Thread: Help with diet

Mathyis is offline New Member

Help with diet

I started working out again and i guess my diet isn't to good lol, i will be reading sticky's on here but I am also looking for some help. I want to lose the fat and gain mass. I am 245lbs now want to get to at least 220lbs here is my diet

Meal 1
    protein shake

Meal 2
    Bowl of cereal with 2% milk <raisin bran>

Meal 3
    1 piece of fruit
    protein shake

Meal 4
    Turkey Sandwich on wheat

Meal 5
    Tuna Fish
    protein shake

Meal 6
    2 pieces of Chicken
    1 scoop of white rice

Meal 7
    Protein shake

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    2 pieces of Chicken
    1 scoop of white rice
    Tuna Fish
    Turkey Sandwich on wheat

this is like two small meals. I know you are cutting but I bet people are gonna say you are undereating and not eating the right stuff. wait for an expert.

in the meantime
    bmr
    tdee
    training schedule etc. will help get things moving

jamyjamjr is offline Banned
    Welcome to the diet forum....

please take the time to follow these directions, they will better prepair the both of us for the critique and tweaking of your diet..

you need to figure our your BMR (this is the basal metabolic rate of your body... which means if you were to do nothing all day, ur body would burn these many calories)

once u'v figured out your BMR, u need your TDEE (this is your total daily energy expenditure, it's based upon your activity level)

But first things first, please post up your current diet.. you have to be brutally honest about what you've been eating on average for the last few weeks so i know where your metabolism is at..
    please include macros

MACROS = pro/fat/cal/carb of every meal and a daily total on the bottom
    you can use fitday . com to help you our with this... be as detailed and specific as possible

please include the time of when u eat and the time of your workout

also tell me what your workout reg is...

BMR formula

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

in order to figure out your bmr, you need to know what your lean body mass is.. so, in turn, u need to know what your body fat percentage is...

if you dont know your bodyfat percentage, go to your gym and get tested (please dont use electronic scales to get your bf checked, they're horrible)

if you cannot find a gym to get tested at, please post up a picture for estimates, we're pretty good at it (you also have the option of pming it to me if you have more then 25 posts)

Total weight x bf in decimel form = total bf weight

Total weight - total bf weight = total lean body mass

if your total lean body mass is in lbs, u can divide it by 2.2 to get it in kilograms..

for example..

i am 6'4 275lbs at 14% bf... so i would multiply 275 by .14 (converted from percent to decimal)= 38.5lbs

275 - 38.5 = 236.5lbs lean body weight

236.5 / 2.2 = 107.5 lean mass in kg

370 + (21.6 x 107.5) = 2692 BMR (this is high for the average person, im a big guy)

TDEE

Once u have you bmr, u need to calculate your TDEE, this is simply done with some multiplication...

you can multiply it by an activity number to figure out your daily caloric expenditure, be honest here as this is the very cornerstone of your diet, if you are between two of the below activity levels then just multiply by a number in between them

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Once you have your TDEE, i need you to watch these videos

Milos Sarcev "Secret of the Pro's" on Nutrition

So you wanna learn how to Diet?

this video will give you a great idea as to what your diet should be looking like and the foods you should be eating..

it's also very informative as to how dieting works and what you need to be doing..

once you've aquired this vast knowledge and done what i'v asked of you, please post up a new diet for critiquing and finalization...
    please include macros and times just as before...

try to remember that dieting is not an overnight thing.. it takes time and patience....

Age 32
    Height 6'1
    Weight 245lbs
    BF% unknown <fat>
    Diet (details please)*
    I also drink 7 liters of water a day

Cycle Exp? none
    PCT Knowledge none
    Training Exp Work out 5 times a week, run 6 days a week

25-27%

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by jamyjamjr View Post
    25-27%
    I think J3 is in a very good mood today. I would have you on the wrong side of 30% and by a pretty good margin at that. The good news is once you get your diet and cardio dialed in you can make some incredible progress for months at a time.

As far as your goal of losing fat and gaining mass. I would focus 100% on the former. Any attempt at trying to gain mass at this point is going to be an obstacle to the main problem which is the high amount of bodyfat.

u think i underestimated it fire??? 6'1 245..

maybe i am off.. fire would be a better estimator then i would...

what do you think fire.. let's give him a good estimate so we can move on..

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    its hard to tell..

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    well you can tell he holds most of his weight around his stomach.
    where the arm and chest dont seem to hold as much.
    I have to say once you have your diet spot on and accurate, you are going make some incrediable progress.

I can see it coming off quickly if you do everything right..
    Do you drink much alcohol or anything of that sort>??

Quote Originally Posted by jamyjamjr View Post
    u think i underestimated it fire??? 6'1 245..

maybe i am off.. fire would be a better estimator then i would...

what do you think fire.. let's give him a good estimate so we can move on..
    I was basing it a lot on the fact that I dont see a lot of underlying muscle. If he was 26% and he was able to lose just fat and no lean he would be 7% at 195lbs. (my avi is 190 @ about 6%) That would make him one of the more muscular dudes on this site. The only reason I got in was I didnt want his lean to be figured at too high an amount and have him end up overeating.

Also, from the top up he looks like he would weigh quite a bit more than 245lbs which tells me he probably has thin legs for his frame. Another sign of not a lot of underlying muscle. No matter what its going to be a educated guess on his %. If you are going to get his diet started J3 I would be ready to adjust it more often than usual because of all the guesswork involved. He is really going to have to monitor his progress and be sure he hits his diet numbers on the nose so you know what needs to be added or subtracted.

^^^ good point bud...

to the OP.. please watch the videos and post up a diet for critique... your first diet is horrible, but the videos will give you a good idea how to get started..

Thank you and fire your right i do have small legs i have always been like that

Thread Information