Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By Zenpump
  • 1 Post By Oldguysrule

Thread: A blow to my Ego, no more 4-6 reps on area that was injured 6 mos ago? any thoughts?

Oldguysrule is offline New Member

Rep Range post-injury question

Hi, I could use some advice, please. In November of 2022.

I hurt my upper right shoulder where the top of the biceps muscle ligament meet the shoulder ligament. I have healed for the most part, almost 90 percent, mostly from lots of rest and band training, you know the rotator cuff arm ins and out training

What's the best rep range for me, someone who has been injured? 8-12 reps?

Maybe I can still do squats in the grueling 4-6 rep range for bulk, but when it comes to overhead exercises like an incline bench press, I should stay within 8-12 reps since the upright overhead exercises are too close to my injury area?

I used to enjoy doing 4-6 reps for bulk & strength, but I fear I might re-injure the shoulder / biceps again.

Thanks, in advance.

Lightbulb A blow to my Ego, no more 4-6 reps on area that was injured 6 mos ago? any thoughts?

Hi, I could use some advice, please. In November of 2022.

I hurt my upper right shoulder where the top of the biceps muscle ligament meet the shoulder ligament. I have healed for the most part, almost 90 percent, mostly from lots of rest and band training, you know the rotator cuff arm ins and out training

What's the best rep range for me, someone who has been injured? 8-12 reps?

*Maybe I can still do squats in the grueling 4-6 rep range for bulk, but when it comes to overhead exercises like an incline bench press, I should stay within 8-12 reps since the upright overhead exercises are too close to my injury area?

I used to enjoy doing 4-6 reps for bulk & strength, but I fear I might re-injure the shoulder / biceps again.

Thanks, in advance.

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    The best working set weight would be the max weight you feel you can sustain without getting injured while shooting for 8-12 reps.

Don't worry about grinding out 4 reps. Even Dante Trudel/ Doggcrapp advocates working in the upper rep range (12-15 reps) when you're over 40 years old.

Include rest pause and slower rep speeds to increase the intensity when necessary. Drop weight when necessary to get in another set.

Don't feel you have to get all of your work done in one working set.

I would never shoot for 4-6 reps on squats or really any leg exercise unless you are in a program to prepare for a meet. It's pretty much a universal rule for me to work the higher rep ranges for legs.

If you ever want to try a really challenging program for legs, Google "20 rep squats and RJ Strossen".
    Oldguysrule and songdog like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    The best working set weight would be the max weight you feel you can sustain without getting injured while shooting for 8-12 reps.

Don't worry about grinding out 4 reps. Even Dante Trudel/ Doggcrapp advocates working in the upper rep range (12-15 reps) when you're over 40 years old.

Include rest pause and slower rep speeds to increase the intensity when necessary. Drop weight when necessary to get in another set.

Don't feel you have to get all of your work done in one working set.

I would never shoot for 4-6 reps on squats or really any leg exercise unless you are in a program to prepare for a meet. It's pretty much a universal rule for me to work the higher rep ranges for legs.

If you ever want to try a really challenging program for legs, Google "20 rep squats and RJ Strossen".
    This here is good advice

In terms of the low rep range, to be clear, it would be a weight heavy enough like 240 pounds (Relatively speaking LoL) to do 4-6 reps (Bulk Training)

Gary Strydom mentioned that he'd alternate between light weights to do 8-12 reps and then super heavy weights to do only 4-6 reps in a workout week

This is the idea of bulking and cutting with weights; the 4-6 reps in the major muscle groups like the Chest would be done sparingly - - as in 1 day out of the 4 day week or 1.5 days out of a 4 day workout week because of the strain on the joints ligaments tenndons and other related

Mass / power training with heavy weights & low reps / Definition training with moderate weights 8-12 reps

I definitely don't want to injure myself. I'm about 55 years old and simply literally "havent got time for the pain" like that Carly Simon song

Thank u again

To be clear, I would completely avoid the amount of weight that you feel you could only (safely) sustain for 4-6 reps unless you are trying to wear out your hips, knees, shoulders, etc.
    Last edited by almostgone; 05-02-2023 at 01:09 PM.
    Oldguysrule likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Merged duplicate thread with this one.
    Oldguysrule likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Merged duplicate thread with this one.
    thanks for all the good advice u gave me &
    sorry for jumpin the gone

i quit antidepressants and am bodybuilding to increase natural dopamine and test levels and endorphins

and i did a duplicate cos i realized here, there'd be more ppl viewing

Quote Originally Posted by Oldguysrule View Post
    thanks for all the good advice u gave me &
    sorry for jumpin the gone

i quit antidepressants and am bodybuilding to increase natural dopamine and test levels and endorphins

and i did a duplicate cos i realized here, there'd be more ppl viewing
    No problem. It happens. I'm just putting everything in one place to preserve continuity.
    Good job on your hard work!
    Oldguysrule likes this.

Zenpump is offline Junior Member
    We've all been there (many of us specifically with the shoulders). The best course of action is to drop down the weight and increase the reps when stressing that area. Recent studies show that lower weight/higher rep training is just as effective for muscle stimulation as heavier weights. Believe me, I am an old school Heavy Duty Mentzer/Yates kind of lifter who has had to change my ways to avoid injuries and so I understand the mental challenges with cutting the weights. Just adapt your mentality and get used to the high rep lactic acid burn...this is your best course IMO.
    Oldguysrule likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenpump View Post
    We've all been there (many of us specifically with the shoulders). The best course of action is to drop down the weight and increase the reps when stressing that area. Recent studies show that lower weight/higher rep training is just as effective for muscle stimulation as heavier weights. Believe me, I am an old school Heavy Duty Mentzer/Yates kind of lifter who has had to change my ways to avoid injuries and so I understand the mental challenges with cutting the weights. Just adapt your mentality and get used to the high rep lactic acid burn...this is your best course IMO.
    You too with the Mike heavy duty influences of the late 1970s? lol..this is great advice.

I miss the days of going to negative failure and then having someone lift the weight up for me, or doin that with my free hand like the Cybergenics video from back in the day, the late 1980s, you know those huge vitamins that was endoresed with then unknown, bodybuilder, Franco Santorello ?
    Zenpump likes this.

Thread Information