Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member

morning or late workout question?

Hi guys. I came across this in the Flex magazine for April 06. I always work out in the morning and work late in the day. What do you think about their results. True or not True?

From Lab to the Gym Grow Time
    Getting to the gym at anytime of day is better than not getting to the gym, but what if there was an optimal time to work out? Scientists from the University of Southern Mississippi tested that question with 16 trained male lifters. The researchers wanted to know whether training in the morning or in the evening had any affect on muscle mass, bodyfat or strength. The guys were split into two groups: Morning ( training before 10am) and evening ( training after 6pm) Both groups trained for 10 weeks using a two day split that worked each bodypart twice per week. Lifting lasted about 45minutes per workout and was followed by 45minutes of cardio. The outcome: the evening group increased lean mass by 3% and decreased bodyfat by 4% and the morning group increased lean muscle mass by less than 1% and actually increased bodyfat by about 5%. Strength gains, on the other had were similar regardless of when they trained.
    From the lab to the gym: The scientists weren't positive about why there were differences in the amount of mass gained and fat loss in the evening group may have been due to an elevation in the metabolism at a tie of day when it normally starts to decrease. Regardless, it appears that lifting later in the day can lead to slightly greater gains in muscle mass and faster fat loss. Whether these differences are great enough to alter your training schedule is for you to determine. If you're a morning lifter who hasn't been making the progress you'd like, you may want to ditch the morning workouts and train when your nine-to-five day is over.
    Jim stoppani, flex magazine pg 78

What do you think?

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Could have to do something with diet. How far in advance of the workout were the morning group eating.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    i think its bull, i just lift i dont get caught up with all that scientific bs.... i read you should work out in the morning when your test levels are at their highest ... so everyone has a different opinion

Mizfit is offline Banned
    The morning group might be a bit more sluggish.

Personally for myself, i don't notice a difference - but i jump outta my bed at 4ish even before my alarm goes off.

I always found when i was in the service, if we did a pt test in the afternoon, most everyone scored better than when we did them in the morning.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by novicenovicen
    I always found when i was in the service, if we did a pt test in the afternoon, most everyone scored better than when we did them in the morning.
    I wonder how that would work though for people who are morning people?

If your sluggish out of bed then i think it would have an effect on gains.. but some people have more enrgy in the AM?

well I actually believe it because your whole body is warmed up and primed, and has had more nutrition, so your body isn't as stingy burning calories.

Like me, I just wake up in the morning at get to the gym. It usually takes me a while to hit my peak at the gym where i start hitting the weights hard and thumping to the hip hop beats from my ipod. But I also stay in the gym for about 2 hours and minimum 1 hour half.

I'm at the gym forever. Then again I go 4 minutes between sets.

I don't rest that much between sets. Sometimes I only rest for about 30 seconds. It depends if I'm lifting heavy or just doing alot of light sets

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by firmechicano831
    I don't rest that much between sets. Sometimes I only rest for about 30 seconds. It depends if I'm lifting heavy or just doing alot of light sets
    I take 30 minutes between reps.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    People lifting at night get to eat the entire day beforehand.

They also have a good two meals before bed, and start resting/recovering right away.

Those who lift in the a.m. may be doing too much shit the rest of the day while the other group gets to sleep.

~SC~

Thread Information