rastling1 is offline Junior Member

The truth of what losing weight too fast does

Heres the story: Just bear through the story cuz you need to see that to understand the end.

I started wrestling when I was 5. In 8th grade i started to compete at lower weight classes. Basically the theory in wrestling is you cut down to the lowest weight possible so you can wrestle people you are normally bigger and stronger than. Since everyone does this it negates itself, but if you don't you will be a 180 pound guy wrestling guys who normally weigh 220.

Anyway in 8th grade I was still growing but wanted to excel in athletics. I was 5'5" 120 1bs and had 5.5% bodyfat (natural) just a ripped kid. I cut down to 105. How did I do that? Just losing water I would lose 5 pounds from running and sauna and then only drink 1 or 2 back. It was an ugly cycle. The day of weigh in I would be 105 and 20 minutes later I would have drank enough fluid to be 113. Freshman year I grew I was 140 5'6" and at 7% bodyfat. Still real cut up I cut down to 119. Constnatly dehydrating myself.

I was dehydrated for about 6 months out of the year. Just drinking enough to hold me by till weigh in time. Finally I got a scholarship to college. ANd here is where it gets crazy. I came in jacked up weighing 180 at 7% bodyfat. 5'7" MY scholarship was contingent upon wrestling 157. So I really didn't have much if any fat at all to lose. So I was losing 23 pounds of water. I basically owuld do it the day before or 2 days before a match. My record is 23 pounds in 24 hours. (not one pound being fat). I would dehydrate by running, sauna, exercise bike, etc.

I went through college senior year qualifying for NCAA's Division 1. That year i wrestled 184 and had bout 10% bodyfat. Body starting to catch up. Every year I wrestled and "cut" weight, right after the season i would gain it all back and some like they always say. Well, after NCAA's I was so burnt out from working out I wanted to take some time off. I Had been working out 3 times a day 6-7 days a week for 8 years. I mean intense cardio 2 a days lifting, and hardcore wrestling practices. Not to mention half hte time i was dehydrated.

Well, Now I am 7 months out of college I have a corporate job and just decided to get back into working out because I had gotten so out of shape. My Junior year of college I was 180 lbs 7% body fat, ran a mile in 5:30, 100 meter in 10.9, Benched 225 21 times, and Squated 405 12 times. But imagine being at 7% or 6% bodyfat and having to lose 15-20 pounds. you don't have it to lose. The only thing you can do is stirp your body of water weight. to the point where if yo udrink a 16oz bottle of water you gain a pound you won't piss off because your so dehydrated that your body soaks it all up like a sponge and won't release it. I would crave gatorade. Stand in shop-rite for hours picking out the perfect gatorade. Anyway like I said when your at 7% body fat losing 20 lbs drains you. So I was done working out and now I am 7 months out of college. I am 5'7" 220 lbs. 19% bodyfat. I ran a mile yesterday it took me 10 minutes. I put up 225 11 times and I don't even want to go near the squat.

I just started a lifestyle changing diet. See for those 7 months I wasn't pigging out, wasn't, going nuts. I jsut wanted a break and wanted to relax. Now look at me, I feel like a slob. I am so lucky I have a real good natural genetic build...Otherwise I would look terrible. Somehow I still fit in most clothes but their uncomfortable. Anyway I am lifting Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri. And doing cardio Tues, thurs, sat........I just finished my first week of dieting and working out. MY metabolism is dead. A year ago I could eat 2 cheesesteaks, french fries, and milkshakes everyday and I would be at 7-9% bodyfat year round.

Now I have gained bout 35 poiunds and put on bout 10% bodyfat (meaning I obviously lost muscle). So overall crash dieitng kills your body. My metabolism is dead at the moment. Hope things turn around soon. I used to have a six pack without flexing, a chest to die for, and u better be damn sure u needed tickets for this gun show. Now if i flex my gut u can see a glare of abs. Hope to get it back. I am so sore can't even type. I lost 3 pounds this week but I know its all water basically because I haven't worked out in 7 months and I was drinking juice and iced tea and now I drink water on the rocks all day. Anyway just wanted to share the dangers of crash dieting, stopping working out, and not making this a lifestyle change.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Typical routine for wrestlers, of course its bad for you but like you said all wrestlers do it to have that "Advantage". Same goes for some BJJ competitions and especially in MMA you got guys cutting from 235lbs to 205lbs just to make LHW.

Read the cutting stickie and form a sample diet from it and we will tweak it for you.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    Read the cutting stickie and form a sample diet from it and we will tweak it for you.

Thanks for handling this, I can't read all that!!

~SC~

rastling1 is offline Junior Member
    Yea, I am pretty knowledgable of correct diet and cutting I just wanted to give a real life example of what happens...Never thought it would be me I had the metaboism that ran 80,000 mph!

rgecko23 is offline Associate Member
    i feel your pain bro, i wrestled 140 in high school. i stared wrestling in 5th grade thru senior year tilll a knee injury took me out. i would normally weigh 157-165 and i would sleep in trash bags and run for hours and spit in a cup to get to 140. i was skinny why the hell would i want to drop weight? who knows i was a strong 140 though. I think ti effects you later in life for sure. Im kind o a riped guy now but my stomach fat will not go away no matter how much of a cutting diet and cardio i do. i blame it on high school cause back then i had a 12 pack cut to the gills. it was great but i havent seen them since. but i think it messes up your metabolism for sure. i mean we were suppposed to be growing then and we were doing all we could to stop it.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    yes, but most wrestlers use crash dieting which will fuvk your body up

Well shit, i read all that just to find out you are'nt wanting advice on cutting?

This belongs in the Lounge not the DIET forum.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    yeah, wow must suck being that skinny your whole life

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    Well shit, i read all that just to find out you are'nt wanting advice on cutting?

This belongs in the Lounge not the DIET forum.
    Neat huh?

~SC~

decadbal is offline Banned
    im not readin it all either, someone break it down for us

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    weres the cliff notes ??

SteveO...check your PM's bro...

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    yea wrestling keeps you in shape... when i was a freshman/soph i cut to 171 crash diet style and couldnt win JV tournaments, then i stayed at 215 for my junior/senior seasons and placed at state and won a few matches at nationals...its amazing how much more strength you have when you only cut a little weight compared to tons and stay around your natural weight... Now im up to 260 since i got outta wrestling tryin to get in shape though

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I added some RETURN's to your post... it really helps people to read it easier...

Not really!

~SC~

Thread Information