yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member

Unhappy turned down a job in It to stay in school

A guy near my house has a computer shop, he gave me an interview last week, i was very interesed in me and wanted to give me another interview.

I have 12 years of experience has a computer technicien and had some basic networking skills.

I decided since my recent layoff to get back in school and get up to date with network security, management, implementation.

The teacher at night really sucks, i dont like him at all, he seems bored has hell and offended each time you ask a question, the teacher in day time is really cool and since the class is almost empty he agreed to really show me the ropes in networking, how routers work, security, DNS DHCP and all the rest. I can't refuse coaching like this.

I was not looking for a job at the moment because my plan was clear finish school, i just finish a contract of one month and i implemented and secured a network in a small office.

Now for the job offer i turned down, the guy tells me that i have to get an A+ certification before he hires me, and he said that he is willing to pay half of the price to get is employ certified.

I live in Canada where certifications don't mean anything anymore, my school teacher, and most of the people there who are in contact with the current job market tell me this. Certification are worth nothing, employers will not pay more money because you have time, and they will look a lot more into experience then certifications.

For my part i dont want to spend all my time getting certified and to get payed 30k a year, because that is pertty much the salary i was offered.

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Lol after reading your post i think you've made the right choice to stay in school.

Now see if theres an English class you can sign up for...

Cloe85 is offline Female Member
    agree, stay in school if you can afford it. this is a lousey time to look for a job, and one that pays half decently at that. if you do well while your in college, you could end up being a TA (teaching assistant), it doesnt pay much, but you get more exposure to the professor your TAing with. experience is a definate need, but more and more employers are requiring that you atleast have a BS/BA in something to be considdered for a well paying possision.

plus being current with the industry is unbeatable with experience!

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Cloe85 View Post
    agree, stay in school if you can afford it. this is a lousey time to look for a job, and one that pays half decently at that. if you do well while your in college, you could end up being a TA (teaching assistant), it doesnt pay much, but you get more exposure to the professor your TAing with. experience is a definate need, but more and more employers are requiring that you atleast have a BS/BA in something to be considdered for a well paying possision.

plus being current with the industry is unbeatable with experience!

good luck
    I graduated back in 1998 i do have a degree in networking. I went back to school to get up to date.

Immortal Soldier is offline Anabolic Member
    lol 30,000 dollars a year?

That is a terrible salary, that salary is for people who don't even have a college degree.

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    i agree that salary sucks, however there are people that will cut ur throat for a 30k salary right now...

times are tough, and only getting tougher...

ni4ni is offline Pharmaceutically Enhanced
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD MATT View Post
    Lol after reading your post i think you've made the right choice to stay in school.

Now see if theres an English class you can sign up for...

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Soldier View Post

That is a terrible salary, that salary is for people who don't even have a college degree.
    Thats what pisses me off, at my old job a guy would come in with no education and would have a job in the plant at 13$ per hours.

I have seen IT job offers at 12-13-14$ per hour.

Worst is that apparently there is going to be a huge demand real soon for computer technican, network admins and more.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Soldier View Post

Jobs are paying less because of the unemployment is so high. Supply and demand. They dont have offer high salarier now.

ninesecz is offline AR's Mass Monster
    Blog Entries
    Always always smart to stay in school...

I turned down school for a job once.... Not really the smartest way to go!

A+ ....Common sense
    A+ ...Taking the correct path
    F- ... Not adding any naked pictures of woment to this post!!

(sorry just really horny lately !! LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by ninesecz View Post
    Always always smart to stay in school...

I turned down school for a job once.... Not really the smartest way to go!

A+ ....Common sense
    A+ ...Taking the correct path
    F- ... Not adding any naked pictures of woment to this post!!

(sorry just really horny lately !! LOL)
    Yeah me to waiting for girlfriend to come home so i can lay off some stress hehehehe

Job was in my field of work but man they guy was asking to much certifications, saying that they might not have a big salary but what lacks in money you get it back in learning.

FK that, i learn enough from my past jobs show me the $$$ this time around.

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    I work with computers for a living bro and trust me get your networking skills up and youll find a job that pays closer to 60-70k a year. study up and look into your cisco certs down the line, hell just torrent the tests to study im sure its around somewhere on the interwebs

You are on point with a network admin job, boring as hell but the money pays well

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    only certs you need..

cisco
    mcse

and you can go in any other vertical from there..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Guys in Canada certification are not required anymore, you can have them , they are cuit and fun but employers will not pay your more because you have them.

At the college where i go the women that helps with finding jobs told me that before i turned down the other job. She said that they will go with experience rather then hire someone with certification and that knows nothing.

Has for cisco around here many companies are getting ride of them, certification you must get 85% and it cost 850$ each time.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    thats' fine if they are "getting rid of them, cisco that is" however, if you want to work in a shop, cisco and firewall config require certs to prove minimal knowledge.

these college people giving you advice.. what do they do for a living??

Me?? for the last 8 years i do IT consults for banks, semi retired now, but you go with them, i'm sure thier experience is much more up to date..

and you know what they say.. if you can't do, you can always teach..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

*El Diablo* is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post
    only certs you need..

cisco
    mcse

and you can go in any other vertical from there..
    I have both, and didnt get me anyware, but u are right, when i went into Java and Oracle it started paying off.

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post
    thats' fine if they are "getting rid of them, cisco that is" however, if you want to work in a shop, cisco and firewall config require certs to prove minimal knowledge.

these college people giving you advice.. what do they do for a living??

Me?? for the last 8 years i do IT consults for banks, semi retired now, but you go with them, i'm sure thier experience is much more up to date..

and you know what they say.. if you can't do, you can always teach..
    I am going to do the cisco class around October, the fact of the matter is that almost every place is different, some have subnets, some have one big network with switchs, a firwall and one router. Some have scsi and some have sata drives for there servers.

I want to learn has much has i can but i am not ready to study for MCSA and MCSE nor Cisco and learn everything by heart to go get some certification that i will need to do every 2-3 years.

In my 12 years in the IT field i have met many people that where certified that couldnt even put a second hard disk inside a computer, or install a cd burner, even change a defective network card and install the proper drivers.

Its good to know things by heart but when you start working in a company its not the same thing at all, with the pressure and all the is related to the job.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    When one door shuts another one opens....

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    When one door shuts another one opens....
    Yes that is what everybody tells me but you know sometimes is very hard to beleive.

The past 2 years have been very hard for me, father passed away from cancer, i saw him get chimo for a year and a half, at some point cancer stopped growing we had hope, then after is last treatment cancer started spreading again, seeing him lose weight and get sick and all, one month later my cat died of a heart attack, then i did a burnout at my job this place was hell and so much more.

The feeling is like being trapped beneath a tone of rocks, and trying to climb out, but each time i seem to see the light some other rock falls on me and i get back to square one.

I am not giving up, i am just mad that employers would pay me 30k a year that was the salary i was making has a newbie out of school 12 years ago.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yannick35 View Post
    Yes that is what everybody tells me but you know sometimes is very hard to beleive.

The past 2 years have been very hard for me, father passed away from cancer, i saw him get chimo for a year and a half, at some point cancer stopped growing we had hope, then after is last treatment cancer started spreading again, seeing him lose weight and get sick and all, one month later my cat died of a heart attack, then i did a burnout at my job this place was hell and so much more.

The feeling is like being trapped beneath a tone of rocks, and trying to climb out, but each time i seem to see the light some other rock falls on me and i get back to square one.

I am not giving up, i am just mad that employers would pay me 30k a year that was the salary i was making has a newbie out of school 12 years ago.
    Don't be mad that the employers are going to pay your 30K a year. If that what the job pays and you don't like it then dont work it. Don't apply, get the job and complain about it. When people so that it pisses me off. If you feel your worth more then move along to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Don't be mad that the employers are going to pay your 30K a year. If that what the job pays and you don't like it then dont work it. Don't apply, get the job and complain about it. When people so that it pisses me off. If you feel your worth more then move along to something else.
    Yes that is my plan, i dont want to bash on the new guys coming out of school but that salary is for them.

Plan is to finish up school and then look for a good job. The employer actually gets mad when i do turn the job down?

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    A+ is a piece of cake. I did all the MCSE calsses back in 1999-2000 just before the change and I somehow migrated into Networking and have taken quite a few Cisco CCNA classes but have no desire to get any more certificates since they make you recert ever couple years. I HATE school. I enjoy my time off and dont plan on spending it going to school. As long as I can just work and get paid Im happy where I'm at. No need for growth. I make enough to pay my bills and play and certs arent required except for a couple stupid little ones that only take a couple days of study to pass.

If school is your things go for it.

30K??? I make more than that on unemployment. LOL NO way would I work for 30K a year. I make about 3x that now so I'm good. I'm not getting rich but I can enjoy life.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    A+ is a piece of cake. I did all the MCSE calsses back in 1999-2000 just before the change and I somehow migrated into Networking and have taken quite a few Cisco CCNA classes but have no desire to get any more certificates since they make you recert ever couple years. I HATE school. I enjoy my time off and dont plan on spending it going to school. As long as I can just work and get paid Im happy where I'm at. No need for growth. I make enough to pay my bills and play and certs arent required except for a couple stupid little ones that only take a couple days of study to pass.

If school is your things go for it.

30K??? I make more than that on unemployment. LOL NO way would I work for 30K a year. I make about 3x that now so I'm good. I'm not getting rich but I can enjoy life.
    Imagine 90k a year, yeah some employers really laugh in your face, i would settle for 40k to be honest GF makes a good salary too so.

I don't want any certs has you said you always have to go back because after some time they expire.

Thread Information