justin2305 is offline Senior Member

offshore oil rigs? anyone with experiance ect?

hey guys im bout to be going to work for a big oil company on their offshore rigs, i have the oppertunity to do it and school isnt workin out to great for me so im going to go try and make a career out of this cuz ive heard its not really that bad, they feed u like a king and pay prety good. so anyone with experiance, advice, or any info on this could yall please holla at me and let me know a few more details... thanks a bunch

careful, if a giant meteor is heading for earth you're going to have to go into space and drill a hole in it to save the world

Wrath is offline Associate Member
    positives of contract work on a rig is that they normally have schedules with 14 days on the rig with 14 days off, or 28 on and 28 off. Give you a month to go back home and chill. They almost always pay for your plane ticket home as well, and you make ALOT more money doing the same thing than if you did that same job on mainland. Some of them rigs are really decked out too...with nice gyms, good food, and decent sized rooms.

The negatives are that you have to be gone from your family. Know a guy off the coast of russia ..in the caspian sea I believe, and he makes that treck once a month back home which can be a hassle with the long ass flight. He set it up pretty sweet though and has a wardrobe on the rig ( even though he mainly has to wears a uniform) and a wardrobe at his house in the US, so he just travels with a carry-on between the 2. He extends his layovers, when he comes back to the states, in different cities in Europe to do some sight seeing so that is a plus. One huge negative is during the 28 days on the rig....you don't leave. That would freak me out...and normally there aren't many women aboard.

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath
    positives of contract work on a rig is that they normally have schedules with 14 days on the rig with 14 days off, or 28 on and 28 off. Give you a month to go back home and chill. They almost always pay for your plane ticket home as well, and you make ALOT more money doing the same thing than if you did that same job on mainland. Some of them rigs are really decked out too...with nice gyms, good food, and decent sized rooms.

The negatives are that you have to be gone from your family. Know a guy off the coast of russia ..in the caspian sea I believe, and he makes that treck once a month back home which can be a hassle with the long ass flight. He set it up pretty sweet though and has a wardrobe on the rig ( even though he mainly has to wears a uniform) and a wardrobe at his house in the US, so he just travels with a carry-on between the 2. He extends his layovers, when he comes back to the states, in different cities in Europe to do some sight seeing so that is a plus. One huge negative is during the 28 days on the rig....you don't leave. That would freak me out...and normally there aren't many women aboard.
    thanks for the reply, but ya im going to be right near my hometown when i go out cuz ill just be going right out of the gulf becuz im gettin the job through one of my family members and thats where they said that would put me. any other info. would be great thanks again

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    sounds pretty sweet, how do you get into someting like that?

Thread Information