Pinkvelvet is offline Female Member

Who thinks one week off is a Good Idea?

So, I've been throwing around this subject with another member and I thought I would ask what other AR member opinions might be!

My cycle ended December 5th. I don't start cutting till March 7th. I'm not sure my trainer will have me cycle again....I assume she will. Anyways....My trainer told me to take the week off between Christmas and New Years; entirely! No training and no off season dieting.
    Now....This member thought this was a crazy idea; since I'm now at the peak of getting some really good gains just after my cycle and that I shouldn't be taking a break.
    I have been still eating clean---just with more cheats as usual. And, I am enjoying the break from training...I was starting to feel a bit burnt out.
    Now, I'm not one to question my trainer's experience nor expertise; therefore, I never did.

So, I'm wondering...what's your opinion on this?
    Someone's Little Pumpkie

AnabolicAndre is offline Anabolic Member
    sure, why not?

Kinda throwing your body off balance. remember your body looks to achieve homeostatsis. Not to mention after a week off you will probably want to really be there, and may have some more intense workouts.

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    i read many studies that a little time off like a week or two is actually very good for your body and growing. i couldnt exactly explain why unless i found those articles but i do it once in a great while and dont have any problems getting back into the flow.

mesomorph is offline Associate Member
    I loose a lot when I take a week totally off. So after going off I take it easy for a week, drop the weight about 10% while still doing about the same reps & nock off a set here and there.

But I think this is an area everyone is different.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    After beating your body up for a while you NEED time off. It will help growth and also CNS. If you lose a lot in a week something is wrong with you. Remember i said take time off from the gym but you should still watch the diet.

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    I pretty much forced my training partner to take this week off. However, he is eating clean (1 cheat meal a day). Before this, the last break he took was around a year ago when he had the flu.

Personally, I take two weeks off a year. My first week off is the last week in June. The second is the last week of December. As far as diet, I would do the same as I told my buddy. Have one cheat meal a day, as long as it is not late at night.

Honestly, the time off just might trigger some new muscle growth, and increased desire to hit the gym (even more than now).

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    taking a week break.. on or off cycle is often the key to making better gains..

the body heals, and starts to adjust, so when you go back at it again it is more able to facilitate growth..

plus, if you get burnt out.. how long will you be out of the gym??
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Yeah, a week of isnt a bad idea, but it depends on what gear you were running. Sometimes my best gains are 3-4 wks after the cycle b/ half life upon half lives of the drugs has been built up, and when there is no more it all starts to unravel into awesome workouts for the few wks following cycle. It's usually 4-5 wks after cycle I start to "crash" if you will. I say stick it out one more wk if your still having good lifts, and then take a wk off. The goal here is to build as much muscle off season as possible, so when you cut your looking that much more chiseled at the same if not slightly more weight than u were last show. But I def see where your trainer is coming from w/ more cheat meals and such. There has to come a time when you splurge a little, that way its easier to stick to your diet and contest prep when its time for business.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I take a few weeks off a year (3 weeks)................. You need the breaks just like anything else in life.......... too much and you could end up hating it.

Smak is offline AR's Midget Beater
    1 week is fine. That's pushing it for me though. I can't go any longer than that. I try to do it twice a year.

ttuprincess is offline Anabolic Member
    I think its a great idea... if your feeling you want it, your body probably needs it!

hoss827 is offline Banned
    A week off is great.....the natural guys like myself usually take one off every three weeks, or two off every six.....The diet stays clean, but I still have cheat weekends. It shocks your bodys metabolism into overdrive and makes it think "WOAH!!! WTF WAS THAT!" lol

FranKieC is offline "AR's Pretty Boy"
    A week off would be great before starting to cut Just keep eating clean and you will be fine.

edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    i would take a week off of training at a high intensity, but i would still get to the gym even if its just to walk around cause it sucks going back after a week off!

Booz is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    i think takin a week off every now and then is good for you mate!!it will give your body time to rest and recuporate totally,when you get back to it you will be supercharged to get straight back to the task at hand!!listen to your trainer he knows wat he is talkin about!!

Mizfit is offline Banned
    taking a week off is a great idea.. espcially if u were starting to feel drained.. i went through about 7 months without taking time off.. and thought the idea was nuts...

Then i took .. not a week but 5 days.. when i went back i felt stronger.. i'm not even training for anything or on cycle so i can imagine what it would do for u

Booz is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizfit
    taking a week off is a great idea.. espcially if u were starting to feel drained.. i went through about 7 months without taking time off.. and thought the idea was nuts...

Then i took .. not a week but 5 days.. when i went back i felt stronger.. i'm not even training for anything or on cycle so i can imagine what it would do for u
    exactly!!

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life
    After beating your body up for a while you NEED time off. It will help growth and also CNS. If you lose a lot in a week something is wrong with you. Remember i said take time off from the gym but you should still watch the diet.
    Look good buddy, everyone is different. If you have just struggled like a damn madman to put 3 reps on your bench, so you went from 5 to 8 reps in one month. Then you lost 3 reps by taking a week off, then you lost ONE WHOLE MONTHS LIFTING no matter how you slice it, that is a big loss!

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I'll hit this from another angle.

Before a fight I usually take a week to ten days off. Keeping my diet clean and loading up on lots of rest and water. Then the day of the fight I fight like my life depends on it, I've such huge reserves of energy and an appetite to go again. This brings a renewed sense of confidence and my training steps up another level for sometimes months.

I bet the same will happen to you after your week. Let us know how you get on please.

JR.SHRED is offline Associate Member
    time off equals rest and one week when worn out is great.

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    I take a week off every 8 to 12 weeks to get a break and then shock the body into extra growth when I get back into the gym.

Alex2 is offline Senior Member
    I take a week off every three months or so. It is great idea. I feel stronger and highly motivated.

Once again I appear to be the odd one out.....

I tried the week off thing, quite a few times, at the end of each cycle, and in every case my losses in strength were worse that week than any other. So now just having one light week I found works much better.

HASN'T ANYONE ELSE TRIED THAT OR HAD THE SAME EXPERIANCE??!??!?!?!?

Pinkvelvet is offline Female Member
    I really appreciate everyone's input!
    I feel like a total marshmallow not training...but, feeling really good about giving my body a rest.

I've been training so hard for four months straight, and felt rest was well needed.

I'm just really worried about heading back to the gym and losing some of the gains I've achieved.

Keep the suggestions and experiences coming!

Much Appreciated.
    Someone's Little Pumpkie

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkvelvet
    I really appreciate everyone's input!
    I've been training so hard for four months straight, and felt rest was well needed. I would say you should rest 3 weeks a year for maximum gains and recuperation. For example, the last week in April, August, and December (every four months). I may just add an extra week off in my schedule.

I'm just really worried about heading back to the gym and losing some of the gains I've achieved. I guarnatee this will not happen. On the contrary, you will probably be stronger, and be even more invigorated to hit the gym, like I said before.

If the rest week happens to be in the middle of a cycle, you can postpone it.

On that note I'm off to do a heavy back w/o.

jerseyboy is offline Anabolic Member
    I lost a week over Christmas and being sick and I felt like a lazy piece of shit. I lost the pump and felt really guilty and depressed because training is therapeutic for me. But when I finally went back I was strong if not stronger and the pump came right back. I say a week is good for you if you can take it mentally. For me 3 or 4 days is enough.

Thread Information