Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    LAGMuXle is offline Member

Can you really beat anyone up?

Ok.

Another post about people who are so tough, noone can beat them up.

I'll give credit to any respectable martial artist, boxer, or anyone who trains in any fighting area...

However - I had a guy tell me once "None of that shit scares me, muscles, tattoos, I don't give a shit what they look like or who they are. I could beat anyone up if I was mad enough." (Not to mention this guy was about 225lbs, 25% BF, 5'11".)

What do you guys think? Is this true for the most part? No matter how big your opponent may be, you could still beat them if it was backed by good reason? Or even just enough adrenaline?

Hmm... I think that the comment "no matter how big" is wrong. For example; I think Ronnie could put up a good fight.

Who knows.

LAG

DIESELPWR is offline Member
    i think anyone with training will win no matter what... and usually calm and collected prevail more than the person who is mad and fighting off adrenaline

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    sounds like he was scared and maybe trying to psyche himself up for something...did you ask him if something was wrong?

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELPWR
    i think anyone with training will win no matter what... and usually calm and collected prevail more than the person who is mad and fighting off adrenaline
    I would partially agree with this. Im on the bigger side but if I ran up against someone who has trained a lot Id probably get my ass kicked. ~BUT~ I cant see a 145 dude kicken my ass no matter how much training hes had..maybe.

Pooks is offline Anabolic Member
    Once u're mad u're not thinking clearly, u'll make obvious moves, u're gonna get dropped and fast by someone with trained skills.

IN FACT in boxing for example its usually a strategy to try n get the other opponent mad. In boxing u can knock out a more skilled boxer if u outtalk him bout his momma LOL
    Last edited by Pooks; 04-09-2006 at 12:19 AM.

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooks
    Once u're mad u're not thinking clearly, u'll make obvious moves, u're gonna get dropped and fast by someone with trained skills.

IN FACT in boxing for example its usually a strategy to try n get the other opponent mad.

Your probably right..the rock or mike tyson..tyson would blast his head into outerspace.

Still a much larger person who can keep his cool, you would have a hard beating.

GreenLantern12 is offline Associate Member
    I don't want to comment but this does piss me off like to other.

I'm 6'3"-4 " and was an all americain boxer at 175 (in 2001). I stoped boxing a few years ago and gained some weight 215 now.....but alot of pople still think I'm skinny for my size. But like my gf is getting hurrasted by some 6'2" 300+ lbs fat guy who is too slow to hit anybody let alone a trained fighter.

But I think it all comes from bring so skinny in HS and thinking I had to prove myself. I remember taking a gf to the gym and watching the big guys and what they were lifting (even if I knew they were cutting) the weightes they were lifting and putting 10 lbs more on than what they did even if it was their 3rd or 5th set and do it for one set cuz I'm a jerk like that.

oh yeah I forgot to mention almost noe of my gfs that I talked about had no confidence in what I could do, that's what made me mad the most, I almost feel like making a greatest hit dvd of all my KOs and making people watch it before they talk to me lol, I know that's stupid but so are the people i talk to

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGMuXle
    Ok.

Another post about people who are so tough, noone can beat them up.

I'll give credit to any respectable martial artist, boxer, or anyone who trains in any fighting area...

However - I had a guy tell me once "None of that shit scares me, muscles, tattoos, I don't give a shit what they look like or who they are. I could beat anyone up if I was mad enough." (Not to mention this guy was about 225lbs, 25% BF, 5'11".)

What do you guys think? Is this true for the most part? No matter how big your opponent may be, you could still beat them if it was backed by good reason? Or even just enough adrenaline?

Hmm... I think that the comment "no matter how big" is wrong. For example; I think Ronnie could put up a good fight.

Who knows.

LAG
    I've fought quite a bit at my nightclub, and i compete in brazilian jujitsu.

First off, if your friend is talking like that - he has no street fighting or fighting experience. Though bigger people are more intimidating at first, technical skills combined with totally immoral heartlessness are what wins street fights. It is also ignorant for him to say such a statement.

though he's saying it unintelligently, that guy was speaking of "Fight or Flight", essentially it takes place when you get very excited and fearful, being in flight means you will run away, in fight, means you'll fight something. When he gets mad, his body puts him into "fight" mode, and he is overly filled with confidence, this confidence instantly vanishes once he/she begins losing the fight.

I honestly dont believe size is a factor in street fighting, it certainly is intimidating at first, and strength is certainly a benefit, but have fun fighting me after i puncture your lungs via the knife i just pulled because of your dumbass

my last point, getting mad is never a 'good thing' when it comes to being successful in violence, thinking intelligently under pressure will make you successful

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    Bob Sapp is a good example of size vs fighting ability

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    i agree...i train bjj and mma...and i'm a big guy @ 6'1 250...but i would NEVER say i would always win...problem is...no matter how trained you are...fighting is still has to do with some luck and alot of other unmeasurables. For instants...some people have naturally stronger jaws....some people have quicker reflexes and some people just get lucky shots in...have weapons...etc etc...

the only think you can ever be sure of in a fight....is you can't be sure of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    the only think you can ever be sure of in a fight....is you can't be sure of anything.

i like how that sounds

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    fighting is too unpredictable but the trained fighter would in most cases win,i guess it depends also on how far your willing to go,if it meant defending someone i loved then the skies the limit.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Fighting is an equation with alot of variables. Take in size,experiance,training, martial arts studied, enviroment, weapons and how many people against you or vice versa. He is an idiot to say he is not afraid of anyone in a fight you should have what my coach says is "intelligent fear" espicially in a street fight which has a ton of variables. Sounds to me like he is just trying to sound tough

spencer is offline i gotta S on ma chest
    most guys on roids have week chins. easier to knock them out in one.
    i spar with my mate whos roided up and i k.o him every now and then

boxing means fvckall either in a street fight.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer
    Agree, although it can help, but it certainly dont mean your guna win cos you know boxing. But i find the average joe when fighting is fuked within 5 mins maybe less, but with boxing you need to be well conditioned so fitness wise it can be of benifit.

round here u dont hear of one on one's. faggots picking up glasses and pool ques or bottles. pussies

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER

I gotta agree with the big Irish knuckle head on this one, in 3 years working on the door I have never seen anyone successfully utilise martial arts in a street fight, I have however seen guys who box and kick box handle themselves very well.
    As for most guys on roids having weak chins I have no idea where that came from

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    most guys that get mad just go haymaker crazy and then are gassed

being calm helps a ton, but not as much as being trained and conditioned. most fights ive seen are people out of shape and lose their breath in like 2 minutes...i think most of us could duck n cover that long.

the biggest bad asses i know, are about 140lbs. guys i would never want to be on the bad side of. these are the guys that i know from training MT and BJJ that have been doing it for like over 12 years.

Oki-Des is offline Anabolic Member
    Anger builds adrenaline, but does nothing for a truly skilled fighter. A good fighter, IMO has the ability to remain calm during a bout. When anyone gets noticeably angry at me, it is at this point that I know I am winning the argument.
    But on the other hand, good fighters also should have confidence in themselves. Therefore I agree with his feelings of wanting to beleive he can beat anyone up. We all know in reality anything can happen. If you pick the smallest guy you can think of and faught him everyday for 1 month, you may find that he could beat you on at least one of the days. Granted, he may pick up a rock that day and hit you square in the face with it! My point is that you may only fight a person once, and you have no idea how it will turn out. The smaller and more scared an individual is, the more likely he will use unfair tactics to win or escape.
    But anyone bragging about being able to beat everyone up is just stupid. I am a black belt in Kenpo and wrestled qrowing up. I beleive certain martial arts can help, but there is a lot of crap out there. I enjoyed martial arts because it allowed me to learn to fight by fighting 3 days per week. Full contact is the best because you have to learn to take it as well.
    I used to think I was a great fighter until I was humbled by a much better fighter. I was so impressed with his ability, I paid him to train me for an entire summer, 5 days per week. I think I faught this man over 85 times and I did not beat him once. He was even asked to try out for the US olympic team and qualified, but they said he must take an honorary black belt in Tai kwan do and it pissed him off because he persoanally hated this style and declined the team.
    Dont get mad at people who think they can win every fight, because they are the most fun to watch lose a fight. And if you are the one who can kick their a$$, even better!

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    the trained calm fighter will usually win. Anger does help, as long as you know how to control and utilize it (like picturing the guy your fighting as you dad, or someone you hate), but not to the extent that you are so angry you loose control.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    oh, also, Tyler Durden say: "skinny guys fight to the burger"

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    Can I beat anyone up?

It doesnt hurt to think you can...??

Timm1704 is offline Anabolic Member
    i disagree. no, steroids do not make you a better fighter (apart from the strength aspect), but when someone who trains very hard (as im sure all steroid users do) their entire body becomes stronger, and the neck muscles become thicker, lessening the chances of 'brainshake' from heavy blows. ur mate has likely just got a glass jaw, nothing to do with the gear

Quote Originally Posted by Timm1704
    i disagree. no, steroids do not make you a better fighter (apart from the strength aspect), but when someone who trains very hard (as im sure all steroid users do) their entire body becomes stronger, and the neck muscles become thicker, lessening the chances of 'brainshake' from heavy blows. ur mate has likely just got a glass jaw, nothing to do with the gear
    or ive got a hard dig. its not bull shit about the chin thing, ive heard that loadsa time about the chin bein week due to blood pressure or something

or ive got a hard dig. its not bull shit about the chin thing, ive heard that loadsa time about the chin bein week due to blood pressure or something
    haha yeah i spose the dig could be the culprit. not heard the thing about blood pressure, but my points are definately valid. anyone else got any insight into this?

haha yeah i spose the dig could be the culprit. not heard the thing about blood pressure, but my points are definately valid. anyone else got any insight into this?
    i think a grapler would benefit better in a street fight then a boxer.

some one told me about that weak chin thing, but not sayin its true.

just spoke to my m8 now and he says steroids thinnens the blood around the chin therefore easier to get knocked out, but its not my words that.

in a street fight, wrestling can be useful if its one on one. im a bouncer, and i wrestle, so if i get in a situation that needs drastic action id much prefer to go for a choke or armbar/takedown than a right hook hehe. not that it isnt satisfying laying someone out though. thing is, if its a bar-room brawl or there are alot of people involved you need to stay on your feet, or boots will be put in lol. i think boxing will help with any fight, as itl teach you foot work and positioning, the usual street fight starts with some punches thrown, then grappling starts. burn less calories and dont get on the floor if you knock them out within the first few punches

aspirin thins your blood

in a street fight, wrestling can be useful if its one on one. im a bouncer, and i wrestle, so if i get in a situation that needs drastic action id much prefer to go for a choke or armbar/takedown than a right hook hehe. not that it isnt satisfying laying someone out though. thing is, if its a bar-room brawl or there are alot of people involved you need to stay on your feet, or boots will be put in lol. i think boxing will help with any fight, as itl teach you foot work and positioning, the usual street fight starts with some punches thrown, then grappling starts. burn less calories and dont get on the floor if you knock them out within the first few punches
    lol didnt expect you to say bouncer, thought it was door person theese days as my m8 says . he does the doors at north in manchester and had loads of shit with lads from salford. picking up barriers and that. half of the pricks cant fight sleep with there skinny arses and gold chains

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    just spoke to my m8 now and he says steroids thinnens the blood around the chin therefore easier to get knocked out, but its not my words that.

Steroids thin your blood around the chin?? Your friend is way off. Being knocked out doesnt even have anything to do with blood. Taking a a straight punch square INTO the chin pushes the jaw back cutting off a nerve from the brain to your body for a split second. This renders you unconscious immediately. Taking a punch across the chin pushes your chin and in essence pulls the rest of your head leaving the brain to hit the inside of your skull. As a defense mechanism the brain shuts the body down.(From what I understand, I'm no scientist). But both have nothing to do with blood.

perhaps inappropriate
    Last edited by Myka; 04-09-2006 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    Steroids thin your blood around the chin?? Your friend is way off. Being knocked out doesnt even have anything to do with blood. Taking a a straight punch square INTO the chin pushes the jaw back cutting off a nerve from the brain to your body for a split second. This renders you unconscious immediately. Taking a punch across the chin pushes your chin and in essence pulls the rest of your head leaving the brain to hit the inside of your skull. As a defense mechanism the brain shuts the body down.(From what I understand, I'm no scientist). But both have nothing to do with blood.
    there was a thread on a boxin website i go on about it. i'll try find it now

thanks for that mate, i learned afew things there

100% correct! The only thing you can do to to get a better chin is to streghten your neck muscles so your head dosn't get snaped all over the place. Don't forget to tuck your chin and not stick it out there up in the air like a big target either

Hunter is offline Grateful
    i think a grapler would benefit better in a street fight then a boxer.

some one told me about that weak chin thing, but not sayin its true.
    It deffiantly depends I take BJJ class's and if its more then one on one you deffiantly dont want to take it to the ground. I would use my MT and sprawl in a street fight much more then my BJJ esp if its like 2 on 1

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member

I assume this translates to "boxing does not mean shit in a street fight" ?

If so that is the most retarded comment I have ever heard. I used to be a wrestler, and combined with my background in boxing it makes for a lethal combo in a street fight.

On the topic though. I don't think I can beat anyone up, but for the most part I am not scared to engage in a fight with someone bigger then me, or whatever other reason there might be to be intimidated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information