novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?

Cigarette's boost your metabolism?

now i don't smoke, but i heard a guy telling some people that a cigarette helps keep your metabolism high? any truth to this? now i know how horrible they are but is there a certain something in that deadly mix that does help boost your metabolism? just wanted a few opinions on this...

BADASS323 is offline AR'S BAD ATTITUDE
    they are nothing but a death trap...

Ufa
    Ufa is offline Anabolic Member
    Cigaretts do just the opposite. More oxygen more energy.

KrooC is offline Anabolic Member
    they supress your appitite and elivate your heart rate thus raising your metabolism... everyone is differnt but why do u think people gain weight when they quit smoking

farrebarre is offline Anabolic Member
    im actually researching this subject, but so far ive heard that a cigarette in the morning before AM cardio is just like eating food. it raises insulin levels
    Last edited by farrebarre; 05-10-2006 at 11:59 AM.

DamnYouMSN is offline Anabolic Member
    yup it's totally true. i smoke three packs a day! i'm ripped as a mofo. gets you huge too! lol nah but really just suppress your appetite. a lot of people forget to eat and just smoke a cigarette

resonator is offline Junior Member
    That's because Nicotine is a stimulant, so yes, you will get a metabolic boost. It's great for appetite supression too. Just take a nicotine supplement to get the effects, rather than smoking a cig.

Quote Originally Posted by resonator
    That's because Nicotine is a stimulant, so yes, you will get a metabolic boost. It's great for appetite supression too. Just take a nicotine supplement to get the effects, rather than smoking a cig.
    bad advice imo, thats just like saying "well if u wanna eat more food just smoke pot", bro u dont want to get addicted to anything especially not nicotine, believe me i know

Giants11 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by KrooC
    they supress your appitite and elivate your heart rate thus raising your metabolism... everyone is differnt but why do u think people gain weight when they quit smoking

Because they replace the addiction with something else, mainly food. That's why.
    "without your word you're a shell of a man" - Tupac

***Giants11 is a fictional character any advice given is purely for entertainment purposes, always consult a physician before taking any supplements, drugs or changing your diet.***

Quote Originally Posted by farrebarre
    "bad advice imo, thats just like saying "well if u wanna eat more food just smoke pot", bro u dont want to get addicted to anything especially not nicotine, believe me i know"
    Taking a nicotine supplement is better than smoking a cigarette. You disagree?
    Last edited by resonator; 05-10-2006 at 10:33 AM.

Giants11 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Nicotine can help two ways when dieting. It can help with appitite suppression as well as help with nutrient partitioning. You can get nicotine without smoking cigarettes. Reccomending cigarette's is moronic.
    "without your word you're a shell of a man" - Tupac

***Giants11 is a fictional character any advice given is purely for entertainment purposes, always consult a physician before taking any supplements, drugs or changing your diet.***

no i didnt mean smoke a cig instead, i meant dont do either, but if u have to then sure u could buy nicotine gum or something from the pharmacy,,

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Why not smoke crack then? Most crackheads are skinny..it must have an effect on the metabolism?
    ***No source checks!!!***

KrooC is offline Anabolic Member
    i think to answer the question you would try to have an unbias opinion on smoking

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by KrooC
    why do u think people gain weight when they quit smoking
    Because they have an addiction and they replace the cigarette addiction with food.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants11
    Because they replace the addiction with something else, mainly food. That's why.
    Damn, you beat me to it.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Someone give me a Newport!

~SC~

*Alex* is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

~SC~
    Newport? now thats a cancer stick.

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

~SC~
    *Hands SC a Newport*

3 minutes later

*Watches SC puke blood and cough up a lung*

1buffsob

good discussion. i figured the nicotine might be the cause. so is there any truth to that comment that it will make you use carbs more than fat? sounds kinda funky...

im actually researching this subject, but so far ive heard that a cigarette in the morning before AM cardio is just like eating food. it raises insulin levels and your body will use more energy from carbohydrates/sugars than from fat..
    I don't understand how that's possible. If your stomach is empty, how is energy coming from carbs/sugars?

1buffsob

Quote Originally Posted by 1buffsob
    I don't understand how that's possible. If your stomach is empty, how is energy coming from carbs/sugars?

1buffsob
    yeah it doesnt make sense. i mean your body takes preference to carbs anyway. would it have an effect on insulin sensitivty though?

Quote Originally Posted by 1buffsob

1buffsob
    lol ill remove the last part about carbs / sugars.. that just doesnt make sense and i agree with u. but he rest i dunno, im still researching this subject

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    From my personal studies smokes do many things such as; Repell poontang, make you cough while doing your AM cardio, give you great breath, and most importantly it repells poontang. In conclusion: keep smoking and smoke a lot cause your only leaving more poontang for me.

haha nice.

lol ill remove the last part about carbs / sugars.. that just doesnt make sense and i agree with u. but he rest i dunno, im still researching this subject
    Let me know what you find. I'm kind of intrigued now.

1buffsob

Looks like Nicotine is quite the little thermogenic when taken with caffeine.

"Nicotine replacement therapy limits weight gain after smoking cessation. This finding is partly attributable to the thermogenic effect of nicotine, which may be enhanced by caffeine. OBJECTIVE: We assessed the acute thermogenic effects of chewing gum containing different doses of nicotine and caffeine. DESIGN: This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study included 12 healthy, normal-weight men (aged 18-45 y). Energy expenditure was measured with indirect calorimetry before and 2.5 h after subjects chewed each of 7 different types of gum containing the following doses of nicotine/caffeine: 0/0, 1/0, 2/0, 1/50, 2/50, 1/100, and 2/100 mg/mg. RESULTS: The thermogenic responses (increases over the response to placebo) were 3.7%, 4.9%, 7.9%, 6.3%, 8.5%, and 9.8%, respectively, for the gums containing 1/0, 2/0, 1/50, 2/50, 1/100, and 2/100 mg nicotine/mg caffeine (P < 0.05 for all). Adding caffeine to 1 and 2 mg nicotine significantly enhanced the thermogenic response, but changing the caffeine dose (from 50 to 100 mg) did not change the thermogenic effect. None of the combinations changed the respiratory quotient compared with placebo, which indicates that glucose and fat oxidation rates were increased to a similar extent. Side effects occurred only with 2 mg nicotine.

CONCLUSIONS: One milligram of nicotine has a pronounced thermogenic effect, which can be increased by approximately 100% by adding 100 mg caffeine. Increasing the nicotine dose to 2 mg does not increase the thermogenic effect but produces side effects in most subjects. Caffeine may be useful in preventing weight gain after smoking cessation if its thermogenic effect can be used to enhance nicotine's effect on long-term energy balance."

Quote Originally Posted by resonator
    Looks like Nicotine is quite the little thermogenic when taken with caffeine.

"Nicotine replacement therapy limits weight gain after smoking cessation. This finding is partly attributable to the thermogenic effect of nicotine, which may be enhanced by caffeine. OBJECTIVE: We assessed the acute thermogenic effects of chewing gum containing different doses of nicotine and caffeine. DESIGN: This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study included 12 healthy, normal-weight men (aged 18-45 y). Energy expenditure was measured with indirect calorimetry before and 2.5 h after subjects chewed each of 7 different types of gum containing the following doses of nicotine/caffeine: 0/0, 1/0, 2/0, 1/50, 2/50, 1/100, and 2/100 mg/mg. RESULTS: The thermogenic responses (increases over the response to placebo) were 3.7%, 4.9%, 7.9%, 6.3%, 8.5%, and 9.8%, respectively, for the gums containing 1/0, 2/0, 1/50, 2/50, 1/100, and 2/100 mg nicotine/mg caffeine (P < 0.05 for all). Adding caffeine to 1 and 2 mg nicotine significantly enhanced the thermogenic response, but changing the caffeine dose (from 50 to 100 mg) did not change the thermogenic effect. None of the combinations changed the respiratory quotient compared with placebo, which indicates that glucose and fat oxidation rates were increased to a similar extent. Side effects occurred only with 2 mg nicotine.

CONCLUSIONS: One milligram of nicotine has a pronounced thermogenic effect, which can be increased by approximately 100% by adding 100 mg caffeine. Increasing the nicotine dose to 2 mg does not increase the thermogenic effect but produces side effects in most subjects. Caffeine may be useful in preventing weight gain after smoking cessation if its thermogenic effect can be used to enhance nicotine's effect on long-term energy balance."
    wow, so it worked great on all 12 men. too bad it was such a small sample size, but that is really interesting.

so you'll have people addicted to coffee and smoking... wait they all already are.

MAXIMA5 is offline Anabolic Member
    I heard crack raises your metabolism also. MAybe you should incorporate that in your next cycle too.

So does Meth, just ask Craig Titus

SHAOKAHN is offline Member
    coffin nails.

-shaokahn-

stuball is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnYouMSN
    yup it's totally true. i smoke three packs a day! i'm ripped as a mofo. gets you huge too! lol nah but really just suppress your appetite. a lot of people forget to eat and just smoke a cigarette
    You hit the nail right on the head, i would light a cigarette, instead of eat when i was working ..Sick Sh!t..

i see the question went from interesting, to completely idiotic in about 1 hour.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    i see the question went from interesting, to completely idiotic in about 1 hour.

With a topic like this, please don't tell me you expected more. I think you got some good replies but not much needs to be said on this subject.
    ***No source checks!!!***

PhishStasH is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    With a topic like this, please don't tell me you expected more. I think you got some good replies but not much needs to be said on this subject.
    Well put. Kind of glad I'm reading this today as I have decided to make a BIG change in my own life as of yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    nahh i didn't. just thought the course the conversation took in that period fo time was comical. but w/e.

Thread Information