junk2222yard is offline Associate Member

Whey Protein, Carbs and Sugar

Hello learned members,
    I am posting this in the nutrition section as opposed to supplements because I am coming at it from the vantage point of looking at whey protein as a food source.

The simple question is, what is the best Whey Protein?

I did a search and read many pages of info, and for the most part the answers seemed to be "buy isolate" and after that, the cheaper the better. But it can't be that simple? Seems to me you will have to take into account how much carbs, cholesterol, sugar and type of sweeteners.

Is there any company that makes whey protein with almost no additives or sweeteners? Or any place that has very simple but high quality whey isolate in bulk?

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Unflavoured isolate shouldn't have any sweeteners and would only have absolute minimum carbs and fat (less than 1%). There should be nothing else added except maybe an emulsifier.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

To get things going, here is a look at my current protein shake: ON French Vanilla Whey Isolate:

One scoop of 31g:
    Calories 120
    Total Fat 2g
    Sat Fat 1g
    Cholesterol 30g
    Sodium 10g
    Total Carb 4g
    Sugar 1g
    Protein 24g

Ingredients: Protein Blend (whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, whey peptides), Natural and Artifical Flavors, Lecithin, Salt, Acesulfame Potassium, Aminogen[R], sucralose, Lactase.

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    Unflavoured isolate shouldn't have any sweeteners and would only have absolute minimum carbs and fat (less than 1%). There should be nothing else added except maybe an emulsifier.
    Can you recommend one that you use or like?

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by junk2222yard
    Can you recommend one that you use or like?
    I could, but I'm in the UK. Your national bulk powder manufacturer should be able to help you out. I've never seen a branded unflavoured whey isolate.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

alex.mitev is offline Associate Member
    In the states there was truenutrition company where you can order whatever you want unflavoured, similar to bulk powders in the UK....

Quote Originally Posted by alex.mitev View Post
    In the states there was truenutrition company where you can order whatever you want unflavoured, similar to bulk powders in the UK....
    THanks! I checked out there site and there are so many types of protein offered it is hard to figure out? For isolates there are:

1. Whey Protein Isolate Cold-Filtration [Milk]
    2. Whey Protein Isolate Microfiltrated [Milk]
    3. Whey Protein Isolate – CFM Cross-Flow Microfiltration [Milk]

Do you know which to choose?

alex.mitev is offline Associate Member
    And one more thing, I`m almost 100% postitive Now foods have unflavoured powders.

Back on the topic, there are many standpoints as to whether more purified means better quality. Come on, depends on your personal preference. MIne is high quality protein concentrate simply because is less processed. Have spent in the past quite a good chunk of my income on expensive whey isolates and i regret. Now i buy whey, soy, wheat blend 90 % protein content... and it`s just fine as long as the rest/majority of your diet is comprised of high qualitiy protein sources such as chicken, beef, cottage cheese, eggs. Amino acid profiles are complementary!

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    That protein is average at best , its 77% protein content per scoop. I usually try and shoot for 85% plus.
    Divide the grams per scoop by total grams per scoop and multiply by 100.

Thread Information