worldknown is offline Banned

Smith Machine Squat?

Im kind of al ittle freaked of dropping the bar so would it be okay if i did the squats ont he smith machine? Would there be any difference between the two and how much they work each muslce? Thanks guys

xfade7 is offline Member
    it's easier to do heavy weight on smith machines and u dont have to use as many stabilizer muscles.. but its better than not doing squats at all.

xfade7

se11 is offline Associate Member
    smith machines are my favorite way to squat. they might not be the best, but they are my favorite

decadbal is offline Banned
    yea its not as good as free squats, but if u cant do those, then stick to the SM, if u can, then id hit the free squats and do that, you can def tell a difference, try it and see

worldknown is offline Banned
    okay thanks guys, cause my personal trainer whos a moron and taught me how to deadlift wrong told me to do squats on the smith machine, and i know since hes a retard its not gonna work as well, he said thats al he does and it works the same. lool thx guys

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    World,

Ya know what bro? you said a mouthfull! There are some losers pretending to be personal trainers these days! There are a couple guys at my gym that shouldn't be mixing protein drinks let alone be training anyone!
    The Certification Systems out there aren't working.

I was lucky though, I worked with a trainer that trained several Pro Wrestlers! He knew his stuff and helped me get through some injuries!

Keep an eye out for the right guy!

BTW, the Smith machine squats are OK in my book!

Good Luck, MJ

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    You can do it in a cage. At least you won't have to worry about dropping it. And Smith Machines are built differently. At least there are different types. Some have counter weight, some allow more movement than other, such as side to side, one end being allowed to move higher than the other, etc. My Smith Machine at home has a lot of free play and their's no counter weight. I like the feel of the other machines because it seems more stable, but you're doing less work. In any case, if you can move the bar around a bit, then you are using the stabilizers more than the more restrictive Smith Machines, but doing squats in a cage is probably the best way to go.

xfade7 is offline Member
    yea, when i do my squats i just set my auto-spotting bars or whatever they are on my bench gym higher and squat there (moving the bench). that way if i cant handle it all or drop it.. it doesnt go far and doesnt injure me.

xfade7

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    If youre new to squatting the smith wouldnt be a bad idea to get the motion of the ocean down. When you get more experienced then try moving to a power rack with "oh $hit" bars. I wouldnt use a smith because one of my buddies was using one for squats and it turned a lil bit to the front on him and the hooks caught under the pegs when he was all the way down n couldnt get back up. He strained his back by tryin to get up again. Thats about the only hazard of using a smith though.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    i started squatting in a smith machine because i had bad knees (yes i realise the irony, but i diddnt at the time). When i started trining with a guy i met at teh gym he talked me into free weight squats. Wow i totally loved them. Use a cage if there is one availible, i squat alone these days so thats what i use.

betatest is offline Associate Member
    If you can get over the issue of dropping the bar, free squats would be your best bet. If you have spotters, use them. If not, squat with safety rails. The extra stability and balance you develop as you progress does have its benefits.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    I used to have to use a padded tube velcro deal on the bar, I called it the "manpon" from the manshow. Then my traps got mega bigger and its padding enough now.

Beernutz is offline Member
    squat with the safety bars. I go to failure on almost all my sets in squats so when i cant go up anymore i drop the weight on the bars durring my last negative phase where i fail.

adamw1 is offline Associate Member
    I also find with a smith machine that you can position your feet easier to suit what kinda emphasise you want more so than free squats

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I hate the Smith Machine - everytime I see it I just want to get a crow bar and break into a bunch of itty-bitty pieces... but thats just me

MrDezel is offline Banned
    My gym just got this squat machine made by Maxicam that you can do squats or hacks on. I tried it out and I really like it. It is really safe and I can go extremely deep without the worry of droping it all on me.

You just have to pay more attention to keeping your back straight with it. The movement is somwhat like a smith machine so I assume that it has some of the same draw backs but I like it a lot.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    I like to begin warming up free weight style, but due to a couple knee surgerys, i move to the SM to put some weight on. I wish i could go back and stay at the rack, but oh well.

xfade7 is offline Member
    I've seen these things in stores called the manta-ray.. its a blue plastic thing that clips onto the bar and pretty much stays on your shoulder itself cuz its formed like ur shoulders/neck

BDTR is offline Retired
    The Manta Rays are cool. or saftey bar squats.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I agree 100%. Smith machines are the antithesis of functional training IMO. With any closed chain exercise I would never use a fixed resistance apparatus with the possible exception of a Hammer Strength Base Jammer, which unfortunately is the 1 piece of Hammer crap my gym does not have.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    I hate the Smith Machine - everytime I see it I just want to get a crow bar and break into a bunch of itty-bitty pieces... but thats just me

BigK29 is offline Junior Member

Mr Smith

When I'm lifting heavy,I hate spotters and trust only a smith machine for my bar movements.I can get impressive lifts consistantly and train injury free and swear by full range of motion in all basic movements.Squats I like to keep my feet tight and a little forward and only hit the quads not the glutes. K

xfade7 is offline Member
    You could do leg presses or hak-squats on the hak-squat leg press machine. I like these more cuz i dont like the pressure on my lower back.

xfade7

Cuttup is offline Senior Member
    Smith machine squats are great. They allow you to really target the quads or hams ( which ever you prefer ) at a decent weight without having to acually stablelizing the weight or have any risk for a accidental injury. Instead you can simply worry and concentrate or the particulat leg muscle you are trying to develope. However, they should only be dont as a muscle targeting tool. REAL squats are a neccessity if you plan to gain lots of size and streth in your legs so, start practing on free Squats. Get use to them\

Cuttup

****, sorry for all the mispelling

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    I love the Smith's whenever i do heavy lifts... or heavy training..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Manta Rays are only cool if your traps arent to large. If so,..they will tear your traps and upper back up, cause you to focus on the pain in your traps instead of your legs...trust me.

Thread Information