Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By The Deadlifting Dog
  • 1 Post By marcus300
  • 1 Post By The Deadlifting Dog

Thread: Deadlifts or Not?

itsmybody is offline Female Member

Deadlifts or Not?

Alright, we all know how there is always some concept floating around the gym...sometimes it's valid..lots of times its garbage.

Lately all I hear about is how deadlifts make your waste line increase...

Of course I understand when you do a big movement like deadlifts you are definitely working a lot more than an isolation movement such as hamstring curls. However also believe firmly that if you wear a belt, concentrate on holding your core in (and keep it tight), focus on moving the weight with your lower body, do not rely on momentum and breathe correctly along with making sure to use proper form it is not as big as an issue as many are making it out to be.
    So...could someone please explain in further detail if these should really be avoided or not.
    Signed,
    Sifting through the bs

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    I'm no expert at all but from my personal experience, deadlifts and squats both made my core tighter and maybe my abs project a bit more but I wouldn't say it made my waste bigger.

I have always heard that doing oblique exercises will make your waist wider though. This makes more sense to me than deadlifts or squats doing it.

Maybe someone who knows more can get into more detail on how it does or doesn't. I just hate seeing that a thread has had 60 views and yet nobody has any thoughts on the matter.

I am 100% confident that your waistline will not get smaller with ice cream, I tried and no matter how much I ate it was either the same or a bit bigger.

Life without deadlifts is pointless.

To your point...
    Ronnie Coleman loved deadlifting and his waist was tiny.

However I will say that if you are a true bodybuilder then one could argue that there is no need to deadlift. (Or squat below parallel or pause bench.)

Deadlifting is not even remotely close to being an efficient muscle builder when you consider how taxing on the body it is. Meaning that the stress puling puts on your system would be better spent elsewhere if you are simply looking for muscle gainz.

That said, **** that, man up and rip that shit from the floor.
    saymass003 and Khazima like this.

Thank you! Seriously it makes me mad. Personally I really like them and don't want to give them up!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett N
    I'm no expert at all but from my personal experience, deadlifts and squats both made my core tighter and maybe my abs project a bit more but I wouldn't say it made my waste bigger. I have always heard that doing oblique exercises will make your waist wider though. This makes more sense to me than deadlifts or squats doing it. Maybe someone who knows more can get into more detail on how it does or doesn't. I just hate seeing that a thread has had 60 views and yet nobody has any thoughts on the matter. I am 100% confident that your waistline will not get smaller with ice cream, I tried and no matter how much I ate it was either the same or a bit bigger.
    Thank you. I do agree on the oblique issue. I'm just gonna keep doing them until I hear/read more info/evidence. Personally I look forward to them.

Yea, nothing better than the feeling of picking heavy shit off the ground. I like them too.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    I like deadlifts for my hamstrings, it really strechs the hamstrings nice the way I do it.

Rarely use it for my back, but when I do it I use the dorian variation (till below the knee) that puts a lot more focus on lower back.

Are you a bodybuilder or a powerlifter?

I would assume bodybuilder, powerlifters usually don't worry about how small their waist is. If that avatar is her, looks somewhere around fitness/bikini. Nice back by the way.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    You're right Brett, sorry.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    I haven't dead lifter for years, if I do its very light. I was extremely powerful DL'er but had issues with my lower back and build a bigger thicker lower back not using them, infact its freaky these days. If you are going to do deads I personally would use them for building the lower back and do them Yates style which would mean don't go lower then just below the knee cap, going lower can put your lower back in a vulnerable position if your not fully locked it and it brings other areas into play.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    I haven't dead lifter for years, if I do its very light. I was extremely powerful DL'er but had issues with my lower back and build a bigger thicker lower back not using them, infact its freaky these days. If you are going to do deads I personally would use them for building the lower back and do them Yates style which would mean don't go lower then just below the knee cap, going lower can put your lower back in a vulnerable position if your not fully locked it and it brings other areas into play.
    What's your take on rack pulls, Marcus? They seem to hit the low back/hip/glute areas real well - and your pretty well off from preventing an injury?! I've been incorporating these w/or w/out Yates style deads at end of back session(to lighten the load)...

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by NACH3 View Post
    What's your take on rack pulls, Marcus? They seem to hit the low back/hip/glute areas real well - and your pretty well off from preventing an injury?! I've been incorporating these w/or w/out Yates style deads at end of back session(to lighten the load)...
    If they work stick with them. I much prefer keeping tight engaging the core and doing Yates style deads but like ive said I don't do them much at all anymore.
    NACH3 likes this.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    If they work stick with them. I much prefer keeping tight engaging the core and doing Yates style deads but like ive said I don't do them much at all anymore.
    Thx for the reply - I try and shoot for both - but sometimes(depending on sequence) I don't get em(Yates Deads) in enough - I haven't had enough time to figure out which one/or both need to be done(maybe ill alternate each session) - rack pulls/then Yates style Deads... And see how that goes for a while...

Thank You Guys for all that info. Def like them for the hamstrings and will try your ways.

Not sure what I am classified as...body builder, power lifter, competitor or even what category this body would be in. I really just like seeing what I can do and how the body responds to everything. Actually it's incredibly fascinating and love the way it feels so now hooked. Have considered competing but also know that takes time to prepare for and lots of $. For now...I'm happy just being me, making these discoveries, learning how to make big and small changes and the never ending challenge of trying to constantly improve. Guess y'all could classify me as that crazy woman that won't stop

jackfrost88 is offline Associate Member
    Depends what your goals are. From my experience I haven't found my waist increase at all from doing them. Definitely feel a much stronger lower back/hamstrings and hips from them. Once of the best exercises with squats imo

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Deads are a great exercise and can really help with a lot of weak areas in a short amount of time. You don't have to follow a PL style rep scheme you can simply do a 8/8/6/6/5 or any other variation to suit your needs. I wouldn't get so caught up in the idea of becoming thick waisted by doing them.

MaxxPursuit is offline Banned
    I personally love deadlifts. Like mentioned above, it really depends on your goals. Based on your body and what natural levers would be most beneficial for you personally, try experimenting with different deadlift styles to find your preference. Of course while it works your core and posterior chain heavily, the different styles emphasize different parts of your posterior more than others. You may find that conventional is the most comfortable or you may find that you prefer Sumo deadlifts because of the increased glute/hamstring activation. You might not like either of those and prefer yates/romanian style deadlifts to really just target your hamstrings and glutes. Deadlifts aren't needed to build a nice physique if that's your goal but it is a great exercise. I find them fun and challenging and at the end of the day, that's what it's about. Nothing like picking up some heavy ass weight lol. Don't get caught up with the idea of your waist getting thick, it's not something I would concern myself with. Try the different variations for yourself, see how your body responds and see if you enjoy them.

cgeorgemeow is offline Junior Member
    In regards to thick waist depends on genetics look at Ric Drasin he has thick abs for example. If you are doing it for hamstrings why not deadlift with hex bar or sumo style? You can even set up a platform for your feet so you go deeper when you do deads.

Different opinion here:
    Conventional hits hamstrings, glutes, lower back, and spinal erectors.
    Sumos hit hips and quads more.
    Hex bar hits quads more.
    Khazima likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog
    Different opinion here: Conventional hits hamstrings, glutes, lower back, and spinal erectors. Sumos hit hips and quads more. Hex bar hits quads more.
    Oh hell....can't we just have it ALL???

qscgugcsq is offline Anabolic Member
    I dont consider anyone not deadlifting as serious...

Deadlift is the best exercise for overall developpement and should be present in anyones routine.

(Notice I havent said heavy deadlift)

yes max effort deadlift is taxing but a weight you can rep isnt taxing enough to make it counter productive.
    Bouncing dont count because by bouncing you can do 5 rep at your 1RM...
    Which doesnt make sense...

Im not saying to deadlift every session but once a week should be a minimum.

To be allowed to not deadlift you should have a ****ing good excuse.
    Better very light deadlift than no deadlift at all.

So it is not even a question.

Deadlift all the way.

Someone who workout but dont deadlift is like a MMA fighter who is scared of the dark.
    Doesnt mean he cant be a great fighter but inside he is a fvcking pvssy.

As Ronnie Said: "Everyone wants to be a bodybuilder but no one wants to lifts some heavy ass weight!"
    Last edited by qscgugcsq; 07-08-2015 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by qscgugcsq
    I dont consider anyone not deadlifting as serious... Deadlift is the best exercise for overall developpement and should be present in anyones routine. (Notice I havent said heavy deadlift) yes max effort deadlift is taxing but a weight you can rep isnt taxing enough to make it counter productive. Bouncing dont count because by bouncing you can do 5 rep at your 1RM... Which doesnt make sense... Im not saying to deadlift every session but once a week should be a minimum. To be allowed to not deadlift you should have a ****ing good excuse. Better very light deadlift than no deadlift at all. So it is not even a question. Deadlift all the way. Someone who workout but dont deadlift is like a MMA fighter who is scared of the dark. Doesnt mean he cant be a great fighter but inside he is a fvcking pvssy. As Ronnie Said: "Everyone wants to be a bodybuilder but no one wants to lifts some heavy ass weight!"
    Thank you for your input.
    Yes I do deadlift and no I am not stopping.

The question was not about the deadlifts effectiveness. The question was about the newest bs rumor running around weight room implicating that they increase your waste line.
    Also explained why I don't think it would be an issue in the original post. I just wanted to hear some of the more experienced lifters thoughts on the topic.

Bottom line...sick of people telling me not to do them.

Quote Originally Posted by itsmybody View Post

Thank you for your input.
    Yes I do deadlift and no I am not stopping.

The question was not about the deadlifts effectiveness. The question was about the newest bs rumor running around weight room implicating that they increase your waste line.
    Also explained why I don't think it would be an issue in the original post. I just wanted to hear some of the more experienced lifters thoughts on the topic.

Bottom line...sick of people telling me not to do them.
    About waistline yes and no...

Heavy squat and heavy deadlift have the potentiel to increase waistline. And to a lesser extent, if you use a belt.

Still genetics plays a huge role in this.
    But if any negatives comes from.doing these then doing few vaccuum will bring it back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by qscgugcsq
    About waistline yes and no... Heavy squat and heavy deadlift have the potentiel to increase waistline. And to a lesser extent, if you use a belt. Still genetics plays a huge role in this. But if any negatives comes from.doing these then doing few vaccuum will bring it back to normal.
    Thank You! Been reading about the vacuum technique.

Quote Originally Posted by itsmybody View Post

Thank You! Been reading about the vacuum technique.
    Expect lots of discomfort and if you are prone to digestive issue it might gives you nausea.

But it works very well.

Also eating small meal will help over time.

Thread Information