David B. is offline Member

Bone Marrow Transplant?

My 79-year-old dad has had leukemia for a long time, but it never gave him any trouble 'til last spring. Since then, he's been in and out of the hospital several times, and has been enduring aggressive chemotherapy. This summer I was sure he was gonna die but now he seems a lot better, his hair has grown back, his appetite is back and he's put on some weight. But his blood counts are still screwed up, especially platelets.

I've reminded him at regular intervals that if he ever needs a bone marrow transplant, I'll be glad to donate some. Recently he kinda hinted that he might have to take me up on that offer. Gulp!

What is involved in a bone marrow transplant? I assume they take it from the donor's femur, since that's the largest bone, right? How do they take it? Do they just use a big needle, or is there cutting involved? Is it an out-patient procedure? Are there any lingering after-affects after donating marrow? How much time off would I have to take from the gym? No, I'm not trying to weasel out of my offer, I just need to know what to expect and how to plan for it. I'm the only member of his immediate family left, and we have the same blood type, so I'm the only easy match available to him. (He has one sister left, but she's in her 80s, and lives far away.)

And then there's the big question -- how would Anabolic Steroid use affect my suitability as a donor?

--dnb

PushButton is offline New Member
    Much props to you brother, all I know on the subject is that it is MORE painful for the donor than than the donee'......good luck
    Last edited by PushButton; 11-14-2002 at 02:18 PM.

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    you need a little more than ABO and Rh blood compatibility to be a match. There are other cell surface epitopes that can give problems, but a doctor can do a quick screen. anyway, they use a huge ass needle and from what i understand its very painful. other than that you can probably look online for more info

Red5 is offline Associate Member
    Sorry to hear about your old man, my mum had leukemia so i know just how awful it can be.I think that they take your bone marrow from your pelvis.You lay on your stomach and they go in just above your arse, at the top of your crack(sorry to be so blunt) and is just about the most painful thing any human being can do because they don't give you any anasthetic.You have my upmost respect and admiration for even considering to go through with it, i know i couldn't.

David B. is offline Member
    So I guess I shouldn't start another cycle until I know if and/or when I may need to donate marrow?

--dnb

Thread Information