Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    diponyou is offline Associate Member

mite join the navy,any experienced folks in here

well ive been thinking about joining the navy and a recruiter is coming to my house tomorow to go over it with me.is there any body in here that has gone to the navy or any other sort of armed forces? can any body convince me not to go or maybee to go?or is the air force better?might sound like dumb questions but this is a serious life changing thing.thanks guys

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    if you want someone to have complete control over everything you do...then do it. they pay for school, food, and the roof over your head. plus, great benefits. i was in the army and all i can tell you is dont join that! they treat you like crap. if you join the navy you will have to do at least 6 months sea duty (on a ship or sub) i work with all four services right now and i hear the guys bitch about all kinds of stuff. what ive noticed is that the air force is the best of the four. i would check out an air force recruiter and just see what they have to offer

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    NAVY=Never Again Volunteer Yourself

Quote Originally Posted by xtinaunasty
    if you want someone to have complete control over everything you do...then do it. they pay for school, food, and the roof over your head. plus, great benefits. i was in the army and all i can tell you is dont join that! they treat you like crap. if you join the navy you will have to do at least 6 months sea duty (on a ship or sub) i work with all four services right now and i hear the guys bitch about all kinds of stuff. what ive noticed is that the air force is the best of the four. i would check out an air force recruiter and just see what they have to offer
    yea my grandpa told me the same thing,not to join the army and to join the airforce.but with the airforce you gotta run 2.5 miles,and i can do anything but run long distance,i have ****ed up shins that hurt like a bitch after running for awhile.but on a diff note.ill check with the air force recruiter and see whats up

Smak is offline AR's Midget Beater
    Quote Originally Posted by steve0
    NAVY=Never Again Volunteer Yourself
    LOL. Marines = Signing your life away!

I joined the marines out of high school. I didn't know what I was thinking. I got sent home 2 months in. They gave me a honorable discharge. Don't ask me how!

yea i dont think i wuld join the marines,either the airforce or the navy

TADOLFI is offline Member
    Did time in the Navy - most irresponsible job I ever had.
    Xtinaunasty is right.
    Sea duty bites - if you don't have your school lined up, they put you out on a ship and have you help with cleaning, painting, stocking supplies and every other thing they can think of.
    Most guys end up gambling or drinkin to pass the time.

Air Force, from what I hear, has some better school possibilities and my dad recommended it. (I didn't do it cause I wanted a certain job that only the Navy offered)
    Didn't get that either....but that's another story.
    Go Air Force if you're going. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by diponyou
    yea my grandpa told me the same thing,not to join the army and to join the airforce.but with the airforce you gotta run 2.5 miles,and i can do anything but run long distance,i have ****ed up shins that hurt like a bitch after running for awhile.but on a diff note.ill check with the air force recruiter and see whats up
    in the army you run every day. and have to run 2 miles in a certain amount of time (depending on age...im assuming you are low 20s so the slowest you could run in is like 15:54 to pass)

so yeah, check it out and see what appeals to you. its a big life decision that only you can make

screw the army,i am 20 years old.

aim high in the airforce!!! but navy would be my second choice if i had to do it all over again.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    tell the recruiter to blow offf those get paid for how man people they recruit so he's gonna be pissed or if it were me i would just bail on the appointment

SwoleDave is offline Associate Member
    Join the marines *****!!!

j/k

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    i got out of the air force in 2002, my wife is in and most of my friends are still in. I worked at a joint station and thus I saw marine bases, army bases, navy bases and lived on an af base. I had friends in all services. MOST of them said they wished they joined the af. quality of life is just so much better. marines and army have a lot of 'military stuff' to do. which is funny in a way people joining the military not wanting to do military stuff..hehe. by that i mean morning formations, afternoon formation, formation this, formation that, field exercises, mando formation pt, etc etc. all this and a 8-10 hour work day. very busy. navy ship duty sucks (from most people's perspective). you can go a career without being on ship. but navy (and this is not a hit on the navy or anybody) seems to let anyone in..a lot of navy people are really out of shape and lazy. now that, i know, is a generalization, but thats what i see from my experiences looking at the navy. not all, but a lot. getting to where you live and the bases. marine bases...wow, talk about the most dull places! all the buildings are the same look, same color, food sucks, army bases are well, what youd expect...you see tents on football fields of people doing field exercises, camo webbing in places, formation runs, etc. navy bases, of course lots of boats, a very industrial look to them in a lot of places...af bases, 2 golf courses, beautiful gardens, mess hall food is pretty good, no real mando pt (for the most part, in training yes everyone does, but after training, not really)...usually its "on your own" pt where you get an hour off work 2-3 days a week to "go exercise" which few actually did. all services have an annual pt test so that 2 mile run youd have to do anywhere. and actually af just adopted the run again last year, before that, we would actually measure how fit you were with a stationary bike and heart rate monitor (which is a better gauge imo).

basically it boils down to what you want to do. if you want to use guns, dont join the af or navy. if you want to go to see lots of countries, join the navy and get ship duty. if you want to work a regular 9-5 job that feels like you are working for a corporation and not much 'military' stuff, join the af. the only reason i would join the navy is if i wanted to go to sea. otherwise, i dont see a benefit, oh and do a search on military bases' locations...you'll find that AF bases are for the most part in better areas/countries.

and, no matter what people say, i would recommend the military to everyone. im gonna sound like a commercial now, but honest as i can be, it gave me everything i have today. the skills i learned while enlisted got me the jobs after i got out (i know friends that have 6-8 yrs of college under their belt and degrees beyond ba that cant get jobs i get and i dont have my ba yet! and im making about 40% more than they do with their degrees), got my college paid for. feel free to PM me any questions you have. especially for what recruiters say, if it doesnt sound right to you or if theres something you want to do that the recruiter says you cant, etc. because quite honestly, unfortunatly, a lot of them lie. its hard to find one who is totally upfront because they have quotas and they dont care, once you sign the paper, you wont see them again and theres nothing you can do about it. i just went thru that very thing with a good friend of mine who was looking to join the AF; recruiter told her some total BS and friends and I talked to my friend and told her everything and even went in the 2nd visit with recruiter and sat there and everytime the recruiter said something wrong, wed 'raise the BS' flag and outright say 'you're wrong'. whatever you want, you can 95% usually get. you hold all the cards, you are the one doing them a favor by adding to their quota, not the other way around. make em work for you, its their job.

well in the af do u get to shoot guns.i would like to shoot guns but its not a realy big deal.i would love to just get a good a job while im in there and go to school when im out

no doubt...there is no way i would have the opportunity that i have had because i served. its unbelievable. i have the army to thank for everything i have now. i dont regret any of it.

well in the af do u get to shoot guns.i would like to shoot guns but its not a realy big deal.i would love to just get a good a job while im in there and go to school when im out
    yeah, u get to shoot "guns" all the time... lol

but on the other hand...im glad i got out

no. you will not shoot guns in the AF unless you are an MP or special forces (like pararescue). Otherwise, you will not even qualify again after basic training. at least on your job. you make friends easily in the military and there are always people who use guns on their jobs or like guns that you can befriend and go to the range with.

same here xtina. i have nothing really bad about the military, but my 2 best friends moved to the same area, i was getting close to getting out and had some good job offers in the same area my friends moved and got out. im glad i got out because my pay is a lot better and i can pick where i want to live. while i was in, and when i joined, didnt matter where i lived, i didnt care.

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    Im off to Lackland in 4 weeks....

Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536
    Im off to Lackland in 4 weeks....
    is that for af or what?

yea, lackland is af basic training. good luck jdawg. basic is very easy in the af. the first week you'll be surprised, and whether you are religious or not, you'll come to live sunday church because there are no drill sgts there and you can 'let your hair down'.

Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    yea, lackland is af basic training. good luck jdawg. basic is very easy in the af. the first week you'll be surprised, and whether you are religious or not, you'll come to live sunday church because there are no drill sgts there and you can 'let your hair down'.
    Thx bro.....Im sure Ill be hitting you up with a PM shortly What was your job?

WHATS UP JDAWGso whats the pay like,what can i expect.give me some info on jobs

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    AF is definitely the way to go. Like everyone else said, you do your term, get out and there are opportunities that open up that never would have otherwise. Take me, I've got very little college under my belt and I start a job next week that will pay me $80k a year. Save as much money as you can while you are in. There is no reason not to. Housing, meals, medical...it's all paid for, don't waste it all on X-boxes and take out.

I was a chinese linguist. But i had a great opportunity in that my office was one of very few on station that was its own sys admin for its network. 95% of the time you'll have an office where the people are all 'computer people trained by the af and thats their job' and they handle all computer problems for all the rest of the offices. My office had an amazing sys admin guy (also chinese linguist but he ended up only doing computer stuff but filling a linguist billet) and myself and another guy were like his 'jr admin' that he taught a lot too. and they sent me to some computer classes to get unix sys admin trained and such. so my main job was linguist, and then when people had troubles with network/printers/profiles, i would help with that too.

what job you going into? did you get guarranteed station and if so, where you headed?

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    I was in the Air Force, and from what I saw, it has the best living and working conditions. We had airconditioned dorms in basic training, pretty good food, and I only had KP once, and that was a lot of fun.

It's good place to learn a skill and to get experience in it . . . When I went in, I signed up to be a cop, ended up training sniffer dogs. Pretty good duty, more of a job than anything else. But if I had it to do over again, I'd sign up for something in the medical field, because when you get out (and eventually you will), you're gonna need a job, and there's always gonna be a need for medical people.

Three things to be prepared for:
    1) You will be amazed at how rude people can be during your first week in basic training. Training Instructors will be around to do nothing but make your life miserable. They are paid to do this, and wouldn't bother with you unless the government paid them. So don't take it personally.
    2) When you are standing in formation, do NOT give in to the temptation to smile. If you do, a Training Instructor will notice, and then they will stand two inches away from your nose and shout, "Why are you smiling, you Gxx Dxxx runt? Do you like me? Are you one of those (fill in the blank)?"
    3) After Basic Training, be prepared to deal with the most intractable bureaucracy ever conceived. Everything is Paperwork, and Paperwork is Everything. If someone didn't give permission for something to happen on a piece of paper, it won't happen (even if it does). And if someone didn't document that something did happen on a piece of paper, it didn't happen (even if it did). The paperwork, or lack thereof, defines reality. Pretty weird, but that's how things get done.

But all in all, ya, I'd recommend the USAF. They get the best of everything, and when it comes to battle, they usually send in the Marines first, the Army second, the Navy gets to shoot missiles from off shore, and the only folks who pull triggers in the USAF are the pilots (oh, and the military police, too -- you don't want to end up in that job).

Good luck,

-Tock

WHATS UP JDAWGso whats the pay like,what can i expect.give me some info on jobs
    The pay is not great, bt it aint that bad. I think it starts at around 1100 a month. But when all your food, clothing, and shelter is paid for, its equivalent to making a lot more in the civilian world, so its ok by me. Check out www.airforce.com, they have a lot of cool stuff on there. I dont know all the details though. I joined for a few reasons, the main one being that I want to serve my country. Make sure you know what you are getting into, and talk to as many people as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    I was in the Air Force, and from what I saw, it has the best living and working conditions. We had airconditioned dorms in basic training, pretty good food, and I only had KP once, and that was a lot of fun.

It's good place to learn a skill and to get experience in it . . . When I went in, I signed up to be a cop, ended up training sniffer dogs. Pretty good duty, more of a job than anything else. But if I had it to do over again, I'd sign up for something in the medical field, because when you get out (and eventually you will), you're gonna need a job, and there's always gonna be a need for medical people.

Three things to be prepared for:
    1) You will be amazed at how rude people can be during your first week in basic training. Training Instructors will be around to do nothing but make your life miserable. They are paid to do this, and wouldn't bother with you unless the government paid them. So don't take it personally.
    2) When you are standing in formation, do NOT give in to the temptation to smile. If you do, a Training Instructor will notice, and then they will stand two inches away from your nose and shout, "Why are you smiling, you Gxx Dxxx runt? Do you like me? Are you one of those (fill in the blank)?"
    3) After Basic Training, be prepared to deal with the most intractable bureaucracy ever conceived. Everything is Paperwork, and Paperwork is Everything. If someone didn't give permission for something to happen on a piece of paper, it won't happen (even if it does). And if someone didn't document that something did happen on a piece of paper, it didn't happen (even if it did). The paperwork, or lack thereof, defines reality. Pretty weird, but that's how things get done.

But all in all, ya, I'd recommend the USAF. They get the best of everything, and when it comes to battle, they usually send in the Marines first, the Army second, the Navy gets to shoot missiles from off shore, and the only folks who pull triggers in the USAF are the pilots (oh, and the military police, too -- you don't want to end up in that job).

Good luck,

-Tock
    LMFAO!!!!!!! A True Airman! LOL

You're a good man tock!

i agree with everything tock said. get a job that you either plan on doing till retirement in the military or one that you plan on doing if you get out of the military. if you're gonna be a cop on the outside, be mp. but like tock knows im sure, from what i see mp's can lead a boring job, checkin id's at gates, etc. but mp in the military looks good if you are going into law enforcement, or something like blackwater. if you are interested in computers or analyst jobs or what not on the outside, i cant stress enough to get a job that will give you a clearance. a clearance as a civilian is your meal ticket. guarranteed job and adds a good $15k to your salary just because you have it.

what job you going into? did you get guarranteed station and if so, where you headed?
    Im going into Security Forces. I took the PAST test but was unable to complete it due to injury. I have been rehabbing and supposedly theres a chance Ill get another shot at basic. And no I didnt get guarunteed stationing. whats that all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    oh, and the military police, too -- you don't want to end up in that job).

Good luck,

-Tock
    shit what have i got myself into lol. Why do you say that?

Im going into Security Forces. I took the PAST test but was unable to complete it due to injury. I have been rehabbing and supposedly theres a chance Ill get another shot at basic. And no I didnt get guarunteed stationing. whats that all about?
    I hope you like Wyoming!!!! Cause thats where you're prob. going!!!
    Buwwwwwhahahahahahahahah

I was Security Forces for 2 yrs in the Marines...

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Oh ya, two other things . . .

If you join, they're gonna run the clippers all over your head and leave you with absolutely no hair whatsoever. So don't bother spending $$$ on a haircut before you go.
    And when you go, pack a small suitcase. A gymbag would suffice. Pack some civilian stuff you would want to wear when you get out of Basic Training, like shoes, a few T-shirts, jeans, whatever. Because, as soon as you get to the base, they are going to take your stuff and store it somewhere, and you aren't gonna see it until you finish Basic. You won't be going anywhere, won't be allowed to wear anything but military clothes until you finish Basic. You'll get a small advance on your salary your first week there, and you'll be marched (with everybody else) to the comissary, and you'll be told what to buy, and how much to get.

Oh, and when you buy toothpaste, buy two tubes -- one for display in your locker, and another small one to keep somewhere. You'll figure out why, I'm sure. Um, and find someone before you go in to show you how to spit shine shoes.

-Tock

in the beginning, pay is so-so. but you make 3 ranks (if i remember right) automaically just by being in a certain amount of time. and it varies with where you live too. example, when i was stationed in hawaii, i was getting COLA (cost of living allowance) and it was like $900 a month on top of my normal pay. plus if you live off base, you get a certain amount of money to cover your apartment and you get the max amount even if your rent isnt. so if you get 600 bucks for rent, and you find a place for $400, you're pocketing 200. and some of your pay (like cola) is tax free. about my 3rd year in, i was doing pretty good money wise. if i wanted, i could have frivalously spent money and not had to worry. before that, i could still go out to eat when i wanted or have a few drinks, but couldnt 'overspend'.

shit what have i got myself into lol. Why do you say that?
    Security Forces is totally different from being a MP

hahahha so true!! i never stepped foot in a church until my first (and went till my last) sunday in basic.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleDave
    LMFAO!!!!!!! A True Airman! LOL

You're a good man tock!
    haha yeah that was classic. comparing basic to club med and sheit. haha im not hating tock...just jealous! i wish i was smart enough to go AF. good info too...wish i had someone tell me all that when i was in.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleDave
    I hope you like Wyoming!!!! Cause thats where you're prob. going!!!
    Buwwwwwhahahahahahahahah

I was Security Forces for 2 yrs in the Marines...
    There is a big shortage in Iraq right now, there was a huge article in the paper yesterday about how airman are being trained as gunners for convoys, interrogators in prisons, and as prison guards. Plus there are other things that you can train into from security forces so I hear.

There is a big shortage in Iraq right now, there was a huge article in the paper yesterday about how airman are being trained as gunners for convoys, interrogators in prisons, and as prison guards. Plus there are other things that you can train into from security forces so I hear.
    Well, i cant speak for the Air Force, but SF in the Marines was a non-deployable post, unless you were part of FAST. I did nuclear weapons security while i was in, and i know for a fact that my AF counterparts did as well, in WY. I really dont see them sending SF to Iraq, like i said, i cant speak for the AF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information