 12-10-8
    Pec flies: 15-12-10 (rep it out perhaps)
    Pec machine press: 10-10-10

Cardio
    Steady state on an inclined on treadmill: 20-30 minutes post workout
    Steady state on an inclined treadmill: 30-40 minutes most mornings first thing after coffee and protein shake. Breakfast eaten afterwards.

Scorpion0922 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Can't critiqie a plan without knowing your goals.
    Positiveweight likes this.

Overall health brought on by resistance training and cardio. A routine that is based on muscle growth while impacting fat loss without the use of enchancing substances; excluding protein powder and creatine.

Basically falling back into a solid foundation that'll give me a 360 degree view of where I'd like to go next. Which is probably mass building while utilizing tried and true methods. Such as dosing Deca to appropriate levels to get mass building without the extremity of wanting to compete.

Hope that helps. LMK
    Last edited by Positiveweight; 05-01-2023 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Positiveweight View Post
    Overall health brought on by resistance training and cardio. A routine that is based on muscle growth while impacting fat loss without the use of enchancing substances; excluding protein powder and creatine.

Basically falling back into a solid foundation that'll give me a 360 degree view of where I'd like to go next. Which is probably mass building while utilizing tried and true methods. Such as dosing Deca to appropriate levels to get mass building without the extremity of wanting to compete.

Hope that helps. LMK
    Gotcha. Thx for the VERY detailed answer.

Anything we do; training, diet, gear, etc. falls to this: if it works for you; do it.

Typically most guys will need to change their training routine every so often. Some guys 2 weeks, some guys 2 months.

I am not a big fan of this plan. 1st reason is beacuse a lot of if is somewhat vague.

Example:

Hamstring: high volume
    Glute machine: healthy heavy
    Calf raises: higher rep

I also am not a proponent of 2 bodyparts in one day. Again, this may work for some guys but with your goals I do not recommend it.

I have had a lot of success in offseason AND prep for shows with lower/upper/upper:

Legs (quad based)
    Shoulders
    Chest
    Glutes/Hams
    Back
    Arms

I follow a 2-3 day on 1 day off protocol. Rest = results.

For you/your goals I'd go with 4-5 exercies on each day @ 10-12 reps. Tried and true. Switch the movements when you stop seeing/feeling results.

You also have to decide if you want to add mass or be lean. Unless you are 1% of the genetic freaks out there (which we are likely not) doing cardio 2x a day is going to keep you from adding mass. The cardio plan you have is similar to what I'll do when I am 8 weeks and less from a show and when I am getting as lean as possible.

Stick to 4 days a week fasted, no shake, no food, then start your 6 meals.

Do not run deca alone.
    Last edited by Scorpion0922; 05-01-2023 at 09:42 PM.
    songdog and Positiveweight like this.

I'm not 1% nor even 5%. Where I fall in this is to far gone to be recognized. Maybe in my teens I could have... But even then... Being a fan of Jay Cutler (New England FTW lol) I would have needed gear even in my prime to shine.

The whole 8 weeks out!! Thing is beyond my stratosphere. I'm happy just remaining in training mode.

What you disliked in particular.
    I max out the glute lower back machine but I strain on the lower back raises in general. So maybe remove this machine as there is no point and maximize on lower back raises whilst having the option to hold a 25 pounder+ for results. Hamstring and quad raises on the machine. I can program a 10-12 rep routine but after deadlifting, leg pressing and hack squaring. Figured that repping till favor was another route to go. Perhaps not. Same fold with calf raising, 10-12 rep range can be found.

I see your routine. Should abs fall into shoulder and arms day? Fasted cardio is something I need to work too. I feel to depleted without a protein shake and coffee to wake me up as of such.

Edit: You best bet I won't do Deca without test. I wouldn't dose Deca at even150mg weekly without it!!
    Last edited by Positiveweight; 05-02-2023 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Positiveweight View Post
    I'm not 1% nor even 5%. Where I fall in this is to far gone to be recognized. Maybe in my teens I could have... But even then... Being a fan of Jay Cutler (New England FTW lol) I would have needed gear even in my prime to shine.

The whole 8 weeks out!! Thing is beyond my stratosphere. I'm happy just remaining in training mode.

What you disliked in particular.
    I max out the glute lower back machine but I strain on the lower back raises in general. So maybe remove this machine as there is no point and maximize on lower back raises whilst having the option to hold a 25 pounder+ for results. Hamstring and quad raises on the machine. I can program a 10-12 rep routine but after deadlifting, leg pressing and hack squaring. Figured that repping till favor was another route to go. Perhaps not. Same fold with calf raising, 10-12 rep range can be found.

I see your routine. Should abs fall into shoulder and arms day? Fasted cardio is something I need to work too. I feel to depleted without a protein shake and coffee to wake me up as of such.

Edit: You best bet I won't do Deca without test. I wouldn't dose Deca at even150mg weekly without it!!
    No one is in that 1%, that's my point. That's why you need to decide A) add mass B) cut down

"8 weeks out" if my show were 8 weeks from this weekend, I'd be "8 weeks out" or 5, or 4, etc. At that time the claories are lessened and the cardio is increased. This dops as much body fat as possible leading into the show. If you're goal is to add some mucsle now then you have to carry around some fat and water. Not saying be grossly overweight but the fat & water will help you move more weight; thus adding some size. Doing cardio 2 a day is counterproductive to your goals (now)

You can train abs and calves a few times a week after your training. Since I have 2 leg days I hit a minimal amount of calf work at the end of each leg day. I am lucky that I can barely train calves and I have them.

Training will be a little trail and error. Your arm & chest days look good. Unfortunately you'll eventually adapt to that so be prepared to change it up.

Give back and shoulders seperate days and I'd move your shoudler pressing movement (dumbells press or smith machine press) the the beginning of the session (DO include the proper warm up)
    Last edited by Scorpion0922; 05-02-2023 at 10:40 PM.
    Positiveweight likes this.

Isolating shoulders alone is a yin and yang for me. More training days but also more time to show forgiveness during an adequate recovery. Following 2-3 day on : One day off is a mentality I'll have to adapt for. I still might choose to do cardio both morning and post workout but just not every time or everyday.

It'll work out because I get to focus on gut-wrenching back workouts. I'm lucky to have landed on a walking corpse that can handle a brunt of tolerance without actually throwing in the towel. I tend to find myself watching blood and guts for motivation.

I'll keep you posted. If there's anything else you'd like to add just let me know. What ill do in due time is rewrite this with your input taken into consideration and give you a look-see.

Best
    Positiveweight

P.S
    I just about blew out my L4/L5 disk again going for a heavy deadlift. Miraculously it recovered(ing) on its own so I've been out the gym for the past several weeks and it kills me. I was finally dropping aalllllll my water weight and building muscle and increasing plates respectfully. Then when it heals just enough to get away with it if I remove deadlifting (assuming posture and form or possibly to tight of hamstrings and hip muscles). I catch bronchitis... Like bro I just want to lift!! Damn it all lol
    Last edited by Positiveweight; 05-03-2023 at 05:54 PM.

Thread Information