Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    Justoid's Avatar
    Justoid is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    194

    The Da Vinci Code

    Have just finished reading this book and have to say it was immense. I was completey enthralled for days-i could not put it down. As a Roman Catholic who went to a deeply Catholic school this book puts a whole lot of doubt in ones mind and poses a lot of questions. Just thought id big up this book and see if other peole have read it.
    PS for the real hardcore RC's i would probably advise against reading it and in fact you would probably not want to (ie my family!)
    What a book though

  2. #2
    LM1332 Guest
    what is it about? Like briefly describe what it talks about

  3. #3
    JDawg1536's Avatar
    JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    4,155
    its an awesome book, i have it on tape (im a cheater)

  4. #4
    Justoid's Avatar
    Justoid is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    194
    i dont want to give anything away atoll in this book- but all i can say is that you will never view the last supper painting the same way again and discover the secret behind the mona lisa smile- fascinating

  5. #5
    LM1332 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Justoid
    i dont want to give anything away atoll in this book- but all i can say is that you will never view the last supper painting the same way again and discover the secret behind the mona lisa smile- fascinating
    Was she laughing at his little cock?

  6. #6
    Justoid's Avatar
    Justoid is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    194
    not quite.......she was actually laughing because when da vinci finally whipped his pants off, where his penis should have been was none other than a paint brush, this she found understandably hilarious

  7. #7
    nickrizz's Avatar
    nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    3,189
    my mother and aunt said it was great, and they were telling me something about the last supper

  8. #8
    LM1332 Guest
    i should deffinatly pick it up and check it out. Not a book reader but if its interesting im all for it

  9. #9
    nickrizz's Avatar
    nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    3,189
    i was getting colonoscopy and upper gi and my mother couldnt put the book down to even hear my results lol

  10. #10
    tinytool's Avatar
    tinytool is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    120
    It does put a whole new perspective on the Catholic Church. That book has a lot of interesting facts.

  11. #11
    doctorcc's Avatar
    doctorcc is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Vegas Baby!
    Posts
    122
    I think I'll read that one next. I've heard from a few people that is was great! I just finished Grisham's "The Summons" and thought it sucked!

  12. #12
    tinytool's Avatar
    tinytool is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorcc
    I think I'll read that one next. I've heard from a few people that is was great! I just finished Grisham's "The Summons" and thought it sucked!
    I was also dissapointed with Grisham's "Bleachers" I usally like his books but this one had nothing to do with law or courtrooms.

  13. #13
    adamw1's Avatar
    adamw1 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    wales-uk
    Posts
    437
    I thought it was an excellent book if you liked it you should check out 'Angels and Demons'again by Dan Brown.

  14. #14
    Gmill13's Avatar
    Gmill13 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    North East Somewhere
    Posts
    471
    Angels and Demons was awesome, I read them both, that book definatly casts a more ominous shadow over the Catholic Church. Its the prequel to Da Vinci Code. Da vinci code actually regurgitates alot of stuff from this book.

  15. #15
    max-it's Avatar
    max-it is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Justoid
    not quite.......she was actually laughing because when da vinci finally whipped his pants off, where his penis should have been was none other than a paint brush, this she found understandably hilarious
    Thats one way to paint her lips.

  16. #16
    mark956101957's Avatar
    mark956101957 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    2,152
    The Devinci Code is seriously flawed, facts are incorrect and the sources in which the author gets his information are not much better at times than fairytales. You owe it to yourself to read the other side of this work and see what real scholars have to say about the book....don't believe it just because it is printed in a book....

  17. #17
    bubbathegut's Avatar
    bubbathegut is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    PLZ dont IM me 4 Source's
    Posts
    754
    post a 5 paragraph essay

  18. #18
    sinista63's Avatar
    sinista63 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by mark956101957
    The Devinci Code is seriously flawed, facts are incorrect and the sources in which the author gets his information are not much better at times than fairytales. You owe it to yourself to read the other side of this work and see what real scholars have to say about the book....don't believe it just because it is printed in a book....
    took the words right out of my mouth

  19. #19
    ChiTownTommy's Avatar
    ChiTownTommy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    depends
    Posts
    1,121
    If it is anything like the Bible Matrix its a load of ****. They dont find anything till after it happens. And with as many characters there on a single page of the old testament, youre bound to run into words clustered togethor in one or another.

  20. #20
    Fat Guy's Avatar
    Fat Guy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    So Cali. Inland Empire
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by mark956101957
    The Devinci Code is seriously flawed, facts are incorrect and the sources in which the author gets his information are not much better at times than fairytales. You owe it to yourself to read the other side of this work and see what real scholars have to say about the book....don't believe it just because it is printed in a book....
    Do I detect a little defensiveness? The story is a fictional story, however all the documents talked about in the story are of genuine article and well documented. In addition, there are many gospels than what is just written in the Bible but because of politics and power, many of those gospels were suppressed. It is a has been hypothesized and well supported that Mary Magdalene was Jesus’ companion and possible his wife. I know this rather hits a nerve with many Christians, but sometimes it is good to think openly. I am not trying to Flame anyone’s beliefs but I am just recommending the possibility on how history took place may not have happened as we think it happened. However, this does not change the fact if you have a strong belief system and believe in whatever I say stay strong and Christianity is a great way to go, but do not be narrow to the possibility of history happening a different way than we once thought.

  21. #21
    TheGame826's Avatar
    TheGame826 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    507
    This is kind of a spoiler for the booK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    i have to say..... i for one was extremely disappointed with the ending... I read this book in three days because i couldnt put it down. The entire book is leading up to the holy grail and all the true stories about jesus and mary mag. then at the end what happens? they find out where the grail is located and thats it. I was hoping they would describe the holy grail and some of the stories about jesus. The book left me wanting more. 450 pages leading up to the holy grail and when you get there, the book is over.

  22. #22
    LM1332 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGame826
    This is kind of a spoiler for the booK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    i have to say..... i for one was extremely disappointed with the ending... I read this book in three days because i couldnt put it down. The entire book is leading up to the holy grail and all the true stories about jesus and mary mag. then at the end what happens? they find out where the grail is located and thats it. I was hoping they would describe the holy grail and some of the stories about jesus. The book left me wanting more. 450 pages leading up to the holy grail and when you get there, the book is over.
    What does it mean? That the book is BS probably why create all the hype and then just ended it. For book #2 to come out that never did or the guy just didnt know what to write

  23. #23
    nickrizz's Avatar
    nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    3,189
    The holy grail??? what is this indiana jones.... j/k but everyone says they give you a new look about the catholic church but i heard a lot of them arent true

  24. #24
    Justoid's Avatar
    Justoid is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    194
    i am sorry if you are going to read the book- if you are do not read the next few lines as they will ruin the book for you. So if your going to read the book- please look away now........




    The book basically says that the holy grail is not the cup of christ many people believe it to be- it is however the body of mary magdalene. In the bible mary of magdalene is described as a prostitue who was around the time of Christ. However the book goes on to describe how this is in fact false and she was actually Christs partner, the vatican not wanting this to get out for obivious reasons has therefore told the story in the Bible and it has been rewritten to tell people she was a prostitute. The book also claims that they had children and to this day there are direct descendants of Jesus living. However they are in hiding as the Vatican throughout the centuries have tried to kill off all of them as this would ruin and be the downfall of the church. It is claimed the book is all based on fact and many years of extensive research. There are also a lot of codes in the book that make you think the possibility of this been true are actually conceiveable. If you look at Leonardo Da Vincis famous painting of the last supper the book claims he is trying to tell us in the picture about Mary of Magdalene and the truth. Look at it closely its supposed to be of the apostles and at first glance you think it is. Take a closer look at the person to the left of Jesus with the red hair. This person has unmistakingly female characterisitcs. Check it out and make up your own minds. Sorry for rambling on but that is just a brief overview of the main point in the book.
    http://www.artchive.com/artchive/L/l...tsupp.jpg.html

  25. #25
    palme's Avatar
    palme is offline Rosie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,649
    What about the mona lisa smile Justoid?

    It does look like a girl to his left, alltough he looks like a girl aswell. Maybe it was two lesbians!!!

  26. #26
    ripsid's Avatar
    ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    South Jersey and HATING I
    Posts
    1,844
    Haven't read the book although I had heard about the code from listening to that Art Bell radio show a while ago. I am Roman Catholic as well.

    My question is this, if they were married etc, what does it say about his death and resurection? Was he the son of God or not?

    I looked at the link and you are correct it does look like a female, and I didn't read the book so I'm not exactly sure what it's all about so I can't go on extensively.

    Personally, it's a book and with any old writing I think you can find interpretation in lots of things. Hell, Nostridomas supposedly saw all sorts of things, but the actual writings were VERY vague.

    I don't know, and I'm not affended by the book, I think alot of people get offended because people don't believe the same as they.

    SID

  27. #27
    nickrizz's Avatar
    nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    3,189
    i know a nun, who said it is mary magdeline next to him, just her 2 cents

  28. #28
    PumpingIron's Avatar
    PumpingIron is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by LM1332
    Was she laughing at his little cock?
    yes she was

  29. #29
    LM1332 Guest
    Basicly this book is like CIAs report on Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq?


    Quote Originally Posted by Justoid
    i am sorry if you are going to read the book- if you are do not read the next few lines as they will ruin the book for you. So if your going to read the book- please look away now........




    The book basically says that the holy grail is not the cup of christ many people believe it to be- it is however the body of mary magdalene. In the bible mary of magdalene is described as a prostitue who was around the time of Christ. However the book goes on to describe how this is in fact false and she was actually Christs partner, the vatican not wanting this to get out for obivious reasons has therefore told the story in the Bible and it has been rewritten to tell people she was a prostitute. The book also claims that they had children and to this day there are direct descendants of Jesus living. However they are in hiding as the Vatican throughout the centuries have tried to kill off all of them as this would ruin and be the downfall of the church. It is claimed the book is all based on fact and many years of extensive research. There are also a lot of codes in the book that make you think the possibility of this been true are actually conceiveable. If you look at Leonardo Da Vincis famous painting of the last supper the book claims he is trying to tell us in the picture about Mary of Magdalene and the truth. Look at it closely its supposed to be of the apostles and at first glance you think it is. Take a closer look at the person to the left of Jesus with the red hair. This person has unmistakingly female characterisitcs. Check it out and make up your own minds. Sorry for rambling on but that is just a brief overview of the main point in the book.
    http://www.artchive.com/artchive/L/l...tsupp.jpg.html

  30. #30
    BabyGirl01's Avatar
    BabyGirl01 is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    411
    I wanna read that book so bad. I have not gotten a chance yet.


    BG

  31. #31
    co2boi's Avatar
    co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,689
    I thought it was an excellent book, regardless of whether the facts are actually facts or not. I think it's very important that people don't always believe want they read (e.g. The Holy Bible) or what they are told. Everyone wants something to believe in and most people just take what other people say as the hard and fast truth and never rely on reason or logic to solidify their beliefs. One of the most important points Dan made in his book was that the people who win the wars and have power, get to write history. Everything is very one-sided. People tend to tie religion too closely with the idea of God or a greatest concivable being anyway. Use religion for what it's really worth, morals, values, ethics, a guide to live your life by...not the end-all-be-all answer to the mysteries of life and creation.

    I could go on and on about who/what I believe Jesus really was, but that's a whole other thread.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •