sparky24 is offline Junior Member

training to failiure...

how often do you lot train to failiure?

is it not a good idea to train to failiure every set you do for mass gains?

zzo18 is offline Associate Member
    Not including my warm up sets, I always train to failure. Furthermore, my training partner spots me so I hit 2-4 reps that I couldn't hit on my own. I've seen my biggest gains come through this theory. Plateaus that hindered my progress in earlier workout styles are rarely ever a problem anymore. I do, however, use appropriate weight so my number of reps falls in the 6 or so range.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    It's those last couple of reps that make the muscle grow.

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    Mix your lifting up. You can train to failure, but don't make a habbit of doing forced reps with a spotter on every set on every exercise else you'll find your tendons getting stressed, injuries cropping up and your body getting overtrained.

You definitely want to tear down the muscle, but have a plan. If you plan out your training, you'll find that you do not have to go completely to failure for each set. Depending on: (1) what you're trying to accomplish, (2)how many exercises you are doing that day, (3) your workout pace, (4) your workout weights and (5) how many body parts you're working that day; it would be advisable to end your set JUST before your failure set. This does not mean take it easy in the gym, it means reserve JUST ENOUGH strength to preserve your tendons and to have enough in you to push hard through your next series of sets.

If you want to know more about this, read Stuart McRobert's book, Beyond Brawn: The insiders encyclopedia on how to build muscle & might He focuses in on hardgainer techinques, kinetics, diet, myth vs. reality, etc.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I agree with bask8kace, i think that one think you will start to understand after a while is that u might plan on doing 3 or 4 sets on an exercise, but if u go all out, then after 1 or 2 sets u might think that this is all you need to do to get everything out of that muscle(sorta like a page out of mike mentzer).

As far as forced reps go, i would never recommend more then 2 forced reps.

willpharmd is offline Junior Member
    I agree with zzo18. I train to failure on all sets except warmups. But I only used forced reps, drop sets, negatives, etc. on the last set( and only for 2-3 reps). Also like zz said use weight appropriate to stay in the desired rep range.

sparky24 is offline Junior Member
    thanks guys.. thats what I normally do, every set to failiure but sometimes I don't manage as many reps as I did the previous workout is that a problem? I normally aim for 8-10 reps.

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    Bro...if you are training to true failure...then you don't aim for any amount of reps...you are pushing so hard that if you can count in your head, it's not hard enough!!

Thread Information