Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Baseline's Power/Hypertrophy Routine

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianPride. View Post
    I ran a log of this template over at BBD back in the day when Layne ran his section of the forum for a bit. It was the longest log ever. I of course swaped his template around to suite my needs but nontheless this was the funnest log/journal I've ever done. Lasted about 6 months and was over a 1000 pages of my day in the life/dieting/food and of course the power/hypertrophy workouts. By far the most taxing but effective template I've ever ran.

Yeh I think this type of training is great...

Great for beginners

Great for natty guys or while your not 'on'

Currently not running with it because in 'on' and there is no point in logging my lifts as they are increasing so much week by week....

I do log some big lifts... Bench, dead, squat....

While im in PCT and no on it will be making sure to go back to writing every lift down....

I feel that when on gear you can blast muscle with a bit more volume if you wish...

I seem to never get really sore while on gear
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Quote Originally Posted by _CrossroadS_ View Post
    I'll be finishing 8 weeks of this program at the end of this month.

Heavy Legs:

Squats
    Seated Calf Raises
    Straight Leg Deads

Heavy Upper Body

Bench
    T Bar Rows
    Dumbell Lateral Raises

Light Legs

Leg press
    Seated Calf Raises
    Seated Hamstring Curls
    Front Squats
    Standing Calf Raises
    Standing Hamstring Curls

Light Upper Body Day

Incline Dumbell Press
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns
    Cable Lateral Raises
    Decline Fly
    Close Grip Pulldowns
    Reverse Fly (rear delt)
    Tricep Pushdown
    Incline Bench Curls

I will take 1RM's at the end of June, have two weeks to "deload" if you will, and then start again mid July. My lifts have all increased. I'll know exactly how much in two weeks. I could probably go another 2-4 weeks and continue to increase on my lifts, but I have a vacation coming up for 4th of July so the timing is good.

I'm going to make a couple changes in July:

Heavy Leg Day edit

Leg Press
    Seated Calf Raises
    Seated Hamstring Curls

Heavy Upper Body Day

PullUps
    Incline Bench
    Cable Lateral Raises
    Rack Pulls

Light Leg Day

Squat
    Seated Calves
    Standing Hamstring Curls
    Seated Leg Extensions
    Standing Calf Raises
    Straight Leg Deadlifts

Light Upper Body Day

Dumbell lateral Raises
    Wide Grip Pull Downs
    Decline Dumbell Press
    Reverse Fly Cables
    TBar Rows
    Dips
    Preacher Curls
    SkullCrushers

Notes:

I'm doing the sets/reps recommended in the original post. Adding more wide grip back, as my lats aren't following the rest of me.

My bench has increased a good bit. I think this is a combination of this workout, along with not doing any overhead presses. My shoulders feel great, and look, if anything, better.

Had to add Rack Pulls. I like the T-bar Rows, but I gotta have my deadlifts.

Any ideas for a different hamstring and calf excercise?

I'll post weight increases when I do my 1RM's
    Bench - 280 at beginning of program 320 after. I have unusually long arms (i'm 6'1, my wingspan is almost 78". I don't think Pressing or Pulling movements will ever be my strong suit. However, my goal was to be at 315 on bench by the end of the year, and I was there after 8 weeks of this program.

Squat - 335 before, 350 after.

Deadlift - 375 before, 395 after

These lifts were all done with proper form and full range of motion. No half assing. Having a trainer work with me a couple times to make sure I had my form down on all my lifts really helped.

Goals by end of year are to be at 350 on bench, 400 on squat, 430 on deadlift.

I'll be running this program for 8-10 weeks, a couple weeks off, and then I'll switch back to the original to run until the end of the year.
    Last edited by _CrossroadS_; 07-15-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Bench - 280 at beginning of program 320 after. I have unusually long arms (i'm 6'1, my wingspan is almost 78". I don't think Pressing or Pulling movements will ever be my strong suit. However, my goal was to be at 315 on bench by the end of the year, and I was there after 8 weeks of this program.

Squat - 335 before, 350 after.

Deadlift - 375 before, 395 after

These lifts were all done with proper form and full range of motion. No half assing. Having a trainer work with me a couple times to make sure I had my form down on all my lifts really helped.

Goals by end of year are to be at 350 on bench, 400 on squat, 430 on deadlift.

I'll be running this program for 8-10 weeks, a couple weeks off, and then I'll switch back to the original to run until the end of the year.
    BOOOOOOOMMMMM!

Amazing progress, well done buddy

Keep smashing it!

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    as the main element to this training program is progression any gains will obviously be slower while trying to cut...

if i was cutting and wanting to run this program i would be looking to maintain my lifts more than actually increase them...

When cutting people think that they need to drop he weight, intensity etc.. But imo you need to keep pushing hard if you want to maintain your size...
    maintain size? Do you mean maintain muscle? Or do you mean get bigger overall?

expect to make gains up untill a certain point but then plateau... That plateau will not only be down to burn out but also lack of calories....

I would never tell a dieter to expect to gain lbm, however if there is a routine out there that would enable it i would certianly think this one would...
    yeh i think this type of training is great...

great for beginners good

great for natty guys or while your not 'on' good

currently not running with it because in 'on' and there is no point in logging my lifts as they are increasing so much week by week....

I do log some big lifts... Bench, dead, squat....

While im in pct and no on it will be making sure to go back to writing every lift down....

I feel that when on gear you can blast muscle with a bit more volume if you wish...

I seem to never get really sore while on gear
    i will re-read this over again, base. Thanks!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

By maintain size I simply mean maintain muscle

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    I have been following this routine albeit slightly adapted to my needs for the last five weeks while I am on cycle, for clarity, are you saying above that you do not use this routine because of the logging of lifts ? I find I just add about 5kg onto power lifts per week and hypertrophy just go with how I feel, if i can easy get the ten reps out then i add some weight, if i only manage five then i drop down a weight.

It is a good routine, growth and then tightness in the same week, if I wasnt on cycle I think it would be too much, although I have doubled up the upper body hypertrophy to twice(on a saturday), personally im loving the deadlifts, the deadlifts are through the roof, its a new PB every week, but really brings the delts out.

Currently on cycle and running a bit more volume.

When I'm off cycle I think I will go back to running this routine... IDK why but I just feel that I can pound the muscle a bit harder with a bit more volume while on cycle

TBH I think when your on you grow whatever you do.... I think you can Handel the extra stimulation and convert that into extra growth...

While off this routine is good because it forces you to be at the limit each week... It forces the progress. While on cycle progress just happens regardless

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    how are you guys visual gains on this routine? very curious

Quote Originally Posted by l2elapse View Post
    how are you guys visual gains on this routine? very curious
    I've notice a pretty significant change in my shoulders (size and seeing more striations) and chest ( size, and finally starting to see definition on the outer edge of my pecs)

Legs have gotten bigger.

Waist has gotten smaller (not due to the this workout, but to cardio/diet) but it is more pronounced with my back getting wider and legs getting bigger.

Some changes to my routine here:

Heavy Leg Day edit

Squat
    Seated Calf Raises
    Seated Hamstring Curls

Heavy Upper Body Day

PullUps
    Incline Bench
    TBar Rows

Off Day - sort of

Core exercises
    Heavy Cable Lateral Raises for shoulders

Light Leg Day

Leg Press
    Seated Calves
    Standing Hamstring Curls
    Seated Leg Extensions
    Standing Calf Raises
    Straight Leg Deadlifts

Light Upper Body Day

Wide Grip Pull Downs
    Flat Dumbell Press
    Rack Pulls
    Incline Fly

Off day - sort of

light day for below
    Dumbell Lateral Raises
    Rear Fly/ Delts
    Preacher Curls
    SkullCrushers

Real Off Day

Had to break up the upper body day, as it was just too much. Amount of work in a week remains the same, just spread apart a little. We'll see how this goes.

Rep'd 315 on squats 4x5 easily. maybe not a big deal to others, but big milestone for me, and my lanky ass.

Really digging this workout, will probably start a log on it, but I feel like some good info in this thread.

EDIT: the reason for going back to squats on heavy day, and moving rack pulls to light upper day is my lower back is getting over worked. Now it'll have 3 days off in between, so I should be good.
    Last edited by _CrossroadS_; 07-26-2011 at 08:38 PM.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    this plan is laid out well and i cant wait to try it

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Some changes to my routine here:

Heavy Leg Day edit

Squat
    Seated Calf Raises
    Seated Hamstring Curls

Heavy Upper Body Day

PullUps
    Incline Bench
    TBar Rows

Off Day - sort of

Core exercises
    Heavy Cable Lateral Raises for shoulders

Light Leg Day

Leg Press
    Seated Calves
    Standing Hamstring Curls
    Seated Leg Extensions
    Standing Calf Raises
    Straight Leg Deadlifts

Light Upper Body Day

Wide Grip Pull Downs
    Flat Dumbell Press
    Rack Pulls
    Incline Fly

Off day - sort of

light day for below
    Dumbell Lateral Raises
    Rear Fly/ Delts
    Preacher Curls
    SkullCrushers

Real Off Day

Had to break up the upper body day, as it was just too much. Amount of work in a week remains the same, just spread apart a little. We'll see how this goes.

Rep'd 315 on squats 4x5 easily. maybe not a big deal to others, but big milestone for me, and my lanky ass.

Really digging this workout, will probably start a log on it, but I feel like some good info in this thread.
    if i could turn back time i'd never do these heavy mate

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    if i could turn back time i'd never do these heavy mate
    Detail?

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    bump
    good read and bookmarked.. I'll be trying this soon
    Thanks BL

Detail?
    i think dec is suggesting that heavy core movements will create a thick and blocky waist...

and i agree

ucf465 is offline Associate Member
    Currently on cycle and running a bit more volume.

When I'm off cycle I think I will go back to running this routine... IDK why but I just feel that I can pound the muscle a bit harder with a bit more volume while on cycle

TBH I think when your on you grow whatever you do.... I think you can Handel the extra stimulation and convert that into extra growth...

While off this routine is good because it forces you to be at the limit each week... It forces the progress. While on cycle progress just happens regardless

So while "on" you are running it with a bit more volume, would you care to elaborate on this? I will be running your program while "on" in a little while and was wondering if my # of reps should change.

i guess im saying how should i change the routine around if im going to be "on"?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ucf465 View Post
    So while "on" you are running it with a bit more volume, would you care to elaborate on this? I will be running your program while "on" in a little while and was wondering if my # of reps should change.

i guess im saying how should i change the routine around if im going to be "on"?

Thanks
    Well I'm currently running a completely different routine... More of a HIT routine...

If I was you, wanting to run this while on gear I would roll with it just how it is, see how you feel. If you feel you can add an extra set here and there than go for it. As long as the principles remain the same

i think dec is suggesting that heavy core movements will create a thick and blocky waist...

and i agree
    He highlighted Heavy cable lateral raises for shoulders...so I was wondering if he had an issue with these in the past or an injury. However, it was right next to core exercises, which may be what he intended to bold.

My core work is very limited. I like the leaner look around the waist, and I get plenty of work on core from the compound lifts.

drevil8814 is offline New Member
    This sounds like a great workout and I would like to give a try.
    I know this sounds like a complete noob question, but my gym doesn't have a Supported T-Bar Row machine. What are some alternatives for that exercise??

Quote Originally Posted by drevil8814 View Post
    This sounds like a great workout and I would like to give a try.
    I know this sounds like a complete noob question, but my gym doesn't have a Supported T-Bar Row machine. What are some alternatives for that exercise??
    One arm dumbell rows

|2ogue is offline Junior Member
    I've been searching for this thread for nearly 2 weeks and couldn't find it. I couldn't remember the name of thread, training, or op. Finally found it. Seriously considering giving this routine a try. I've been out from training due to loosing my job, but should be back in a few weeks.
    Thanks for posting.

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    bump

Quote Originally Posted by t-gunz View Post
    bump
    U gonna go for this thing?

If ur m8 lets u down, hit me up to help u get ur diet dialled in.

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    thanks for being there base.

yeah ill be hitting this up starting 2nd jan.

ill keep you posted.

BUMP'ing for guys asking about new programs

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    I am looking into doing a similar routine, only difference is I will split my hypertrophy days to push/pull/legs IE Monday-upper power Tuesday-lower power then Thursday-pull hypertrophy Friday push hypertrophy and saturday leg hyper. My question is about your hyper trophy days. Are you training to failure or a few reps shy to keep from overtraining to quickly. It would seem if you train to failure on your heavy day training to failure again on hypertrophy might burn you out quickly

mockery is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    im running the layne version of this and just in my third week so i have left some things out untill i get use to this training.

so you guys dont believe over 12 sets a week per body part doesnt lead to OT?

Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel View Post
    I am looking into doing a similar routine, only difference is I will split my hypertrophy days to push/pull/legs IE Monday-upper power Tuesday-lower power then Thursday-pull hypertrophy Friday push hypertrophy and saturday leg hyper. My question is about your hyper trophy days. Are you training to failure or a few reps shy to keep from overtraining to quickly. It would seem if you train to failure on your heavy day training to failure again on hypertrophy might burn you out quickly
    Yes you train to failure on both days.... However as you progress you actually decrease failure training... Hard to explain but I will try...

Week 1 - hypertrophy day

Bench press - Set 1 (failure set of 10 reps), set 2 (failure set of 8 reps), set 3 (failure set of 7 reps)

This is an example of how week one may go.... As you can see, all of those sets are to failure, however....

Week 2 - hypertrophy day

Bench press - Set 1 (set of 10 reps), set 2 (failure set of 9 reps), set 3 (failure set of 7 reps)

If you notice above the first set was at 10 reps.... You used the same weight as the week before however since you have progressed slightly the set was not quite to failure... You may have still got a rep..... So basically your doing less work to failure...

This is micro-periodisation within a periodised routine.... The more you progress the less you do (sort of )

Quote Originally Posted by mockery View Post
    im running the layne version of this and just in my third week so i have left some things out untill i get use to this training.

so you guys dont believe over 12 sets a week per body part doesnt lead to OT?
    Overtraining is something that is very individual.... If the program works for you that is all that matters.... Periodisation and progression is important

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    BUMP'ing for guys asking about new programs
    Thanks for bumping base. I was preparing to give GVT a go for the first time. But I think I may try this instead.

Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    Thanks for bumping base. I was preparing to give GVT a go for the first time. But I think I may try this instead.
    Go for it, post your results in this thread..... This routine works! Just follow the program and you will be happy

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    First Leg power night tonight. Good stuff Base. Ive never done squats and deads on same day, didnt know what to expect, but it went well.

Squats - 325 (5, 5, 5, 5) bump to 335 next week

Deads - 405 (5, 5, 3, 3)

Seat Calves - 200 (5, 5, 3, 3) these were a change too, never go heavy on calves.

Overall I loved it. Rest periods for squats and deads were 3-4 minutes. Total workout was only about 1hr and 15min.....Cant wait for day 2....thanks again base.

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    this looks like a great routine when not 'on' as you already stated. i like it.

thanks Base.

btw, id kill to have your delts.

Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    First Leg power night tonight. Good stuff Base. Ive never done squats and deads on same day, didnt know what to expect, but it went well.

Squats - 325 (5, 5, 5, 5) bump to 335 next week

Deads - 405 (5, 5, 3, 3)

Seat Calves - 200 (5, 5, 3, 3) these were a change too, never go heavy on calves.

Overall I loved it. Rest periods for squats and deads were 3-4 minutes. Total workout was only about 1hr and 15min.....Cant wait for day 2....thanks again base.
    Cool

Bump that squat up to 335 and go for 4 reps on your 3rd set of deads too.... Once u know what u need to do you have a clear workout goal in mind and you actually visualise yourself doing it.... And you do it

Glad to hear ur on the program.... Keep a log in here

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    this looks like a great routine when not 'on' as you already stated. i like it.

thanks Base.

btw, id kill to have your delts.
    Cheers...

You shoud try it, it's not that it won't work when on cycle... Just that it's good for people who are not on since it focuses on making progression.... Progression happens on cycle without even thinking about it

red_hulk is offline Member
    Looks like a pretty cool idea and I like the concept. I'll definitely give it a shot. Obviously you've seen results from doing it, but I was wondering one thing: in most of research I've done and in my personal experience doing two or more big lifts in a single workout (bench press and shoulder press for example) isn't good. Especially when running them at your max capacity. Usually you've spent a lot of your energy on the first lift so you won't be able to give the next one as much effort. Especially I'd you're running down a line of power lifts.

Have you noticed this? Or you seem to be good to go for the next one. I can see if I was on cycle, but I don't know too much about while off. Like I said though I do like it and will give it a try

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    Bumping as I'm starting this today.

robbinthehood is offline New Member
    Started this last week but am doing the 5 day like on simply shredded.

Quote Originally Posted by robbinthehood View Post
    Started this last week but am doing the 5 day like on simply shredded.
    Make sure u follow the progression techniques outlined in this plan..... U can follow them in any routine TBH so just follow lanes version and add the progression principles

jklipouse is offline Junior Member
    Hey base great post i which i would have seen this earlier...i just got my diet together (405) a week or so ago and just came across your post? iam around 20%bf trying to cut to lose bf would this be a good program for me to start? sounds like a great program!!! my question to you is what about cardio should i do cardio am fasted on workout days or do hiit after workouts or? when is a ideal time to do cardio as iam trying to lose bf? i now this is a very debatable subject for you whats your opinion on this? thanks in advance

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information