Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Nephets
  • 2 Post By The Deadlifting Dog

Thread: Your opinion on 'over training'

Metalmank is offline New Member

Your opinion on 'over training'

I've recently stumbled into it and been doing my bit of research and understanding.

From my understanding overtraining is a term thats abused way to often especially when people add on more volume to programs they're currently doing. From my understanding overtraining really only happens to those of us who spend 20+ hours a week in the gym. Such as atheletes etc.

I understand everyone responds different to workout volume as I believe I respond better to more higher volume workouts and just enjoy the feeling. For example after my big compound lifts Im pretty exhausted for like 5 minutes. After that my iso work and other lifts arn't to bad and I always feel the need to add in more and more. I don't ever really get sore either the next day and have the urge to go again (I workout fullbody 3x a week).

So whats your opinion on 'overtraining' or adding in more volume into a proven program?

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    I think everyone is different. I think overtraining comes more from the intensity of your workout more so then the volume. I think you can half ass a bunch of sets and still be fine. Once you turn up the intensity your going to need more recovery time.
    hellomycognomen likes this.

I am a powerlifter.

I train full body EOD.

I definitely believe in overtraining.

After 3-4 weeks of intense training, I'll have a deload week to allow my body to fully recover.
    A deload week is a week where I do about half the volume that I do in a regular week.
    Obs and wellshii like this.

Proximal is offline Banned
    Personal experience with converting to HIT techniques (accentuated negatives, drop sets, forced reps, etc.) My recovery time now is at 4 days minimal, but generally 5 days per muscle group. Progressing well with the switch & can tell immediately during that workout if I'm not recovered.

Metalmank is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    I am a powerlifter.

I train full body EOD.

I definitely believe in overtraining.

After 3-4 weeks of intense training, I'll have a deload week to allow my body to fully recover.
    A deload week is a week where I do about half the volume that I do in a regular week.
    Good to know. I've taken a deload once so far since Ive started back at it. Taking another deload during the christmas holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephets View Post
    I think everyone is different. I think overtraining comes more from the intensity of your workout more so then the volume. I think you can half ass a bunch of sets and still be fine. Once you turn up the intensity your going to need more recovery time.
    This makes perfect sense. I definitely don't half ass any of my lifts but I see what you're getting at

Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post
    Personal experience with converting to HIT techniques (accentuated negatives, drop sets, forced reps, etc.) My recovery time now is at 4 days minimal, but generally 5 days per muscle group. Progressing well with the switch & can tell immediately during that workout if I'm not recovered.
    Interesting.

Blog Entries
    If you start to lag or stagnate overtraining might be an issue. Muscles are built outside the gym. Like you said everyone is different, I used to be a volume based lifter, then switched to daily undulating periodization, now I am 100% intensity driven.

DHew is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Who was it that said there is no such thing as over training, but under eating?

Too Little Muscles is offline New Member
    R & R is the most important aspect of training. Web MD says muscles only grow while you are asleep.

Coffeehead is offline Associate Member
    Everyone will recover at different rates, but I'm of the opinion that more people are under-eating and not resting enough rather than simply "overtraining."

I've always made it a priority to make sure my nutrition is in line, and I sleep at minimum an average of 6 hours per night. Sometimes that means I sleep at 9pm.

I also hit each muscle group a minimum of 2x per week and train 5-6 days for about 90 minutes each time. Both volume and intensity are high. Lots of rest pause, short rest periods, training to near-failure or failure. Some people can't handle this workload, while others will think it's easy.

My suggestion would be to take a close look at how well your eating, sleeping, destressing, etc... Lots of variables in play aside from your natural recovery abilities. If you're doing everything you can and still feel you're not recovering fast enough, reduce volume/intensity/tonnage/frequency. (choose one)

Continue to reduce as needed.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    It does vary per individual. And many things can contribute,,age,,nutrition,,workout routine, etc..
    Overtraining is a very real issue,,Ive even seen guys on cycle suffer symptoms of overtraining.
    You have to find a balance between workouts and recovery.

Thread Information