Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Baseline's Power/Hypertrophy Routine

951thompson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucka

Deadlifts = biceps
    Rows = biceps
    Pullups = biceps

So even on lower days you work your biceps
    No You don't hit you bicep much when doing deadlifts it's more back,traps,glutes and legs. Im giving my biceps 4 working sets each upper body day because I want to give them a dcent workout twice per week.
    Last edited by 951thompson; 10-10-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Brick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 951thompson

No You don't hit you bicep much when doing deadlifts it's more back,traps,glutes and legs. Im giving my biceps 4 working sets each upper body day because I want to give them a dcent workout twice per week.
    Tell that to my huge strong biceps.

Deadlifts bentover rows or tbar rows and ez bar curls. That's it

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka

Tell that to my huge strong biceps.

Deadlifts bentover rows or tbar rows and ez bar curls. That's it
    Good for you, pleased that works for you, me however I've choose to add curls on power day as I don't think overhand T-bar rows give you a effective bicep workout as you suggest.
    Hey im not telling any of you to do extra curls, I choose to do this because I believe this will work for me.

At the end of the day I came on this thread to thank baseline for sharing this routine. Mockery has turned this into something else!
    Last edited by 951thompson; 10-11-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Brick is offline Member
    Great routine.

Work it as you will.

jklipouse is offline Junior Member
    bump

2fat2bb is offline New Member
    Just wanted to thank Baseline for this post.

It confirms my own philosophy regarding the combination of power compounds with higher rep training. I will give this method a go when I next change my current routine. Currently I start each days specific body part training with a big power lift and then continue after with more typical hypertrophy training. this routine though exposes the failing in mine, that by having high rep sets of other exercises planned for right after my power compounds I am possibly not dedicating / reserving enough energy for either?

Thanks again Baseline.

Sisonpyh is offline New Member
    I am wondering if I am missing something. I just finished doing DC routine. When I go for a RP set for 20 reps I do something like 11/6/4, there is NO WAY I would be able to do 11/11/11/11 if I was using my true max weight. I understand that there is roughly a minute extra rest interval between the two routines but that would not justify doing that many more reps for each set. With 5x5 I would have to lower my max to get through all 5 sets. Am I missing something? I could see doing your max for 5 reps, lower the weight by 15%, do another 5 rep max with that weight...etc, how would that pan out against this?

Edit: NOT bashing the program at all, I want to try it actually, just wanted to clarify this topic. Thanks for posting Base!

Brick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisonpyh
    I am wondering if I am missing something. I just finished doing DC routine. When I go for a RP set for 20 reps I do something like 11/6/4, there is NO WAY I would be able to do 11/11/11/11 if I was using my true max weight. I understand that there is roughly a minute extra rest interval between the two routines but that would not justify doing that many more reps for each set. With 5x5 I would have to lower my max to get through all 5 sets. Am I missing something? I could see doing your max for 5 reps, lower the weight by 15%, do another 5 rep max with that weight...etc, how would that pan out against this?

Edit: NOT bashing the program at all, I want to try it actually, just wanted to clarify this topic. Thanks for posting Base!
    For example.

Leg press 600lbs 10 rep max. You should be able to get at least two sets of 10. Then the last two sets rest pause and get 10 OR just do as many reps as you can

10,10,8+2,7
    Good enough to next week bump up the weight

Sisonpyh is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucka View Post
    For example.

Leg press 600lbs 10 rep max. You should be able to get at least two sets of 10. Then the last two sets rest pause and get 10 OR just do as many reps as you can

10,10,8+2,7
    Good enough to next week bump up the weight
    Thank you for the response! Sorry if that was already asked, usually read everything before asking questions. Going to do start today.

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    BUMP! since ill be running this routine from Monday

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    Can't wait to start this tomorrow.

Sets and reps and rest will be as stated above in base' layout!

Exercise choices and what available to me:

Lower power:
    Squat
    Dead
    Calf press

Upper power:
    Bench press
    Hammer strenght row (name may be off)
    DB shoulder press

Lower hyper:
    Leg press
    BB hack squat
    Lying curls
    Seated curls / SLDL
    Calf raise

Upper hyper;
    Incline DB
    Cable Fly
    Lat pulldown
    CG cable row
    DB laterals / 1 arm DB upright row
    Face pulls
    Bb curl
    Skull crushers

"Bump" for smileybeast

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Gd luck man, smash it
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Blackmambar is offline Junior Member
    This idea of combining 'power' and 'hypertrophy' each week sounds like a good idea.

Only problem is I cant fathom training legs twice a week!
    And the upper body workout looks like to much to get done in one workout.

Is there a routine where I could only do legs once a week and split the upper body into smaller volume?
    Do you still get good muscle pump/soreness the next day with this routine considering your doing multiple muscles per workout?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmambar View Post
    This idea of combining 'power' and 'hypertrophy' each week sounds like a good idea.

Only problem is I cant fathom training legs twice a week!
    And the upper body workout looks like to much to get done in one workout.

Is there a routine where I could only do legs once a week and split the upper body into smaller volume? well that would just be a normal 'bro' split.... Y u scared of training legs twice per week?
    Do you still get good muscle pump/soreness the next day with this routine considering your doing multiple muscles per workout?you won't get as sore but that's the whole point....
    See bolds

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Blackmambar is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    See bolds
    I wouldn't say Im scared, well maybe a little scared. But really it's just that I prefer to enjoy my time in the gym. I usually enjoy training except on leg days. I think the idea of training legs 50% of the time Im in the gym could be a problem and affect my motivation.

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmambar View Post
    I wouldn't say Im scared, well maybe a little scared. But really it's just that I prefer to enjoy my time in the gym. I usually enjoy training except on leg days. I think the idea of training legs 50% of the time Im in the gym could be a problem and affect my motivation.
    Your legs are 50% of your body.....
    baseline_9 likes this.

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Baseline thanks for the routine. Program definitely appears worth trying.

gmantheman is offline Associate Member
    I just started this routine two weeks ago but I am already doing a deload week since I haven't had one in nearly 16 weeks. I was doing PHAT for the past 12 weeks so this routine would be an excellent one to use.

Robot Body is offline New Member
    Been considering doing a PHAT routine for a while now and decided to make the jump last Monday. Feel pretty good so far, and as crazy as it sounds I almost feel like I'm under training my upper body. The only reason being that with this routine I'm only doing 10 sets for back 3 for bi's and 3 for tri's. Where as on my normal routine I'm usually at around 12-15 for back and 9-12 sets a piece for bi's and tri's. Also what are some of your guys feelings on doing HIIT cardio while on this routine ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Body View Post
    Been considering doing a PHAT routine for a while now and decided to make the jump last Monday. Feel pretty good so far, and as crazy as it sounds I almost feel like I'm under training my upper body. The only reason being that with this routine I'm only doing 10 sets for back 3 for bi's and 3 for tri's. Where as on my normal routine I'm usually at around 12-15 for back and 9-12 sets a piece for bi's and tri's. Also what are some of your guys feelings on doing HIIT cardio while on this routine ?
    This routine is fairly high volume/ load overall.... Doing HIIT on top of it is adding to the load..... I'd say get into the routine first and do some moderate pace cardio.... Then if u feel ok maybe just add in one or 2 HIIT sessions per week...

Funny that this got BUMP'd because I'm going back to PHAT on Monday.... Following a slightly different template than this that I've done previously but still the same concept.....

This routine is fairly high volume/ load overall.... Doing HIIT on top of it is adding to the load..... I'd say get into the routine first and do some moderate pace cardio.... Then if u feel ok maybe just add in one or 2 HIIT sessions per week...

Funny that this got BUMP'd because I'm going back to PHAT on Monday.... Following a slightly different template than this that I've done previously but still the same concept.....
    Thanks for the reply. Also was wondering how how you came up with the amount of volume used in the PHAT routine you've outlined ? The reason I ask this is that reading Layne Norton's PHAT routine he calls for far greater volume than the one outlined by you on the first page. Is this workout more for a beginner than the one suggest by Layne ? Just curious is all, thanks.

Thanks for the reply. Also was wondering how how you came up with the amount of volume used in the PHAT routine you've outlined ? The reason I ask this is that reading Layne Norton's PHAT routine he calls for far greater volume than the one outlined by you on the first page. Is this workout more for a beginner than the one suggest by Layne ? Just curious is all, thanks.
    Yep the volume is lower but there is more of an emphasis on planned progression... Ie. bar weight progression....

Once the weight starts going up on this routine the intensity gets much greater.... Hence the lower volume...

Layne is an advocate of higher volume training, which is one thing I decided at the time of writing this to cut back on and rather focus more on bar weight progression....

When your basically running at almost 100% within each exercise within each workout (because your always trying to beat ur last workout) the overall workout 'load' is really going to catch up with you.... The compromise is lowering volume....

I'm actually considering running a phase of PHAT exactly as it is outlined by layne... Basically because some of my beliefs have changed over time with the more I read and learn.... I hold a lot more faith in guys like layne now a days..... I have seen him talk about why higher volume training is better in many YouTube videos and figured he is probably right (well he is talking about scientific studies that support higher volume)...

If I do decide to run the higher volume PHAT routine I will post up my experience in here....

auswest is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    I will be starting his routine in 6-8 weeks on my up coming cycle and plan to continue it in the long term with proper deloads.

I will be using his simply shredded template, looks good, but deffernatly the highest volume of all his phat examples he has laid out, I'm no stranger to high volume though. Over the next 6-8 weeks I'm currently priming only training day on day off and will start to cycle my carbs leading upto my cycle. My first time ever priming before a cycle so should be good, and the day on day off is a nice break as over the last few years I've trained anywhere from 5-7 days a week off none stop, so this is really going to do me some good, then kick back into full gear come cycle, should see a good response hopefully.

teacherman is offline Junior Member
    Hey mate, thank you for posting this very informative and I am looking to give it a try. One thing I was wondering, my biceps are really disproportionate to the rest of me so the amount of work they get with back days should be enough. Do you think it is okay to cut the bicep exercise out of the routine?

Quote Originally Posted by teacherman View Post
    Hey mate, thank you for posting this very informative and I am looking to give it a try. One thing I was wondering, my biceps are really disproportionate to the rest of me so the amount of work they get with back days should be enough. Do you think it is okay to cut the bicep exercise out of the routine?
    Yeh, sure....modify this plan as you wish..... It's just a template....

I'm currently running a PHAT routine that is different to this..... It's a good concept IMO.... Just flex it to how you want it to work....

teacherman is offline Junior Member
    Yeah, the rest seems pretty good might change the T-bar for one armed rows on power day?

- GAL -->

Glad to hear that your enjoying it...

I love this way of training.... Lots of big lifts....

gmantheman is offline Associate Member
    Yesterday I decided to add a little more volume to my upper strength day. I did a resting supersets of 2x10 dumbbell press with 2x10 parallel grip pullups. Both exercises I stopped about 2-3 reps short of failure. Since these movements didn't take anything out of me, I may add these two movements permanently

JP2
    JP2 is offline New Member
    Hey Baseline,

This routine looks amazing! Thanks for sharing! I would like to run this program, but wanted to contact you about nutrition. Is there a way I can e-mail you to set something up?

Thanks!

PM me once your post count is up....

Or post up in the nutrition section... Plenty of people around here that can be of help

JP2
    JP2 is offline New Member
    Well, how many posts does that take? I just made an account on here so I could talk with you.

Right. Well. Once I'm over this shoulder injury I will be putting together a spread sheet doc. Showing increases on weekly basis either by reps or by weight.

I may try to make one base with coding that cam be used by others. Obviously certain fields could easily be changed anyway. N started at any time during a given year.

I'm really liking the look of this routine. As I usually go for about 45 min sessions 5 times a week. N sometimes twice a day after a good rest n food I might swap it to this n start proper logging again.

Thanks baseline.

right... hope this is useful for people

ive designed a whole linked up spread sheet goes in 4 week incremements, printable pages, yearly weight 5rm detailks displayed by week for each exercise.

now, how do i give it to everyone lolz

all done!

https://rapidshare.com/files/1172029...20routine.zipx

enjoy
    Last edited by MajorPectorial; 07-19-2013 at 01:34 AM. Reason: adding data sheet for ppl

GEEZII is offline Junior Member
    I have been on this routine for 7 weeks now. at the end of week 8, i will write up the progress differences, it didnt seem like much until i went back and looked at what i started with. i love it!
    baseline_9 likes this.

Btw. U need up to date Microsoft excel to use it. If u got an older version inbox me. I'll convert it n upload another

Quote Originally Posted by GEEZII View Post
    I have been on this routine for 7 weeks now. at the end of week 8, i will write up the progress differences, it didnt seem like much until i went back and looked at what i started with. i love it!
    Run any non linear program like this with an emphasis on progressive overload and tell me the results aren't excellent...

8 weeks is nothing either..... Run it for a year plus....

I'm interested to see your results.... Whatever you do, don't think you now have to mix it up and start doing some bullshit program.... Stick with it.... Deload when required and keep progressing.....

Run any non linear program like this with an emphasis on progressive overload and tell me the results aren't excellent...

8 weeks is nothing either..... Run it for a year plus....

I'm interested to see your results.... Whatever you do, don't think you now have to mix it up and start doing some bullshit program.... Stick with it.... Deload when required and keep progressing.....
    In just going through a deload at the moment actually.
    yesterday did some 10rm routines really concentrating on a 3sec+ negative n explosive positive.

**** if the aches anything to go by. Cut down to one workout each week covering only two exercises each muscle group. But I chose to do it
    1. Because of a worrying n stupidly caused shoulder muscle injury:/
    2. Because I've been flat out at 5xweek for about a year n felt it was time to step back n let the body repair

From Monday I'll be working by the spreadsheet. Might make a couple minor changes due to machine availability but hitting everything in the same way as ur eg base.

Cool, check out the most recent routine I have posted in this section....IMO it is a bit better than this... Similar but I think the exercise choices are better and the programming is slightly different...

Jacked Monkey Smash Routine

• Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information