Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member

Fat burning/High intensity

May sound like a dumb question, but which way will burn more fat and help me drop some poundage, high intensity(on treadmill for 40 mins at 5.0 mph, my hear rate gets up to 165) or a lower MPH, and keeping my heart rate at 135. I mean i know its called fat burning for a reason, but i mean at high intenisty im sweating like a pig, n burn off more cals???

4U2NV is offline Associate Member
    If you are just trying to burn calories the high intensity is going to be the best. The harder you work the more calories you will burn. But if you goal is to lose fat and not just mass stick to lower intensity between 65-75% of your age predicted max heart rate

im just trying to shed soem fat off my stomach to be honest, thats its im pretty lean everywhere else n have a pretty low calorie intake so not worried about that, whats the best method to shed unwanted stomach fat??? i mean u would think the harder the workout the more fat, but this theory doesnt always work

actually you will burn more fat and more total calories at a higher intensity however fat will not be your main source of fuel.

so should i do high intensity or stay at like 135 heart rate for 45 mins

to lose fat and minimize the lost of lean body mass stick with lower intensity about 65-75% of your age predicted max heart rate. 220-age=max heart rate, Mhr x 65%=?, Mhr x 75=? this will give you a range to maintain in.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Your at 82% if you are at 165 beats. Yes, you will loose some fat at the expense of muscle also. Stick to 135 heart rate. If you want endurance/heart/lung then the 80% MHR is okay.

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Your at 82% if you are at 165 beats. Yes, you will loose some fat at the expense of muscle also. Stick to 135 heart rate. If you want endurance/heart/lung then the 80% MHR is okay.

if your heart rate is too low, you wont loose fat, if it's too high after like 20 min you start using protein stores as a fuel source, if it's in your target heart rate zone, first 20 you will be using stored glycogen, next 20 stored fat, anything after that, you body will start tapping into protein. I read alot on this and scientist say that it is actually really hard to start burning ONLY stored bodyfat adn no muscle, ive read that the best approach is to do like 15-20min intense cardio, even in intervals to speed up your metabolism throughout the day( like max-ot cardio) but i havent tried this so i cant say that it works, im just telling you what ive read!

so only do 20 mins??? say if i do 2 miles in 20 mins thats all i should do, or run 2 miles in 20 mins, then walk for 20 mins?

Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel
    so only do 20 mins??? say if i do 2 miles in 20 mins thats all i should do, or run 2 miles in 20 mins, then walk for 20 mins?

the whole point of the intense cadio is to do it and stop it before it starts eating away at muscle. It's meant to just speed your metabolism throughout the day! so the 20 min after wouldnt be a good idea using this approach!

Well heres the deal, i like doin 2 miles at 5.0 speed(2 12 min miles) about 3 times a week, so would running 2 miles in 24 mins, then walking(with my heart rate around 128) for another 20 mins 4 times a week be beneficial or detrimental to buring fat/keeping muscle?

IMO to be safe, i would just find your target heart and do whatever cardio you like at that rate for 40min on an empty stomach first thing in the morning!

Thread Information