Thread: Asinine friend

mammoth is offline Member

Asinine friend

Ok, this should probably go in the workout question forum, however this thread is more about a rant as opposed as a question about training. How many of you know one of these kinds of people.....

Every Sunday afternoon I play tennis with a acquaintance of mine. If it weren't for the mutual interest in tennis and gear then we would probably never hang out. The guy has made huge strides in his goals, because he once weighed in at over 300 lbs at roughly 6'3" and now he probably floats around the 200 mark. He carries this attitude that nobody knows anything about training and that he is the guru when it comes to working out. He trains at home with a limited amount of equipment. I have never really paid too much attention to his build or physique. Well this past Sunday we are out on the court sweating our asses off and he takes off his shirt as if to show off his "hard-earned" gains and fat loss. It was laughable. He had barely any definition, a spare tire, his pecs were fairly flat, and he strutted around with his air-lats. While playing he made non-stop excuses as to why he was playing like shit. In the course of his ranting he mentioned that his wrist hurts everytime he plays tennis. I asked him if he ever worked his forearms. To this, he laughed and said that working the forearms was a complete waste of time. I was shocked and kind of set back by his ignorance. I actually got angry at him. It had more to do with the fact that this whole time I had a inkling of respect for him as a weightlifter and after seeing his development and his remark about training the forearms, I lost all respect that I had for him. I feel guilty for saying this because I have never been one to criticise anyone. However after months of him boasting and his condescension, I can't help but laugh at this guy. After we finished our match, we started walking towards the running track. There was man walking the track who had a big beer gut sticking out. You could tell the guy just started to try and get himself in shape. Well, this fucker had the nerve to say that I had the same build as this guy. I know what I look like and I know that I don't have a huge beer gut. I wanted so bad to just pound him with my racquet!

To sum up I wanted to send a message to everyone out there. Be respectful of others in this game. Constructive criticism is ok however don't throw stones if you live in a glass house. We all have a complex about what we look like. Some of us are busting our asses to achieve our goals and some of us don't have to work as hard. Everyone deserves the same amount of respect though. All in all, DON'T BE THAT "GUY"!

halifaxsteve is offline Member
    air lats

i think there's a few of those guys everywhere...

i agree tho, ppl deserve props for making an effort!
    Last edited by halifaxsteve; 06-09-2003 at 08:21 AM.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer

Re: Asinine friend

I don't see a need to hurt someones feelings. If you ask my opion on something I will be honest but there are still ways to say things and not hurt someones feelings.

I may feel this way because I was that short fat kid growing up and was made fun of. I transformed my body over the years to what it is today but I still remeber how it felt when I was made funof as a kid.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    You did the right thing by taking the high road on that one Mammoth. Shame he didn't follow the addage; better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt".

I can't stand for anyone to say anything about other people in a crule or mean spirited manner. I'm with TheMudMan, theres a way to say something without sounding like an ass. I was the big fat kid in school as well and have worked my butt off to change myself inside and out. But I still remember what it feels like to be picked on or to be the butt of a joke and I'll not do that to another being.

Mammoth, cast not you're pearls among the swine. Give them to the good bro's on this board, we'll listen and will use them. I'm saying this in regards to the forearm training with your tennis buddy.

mammoth is offline Member

Re: Re: Asinine friend

Originally posted by TheMudMan

I may feel this way because I was that short fat kid growing up and was made fun of. I transformed my body over the years to what it is today but I still remeber how it felt when I was made funof as a kid.
    Its funny that you say that. From what I gather this guy was one of those fat kids who got made fun of when he was younger. The problem is that once he lost all that weight he adopted a different attitude than you. He has this shirt that has a picture of a huge fat guy on it and on the back it say "Dear god....WHY??". He now holds this mightier than thou attitude towards anyone who is fatter or even skinnier than he is.

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    i don't get that, just from the work i need to put forth to see results, i have this amazing respect for ANYBODY who's trying. Beginner, Competitor or someplace in the middle. If you're willing to do what it takes, or even try....that deserves respect. When i first started, a buddy of mine told me that if i left my ego at the door, i'd have better results. When i step into that gym i'm no better, no stronger and absolutely no smarter than anybody else in there. that might keep me outta some trouble too, who knows Anyways, I'd woulda had the same problem with your buddy...congrats on keepin your mouth shut

Thread Information