Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By zimmy
  • 1 Post By treant

Thread: wrist hurts

johnq is offline Associate Member

wrist hurts

I started boxing 4 weeks ago, I didnt strap my wrists up in the beginning, and now my wrist hurts, But only when hitting the big and when i do weights but only on pushing exercises, I now strap my wrists when i go boxing. Ive had a week off because i went on holiday so i rested my wrist. I started back on monday and it still hurts when i train, any suggestions to fix the problem, i dont wont to stop training. Do u now wot i done to my wrist

Mark Yager is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnq
    I started boxing 4 weeks ago, I didnt strap my wrists up in the beginning, and now my wrist hurts, But only when hitting the big and when i do weights but only on pushing exercises, I now strap my wrists when i go boxing. Ive had a week off because i went on holiday so i rested my wrist. I started back on monday and it still hurts when i train, any suggestions to fix the problem, i dont wont to stop training. Do u now wot i done to my wrist
    You can try some glucosomine and aleve but probably the best thing to do is take the time off to let it heal up.

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    Wrist injury could be from a bone injury or from an injury in one of the very thin tendon/ligament chords. If you twist your hand slowly from side to side and it hurts then it could be the ligaments in which case u need to stop training and get it checked out for tears and maybe get surgery/physical therapy.

If its just impact to the bone i got that one time and the pain stayed for ages, i seriously rested for so long and the pain didnt go away, i took calcium supplements and glucosamine and it got better after 3 months.

It dont hurt moving from side to side, only when i put pressure onto the flat part of my palm.
    I will try those supplements you mentioned, Cheers for the advice.

Mark Yager is offline Junior Member
    It might be sprung. One of the guys I train with got me in an omo plata, or however it's spelled, and put on a wrist lock when I didn't tap. Felt no pain that night but the next day my wrist was jacked. I had to go easy with it for about three weeks untill it healed up. Benching and backarms made it hurt the worst so I didn't lift hardly at all during that time. Injuries suck, especially if you get hurt right after you pay your training fee and can't train.

It hurts when i bench press or shoulder press. Sometimes training pisses me off, They say no pain no gain, So i will strap it up and stop sulking and get on with it.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    you shouldn't have been punching w/ power when you are just starting out... form and quickness matter way more than hitting a bag hard...

anyway... that being said... if you don't take it easy so you can rest those wrists...they'll never heal.
    corestorm likes this.

when i go next, ill take it easy by practising my speed and form, cheers for the advise

Idunno is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    you shouldn't have been punching w/ power when you are just starting out... form and quickness matter way more than hitting a bag hard...

anyway... that being said... if you don't take it easy so you can rest those wrists...they'll never heal.

good advice.. let it heal and work on form/technique instead of power and you'll end up gaining from this experience rather than losing...

Diary of a Mad-man is offline Associate Member
    I am going to the doctor tommorow for my wrist. A week ago, I was arm wrestling a dude 50 lbs larger than me (and not a fat-ass), and he got my wrist bent back. I held it and held it, and my wrist popped about 5 times. This was a week ago. I haven't been able to do anything but working out left limbs and running.

After reading this though, Im glad I made the DR appointment. I am one of those guys who NEVER goes, but the pain wont go away. Its the rotation pain, I can push ok.

If I didnt make the appointment, I would have read this and made it, for a week from now......thanks guys.

(I have been reading this site for so long, I didnt realize this was finaly my first post).

ive given up arm wrestling everytime i do it i **** my arm up it takes weeks 2 get better.

paleocaveman is offline New Member
    Time is your best friend. If you must train, be sure to tape and ice afterwards.

mauler is offline Associate Member
    wrap those boys up, its a lot easier

treant is offline Junior Member
    Based on the pain you described it sounds like you cranked your hand backwards when you hit the bag. Hand wraps wont prevent that. you have to be really careful. Its something you will have to focus on for a while. keeping your knuckles and forearm all in a straight line...
    After a while it just wont ever happen anymore.. I only boxed for like a year but when i work on the bag now its just second nature to have the knuckles and arm all in a straight line.. so its no big deal.

In the mean time you can either punch carefully and softly with that hand or just work the other hand.. if its your right, just work the jab.. jab jab hook. try for low hook high hook.. jab hook.. you know whatever.. its good to work same hand punches in a row because its unexpected.. and its tough to get good at too.
    corestorm likes this.

corestorm is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnq View Post
    Hey, your coach should have told you this but just in-case I will elaborate. Wrist straps will not work, 100% what you have done to your wrists is whaled on a heavy bag with little to no technique, you need to hit that thing like your tickling a baby, until you get proper technique, your wrist injury will not go away, until you lay off the heavy bag, do strength building exercises at least, you're going to run into a lot of hick ups at first, due to 'a shitty coach' or over training, shin splits wrist and shoulder injuries the list goes on... I use DECA - HGH when i'm injured mind you i'm always on grow, regardless keep ice on it, and lay off the heavy, when you get back on it, light punches, remember it's for technique, no one in the gym gives a **** how hard you can hit, and at the end of the day without proper form it will not matter because you're head will get removed in the ring anyways, just keep training speak to your coach, and ice those babies.

Thread Information