MartyMcFly is offline Senior Member

What's up with gyms lately?

I have been working out at my college gym for a while. It wasn't great but I could do all of the basic things and it is free. I finally outgrew it and went looking for a new gym. I thought this would be an easy endevor. I was wrong. The first place I went was Gold's. I worked out at one before and I liked it. Great free weights db's up to 175lbs and had a lot of guys that compete out of there. I don't know what was going on at this one. First I had to talk to a girl who didn't know anything. First thing she shows me is the place for aerobic classes. They also had only crappy Nautilus for machines no hammer. When we get to the dbs they only go to 100lbs. I immediately tell her that was the deal breaker. I need heavy DBs. She tries to tell me as I am walking out that they are not necessary. BS. This same thing happened at 4 other gyms. Finally I found one that accomedates what I need. I had to talk them out of the enrollment fee. What the hell am I enrolling in? $45 a month. I should have to pay less. I am not using classes daycare etc. Hell I'll wear a shirt that says "Free weights, cables, 4 machines, and cardio only." Sorry for the long rant. I am just pissed off.

hardgainer12 is offline Senior Member
    haha the enrollment sucks!!! im trying to get outta my gym but the enrollment fee for the new gym i wanna join is 120 bucks!!!

I just told em that I will join only if you waive the enrollment fee. They did I joined.

Chookster is offline Associate Member
    la fitness has a no grunting policy..WTF is that all about?

Tren Bull is offline Dbol Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chookster
    la fitness has a no grunting policy..WTF is that all about?

thats funny bro

chest6 is offline Banned
    at my gym..they dont let me use chalk and they dont me drop the barbell on the ground after deadlifts..they make me put a pussy mat under it. I of course do it each time til they tell me to stop. Its usually my last set..so I act like im putting the mat under..wait til they leave and then on my last set I'll like drop it from my knees

Jimmya73 is offline Senior Member
    i just go ahead and put the mat under, they used to yell at me about it. the lady said " it dents the floor" but the whole entire floor is a mass of cracks and dents. she sure didnt appreciate my smart ass answer

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    I feel you. I wanna open my own gym....imagine the possibilities

TAlexa is offline Associate Member
    Chest6-same for me bro my last rep at failure I drop the weight and the gym shakes, but i can understand why they might get pissed.

WelshWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Why drop the weight? I don't get that.

on deadlifts? if i am working around my max i cant help it. plus, the negative portion of the deadlift does nothing,trying to control it often leads to injury. so drop the damn thing

I'm suprised the negative does nothing.

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    control the weight dont let it control you,hate to see nobheads throwing weights in the gym.if you cant control it then you shouldnt be lifting it imho.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by helium3
    control the weight dont let it control you,hate to see nobheads throwing weights in the gym.if you cant control it then you shouldnt be lifting it imho.
    can i ask if you deadlift?

Timm1704 is offline Anabolic Member
    i deadlift, and often go to my max, i still dont ever need to drop the weight from knee-height. obviously when i put it down, i cant help it making a noise on impact with the ground, but nothing stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Timm1704
    i deadlift, and often go to my max, i still dont ever need to drop the weight from knee-height. obviously when i put it down, i cant help it making a noise on impact with the ground, but nothing stupid
    Gotta agree with this. I can't believe half a movement is as good for developing strength and muscle as a full one.

Quote Originally Posted by derek7m
    I feel you. I wanna open my own gym....imagine the possibilities
    you have no idea how long ive been wanting to do that.

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    dbs at my gym only go up to 85lbs, shit, there is only one 85lbs db and there is no whereabouts of another. I will see if the other franchise gym about 15min more of a commute has heavier sets; otherwise I too will be looking for a new second home. I literary play with 80lbs dbs when doin seated db presses on shoulder days (7-8 reps) 4 sets, but when i start my cycle, that shit will be jacked up by at least another 10lbs-to-15lbs easy. Some chest days i prefer DBs over flat bench, and the current gym can not accommodate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage
    dbs at my gym only go up to 85lbs, shit, there is only one 85lbs db and there is no whereabouts of another. I will see if the other franchise gym about 15min more of a commute has heavier sets; otherwise I too will be looking for a new second home. I literary play with 80lbs dbs when doin seated db presses on shoulder days (7-8 reps) 4 sets, but when i start my cycle, that shit will be jacked up by at least another 10lbs-to-15lbs easy. Some chest days i prefer DBs over flat bench, and the current gym can not accommodate that.

It is bullshiite. I also hate when the DBs go up by 10 when you hit 100. It is a lot harder to go from 100 to 110 than 40 to 45. Pisses me off.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I really don't "drop" it until they say something. I control it on the way down and try to set it down best I can but its still pretty loud. I just hate when they get mad..THEN ill show them what dropping it is.

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    I really don't "drop" it until they say something. I control it on the way down and try to set it down best I can but its still pretty loud. I just hate when they get mad..THEN ill show them what dropping it is.
    hahaha, so they will appreciate it more when u dont drop it. i hear ya! as for the dumbbell thing, i know exactly what you mean, the gym i mainly use has dumbbells up to 80lbs, and they have some dumbbell bars that you can add weight to, but the collars suck and i would rather not take the risk. i have resorted to using barbells for most things now

i dont like slam the weight by any means, i always put the pads under it though so its not a problem. it just seems to me there is such a huge potential for injury on the negative portion of the deadlift, at least for me. there is also a big difference between a newb drop and hitting the failure point. i have my hands on it the whole time, i just dont attempt to control it with my back at all

bmg
    bmg is offline Member
    I had to talk them out of the enrollment fee. What the hell am I enrolling in?

these really piss me off too. there never used to be enrollment, application or whatever type of fee 15 years ago. why the **** should i have to help pay for the 10 tvs in the cardio room.

i visited a california fittness here in columbus. these bitches wanted an application fee, a processing fee, first and last months membership upfront. .... and if you forgot your friggin towel (god forbid you lift without a personal towel) you have to rent one for a buck. this stuff is getting ridiculous and im tired of it.

i love training at the 'proper' gyms, the hardcore ones i suppose. you turn up, wearing what you want, you lift, you leave, with afew hiya's on the way in and cya's on the way out. no tvs, no pretty carpets or flmisy floors. abit of music and the clanging of weights. thatl do it for me. god i wanna train right now! lol

Thread Information