Phixion is offline New Member

College making bulking rough-advice.

I’ve always been skeptical about bulking because I’m not to thrilled about the risks of adding fat and loosing definition- Therefore I usually stay on a stable nutritious diet…Lately however I’m disappointed with my plateau in size, strength and weight.
    I’m 18 years old I look like I weight 170 at about 10-12% but most people say I look like I weight more. I know to gain mass eating like an animal is a must.

Biggest obstacle besides gaining any unwanted body fat is that I’m in college and living on campus…Eating high quality beef and chicken in large amounts can dent my pockets…. There is a hall stove but the dorms are small and I can’t store frozen things in my refrigerator. Ultimately I’m relying to heavily on supplements which is rough when trying to bulk… And it’s college; all of the restaurants are fast food joints like pizza and Wendy’s
    I was wondering if you have ideas, and some advice for a youth trying to bulk…. Here is diet sample

**My first class is at 12:30 so I usually I don’t wake up until 11. **

11:30 A.M - Protein bar (bad, but its easy and quick before class)
    3:00 P.M – Turkey/ham sandwich on wheat, piece of fish or chicken, ½ cup black beans, veggies or brown rice. (This meal is from the cafeteria so they use corn oil so it wont stick)
    5:00 P.M -Protein bar, tbsp Flax, maybe some tuna or I usually I also have some of my roommate’s lunch leftovers, which might be some salad with grilled chicken.
    6:30-8:00 P.M workout
    8:15 P.M PWO- 2 scoops whey, 80g Dextrose
    9:00 P.M PPWO: 2 cans of tuna and maybe some veggies, or 2 rice cakes (I don’t have the carbs on hand usually and going out to eat will be to expensive and insufficient.
    11:00 P.M 2 scoops of slow absorbing Casein shake 1 tbsp of Flax oil.

Sometimes if I wake up early I eat about 4 egg whites, 3 whole eggs, and 1 cup of grits from the cafeteria (one again they use corn oil so it does stick =(Otherwise I don’t get this meal-so this is inconsistent.

It’s obvious that I need to find a way to get more REAL MEALS and more calories. Even the grilled chicken and fish in the cafeteria is cheap fish.
    I obviously need more calories and REAL MEALS. But hopefully you guys have some advice and help with a diet regime that isn’t too costly and easy to prepare.

*Since I got here I’ve been having some alcohol and beer-but I don’t anymore since I’ve decided to bulk…*

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    eat some oats for your carbs they are the best carbs you can get IMO and its not pricey

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    chicken, tuna, lentils, beans are cheap and good foods that wont make you fat. I am in college aswell and I know how hard it is to afford stuff but food prices over there(assuming you live in the usa)is like 1/3 of here and I can manage so Im sure you can. Just takes some more energy.

I often ride my bike(regular bicycle)for half a hour to get meat 1 buck cheaper. Thats what it takes to make ends meet.

A whey shake with some veggies and lentils at the side is as good as any "real meal" you can imagine and alot cheaper to.

mitch911 is offline Member
    id say get rid of the bar in the morn just have some oats with a shake or a shake with some fat ..those bars a crap

dwaynewade is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    chicken, tuna, lentils, beans are cheap and good foods that wont make you fat. I am in college aswell and I know how hard it is to afford stuff but food prices over there(assuming you live in the usa)is like 1/3 of here and I can manage so Im sure you can. Just takes some more energy.

I often ride my bike(regular bicycle)for half a hour to get meat 1 buck cheaper. Thats what it takes to make ends meet.

A whey shake with some veggies and lentils at the side is as good as any "real meal" you can imagine and alot cheaper to.

well the bike ride to and from (1hr) will also cost you calories that if bulking will be harder or more expensive to gain back... lol, I know what you're saying though just keeping stuff in perspective since the man is trying to get the best bang for the buck, I agree on the oats and oatmeal... "cheap and effective". So is milk if you don't mind dairy(for protein). Eggs(protein)egg whites- will have to consume in 1-2 days so they won't go bad w/o refrigeration. ummm... alot of bread (bran, or wheat)(carbs)... umm... some fruits 60-100 carbs in bananas(carbs)...dex and more dex... umm. Nuts. And find out which fast foods are healthiest, there are a few meals out there that stack up pretty well. keep pumping. low cardio if bulking, also try and see if you could sneek a snack in betwwen your long sleep hours. c ya

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewade
    well the bike ride to and from (1hr) will also cost you calories that if bulking will be harder or more expensive to gain back... lol, I know what you're saying though just keeping stuff in perspective since the man is trying to get the best bang for the buck, I agree on the oats and oatmeal... "cheap and effective". So is milk if you don't mind dairy(for protein). Eggs(protein)egg whites- will have to consume in 1-2 days so they won't go bad w/o refrigeration. ummm... alot of bread (bran, or wheat)(carbs)... umm... some fruits 60-100 carbs in bananas(carbs)...dex and more dex... umm. Nuts. And find out which fast foods are healthiest, there are a few meals out there that stack up pretty well. keep pumping. low cardio if bulking, also try and see if you could sneek a snack in betwwen your long sleep hours. c ya
    the bike ride is maby 300-400kcal so its well worth the money

I am a leugem crasy ****er they just have alot of benifits over oats that goes beyond bodybuilding alone. Taste better to but the preparation of soaking beans and such is a pain in the ass though and probably very hard in a small dorm kitchen.

pasta is probably the cheapest carb source in the world. 2,2ibs is like 0,2$ over here. A handfull of seeds before and the gi becomes decent aswell.
    Pasta and homemade meatballs rocks. Make the meatballs out of ground beef, oatmeal, 2-3 eggs and nothing more except spices. Not awfully fatty, cheap and taste great.

I say skip the fast food and make some nice chicken/tuna sandwiches that you bring with you. Avoid the fast food as much as you can its more expensive then making your own food and better for you muscles aswell. Doesnt take all that long either. I prepare all my meals for a day at uni in like 15 minutes tops.

Here in sweden eggs is a very expensive protein source if eating egg whites. Whole eggs is decent though. Dont know the deal over there.

A whey shake with a avacado in it fills you upp pretty good. Quick, easy, cheap and loaded with healthy fats and good protein.

Phixion is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewade

I made a quick stop to the groceries today. Stocked up instant oatmeal (the unsweetened of course), tuna, some peanuts and like 5 dozen eggs, some skim milk and whole wheat bread.....I'm allowed to have a small refrigerator w/o a freezer....Besides the shakes, I pretty much live on those foods-especailly the tuna.....Lately I've been getting tuna and egged out-getting massive cravings for a nice home cooked ginormous steak and chicken breasts At least I get to mix it up when I eat at the campus dinners-except its all junk

bro meat is good in the refridgerator for almost a week so eat some meat

Jester is offline New Member
    You can buy precooked chisken at Walmart... you gotta look for it. You can buy a precooked turkey breat, too.
    Eat canned chicken..... boil some eggs and take them with you.
    Drink skim milk.... no fat and the same protein content as whole milk.

Thread Information