Intensity/Failure....BE CAREFUL

I've seen some popularity and increase in the amount of people doing "forced Reps" and Intensity Training. I myself love "Intensity Training" and in fact had Ray Mentzer as a Training Partner in the "80's". I just want to give some food for thought to people applying these training tecniques now. First off I do not want to debate whether these techniques are "good" or not as routines DO need to vary at times. I personally have gotten my biggest with
    "Intensity" work-outs. PLEASE try to have a partner when you use these techniques as they can be seriously hazordous. When doing legs I have actually blacked out a little bit after my last set. This could obviously cause some serious damage if you actually go down. With the other body parts when you hit failure you can actually have trouble controlling the weight and dropping it on yourself or someone else. Today in the gym I watched as a rookie was going hard to failure and couldn't control the weight and crshed his finger trying to control the **** dumbell. Blood everywhere and he'll probably be out for awhile. So if you like these tecniques try and make sure to at least have a spot. It's like SCUBA diving, you can do it alone but it is a heck of a lot safer with a "buddy".

Just some food for thought..........

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Great post Mr. you are correct as I see it also. Not only is its dangerous to NOT have a spotter on certain lifts ie. negatives benching/failure its also foolish. Having a nagging injury is no walk in the park and deminishes your achievments you have made thus far. You must of been around 18yrs old back then with Ray as I used to read about him.

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    It's definitely no good to be lifting heavy weights with no spotter. You don't want to learn the hard way. Besides, you cant go that heavy and push yourself like you should be doing if you dont have a spotter on exercises such as benchpress, military press, etc.

Hey Blue,
    Thanks for the props. but I was in my 20's.
    Glad you guys agree. It kills me to see these guys in the gym everyday. But, what the F*&^ better them than me.......

brian11 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMondodondo
    Hey Blue,
    Thanks for the props. but I was in my 20's.
    Glad you guys agree. It kills me to see these guys in the gym everyday. But, what the F*&^ better them than me.......
    I had to go save a little mexican the other day bc he was on bench and couldnt get it up. I saw him struggle his little mexican butt off on one rep then i couldnt believe my eyes when he started another, so i already started to make my way over bc i knew he wasnt gonna budge it off his chest.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Nice thing about the gym that I work out in is that it is so hard core that everyone is a spotter. If you start struggling with a bench, BOOM, two bros will appear and encourage you on or help out as the case may be.

The best thing is that when the place gets too crowded, one of the really big dudes will yell "three reps" and everyone has to push 100 kg three time on the bench press or leave. Clears out the riff-raff.

If I have any doubt at all on my ability to do the reps I am planning, I ALWAYS get a spotter. I have absolutely no desire to drop a fvcking 100 lbs DB on my head 'cause I'm too cool to ask a bro for a spot.

Want to really stop your gains... get injured.

Use a spotter!

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Deffinitly. Also... Isee a light weight who thinks he can bench 250... but everytime he kimps his back (throwing it around and thrusting his hips) and uses sh!tty form. I had to bring it up with him as general advice - but he refuses to listen. But he will eventually be one of those, "I use to lift heavy but..." people...

Thread Information