Mike Dura is offline Senior Member

You ever have the herd turn against you?

We all know about herds or what's commonly called the mob mentality. You put people in a crowd and they lose their individual consciousness or sense of personal responsibility. This is the stuff of social psych 101.

If a person is being mugged, for example, and there are lots of people around, chances are higher that no one will intervene because there is what's called "a diffusion of individual responsibility." It's as if one feels "why should I do anything? Nobody else is."

In a cohesive (or cliquish) group, if you rub one influential person the wrong way, that person can single you out and form the impression of you for the whole group. In such a case, you can witness members of the group, relying completely on heresay or a group consenus, approach you as if he or she actually knew you from direct experience and treat you with utter contempt (or with incredible adulation).

There's more to it: By singling a person out (in the negative sense) a group increases it's sense of self-worth. There is a logic to scapegoating: It brings identity and pride to the relatively "elite order." This is how we come to understand the Jew and the antisemite during the holocaust.

Anyway, you ever have a herd turn against you? It can happen! Watch out! It may be you that is cattled onto a train and shipped off to a camp. Creepy yet real.
    Last edited by Mike Dura; 05-22-2006 at 10:09 PM.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    I think that most women will say its not the size of the boat its the motion in the ocean.. or whatever that saying is hahahaha

yeah but you're responding to the wrong thread!!! What do we have here? A little reefer madness going on?

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    I think that most women will say its not the size of the boat its the motion in the ocean.. or whatever that saying is hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dura
    yeah but you're responding to the wrong thread!!! What do we have here? A little reefer madness going on?
    lol yea what the ****?

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    uhhh damn. I wish I could say I was drunk.. but im not lol.... Nah just had surgery on wednesday so I am still on pain killers LOL...they make me crazy

Liftnainez is offline Banned
    We all know about herds or what's commonly called the mob mentality. You put people in a crowd and they lose their individual consciousness or sense of personal responsibility. This is the stuff of social psych 101.

If a person is being mugged, for example, and there are lots of people around, chances are higher that no one will intervene because there is what's called "a diffusion of individual responsibility." It's as if one feels "why should I do anything? Nobody else is."

In a cohesive (or cliquish) group, if you rub one influential person the wrong way, that person can single you out and form the impression of you for the whole group. In such a case, you can witness members of the group, relying completely on heresay or a group consenus, approach you as if he or she actually knew you from direct experience and treat you with utter contempt (or with incredible adulation).

There's more to it: By singling a person out (in the negative sense) a group increases it's sense of self-worth. There is a logic to scapegoating: It brings identity and pride to the relatively "elite order." This is how we come to understand the Jew and the antisemite during the holocaust.

Anyway, you ever have a herd turn against you? It can happen! Watch out! It may be you that is cattled onto a train and shipped off to a camp. Creepy yet real.
    A logic that is not in the least bit normal or able to be understood..

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    mooo

Pooks is offline Anabolic Member
    smaller people always try to herd up against me, especially at work..
    they dont get very far, cause i kick their asses LOL and make them look like idiots.

Trick is to Kill the head..
    Kill the head, and the body will die.

Find the leader of the mob,, usually the smallest guy of them all.. with a big mouth.. and than u single him out and make a fool out of him.

if its a bigger guy, challenging your authority, and hasa following of traitors, who are putting money on him..
    again u dont go after the followers, u gotta go straight for the leader imo..u challenge him face to face, and u gotta be able to out talk the mutha****er LOL, while at the same time manipulate the situation make him out the bad guy, than insulate yourself from him, by having him isolated in some way of form, so he cant rise up against you again. At work it might be, going to higher ups and telling them to tell him never to talk to you again.. in the club it might having him kicked out of the club or something.. and if u're like a dictator or something, than u have him locked away in a dungeon, or killed off.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    I have had the heard turn against me..
    And it wasn't a situation i would ever like to be in again..

And worst off it was all because i left the party early and came back at the wrong time.

One good thing about it though is it gave me an excuse to make a lot of changes (this was 3 years ago)

Pooks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizfit
    I have had the heard turn against me..
    And it wasn't a situation i would ever like to be in again..

And worst off it was all because i left the party early and came back at the wrong time.

One good thing about it though is it gave me an excuse to make a lot of changes (this was 3 years ago)

yah if its your friends or family who turn against u, than that does suck.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooks
    yah if its your friends or family who turn against u, than that does suck.
    these were club friends..

And all i can say is thank god for modern technology or my ass would've been grass.

I had stuff on the person who was after me..

Note to all: Women who are high or drunk - are freakin evil

bigbouncinballs is offline Senior Member
    the herd's always against me...

stupid herd.

crash187ct is offline Senior Member
    i don't think i go out enough to even qualify as being in a herd. majority of my "friends" are drunks, and druggies. after i quit all that junk years ago in highschool, i pretty much just chill with my gf....like a boring stick lol.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by crash187ct
    i don't think i go out enough to even qualify as being in a herd. majority of my "friends" are drunks, and druggies. after i quit all that junk years ago in highschool, i pretty much just chill with my gf....like a boring stick lol.
    i am in the exact same situ as you.

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    I'll just fight the herd.

stunner5000pt is offline Anabolic Member
    isnt the crowd not helping a person get mugged/raped/murdered called the Genovese Syndrome?

i m never in the herd because of the way i talk and behave. The herd is usually against me, actually. And i seem to like this... i m actaully an attention whore. It must be because im an only child, or my upbringing
    o well

j3374 is offline Associate Member
    LOL. This sounds like a crazy paranoid person.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooks
    smaller people always try to herd up against me, especially at work..
    they dont get very far, cause i kick their asses LOL and make them look like idiots.

Trick is to Kill the head..
    Kill the head, and the body will die.

Find the leader of the mob,, usually the smallest guy of them all.. with a big mouth.. and than u single him out and make a fool out of him.

if its a bigger guy, challenging your authority, and hasa following of traitors, who are putting money on him..
    again u dont go after the followers, u gotta go straight for the leader imo..u challenge him face to face, and u gotta be able to out talk the mutha****er LOL, while at the same time manipulate the situation make him out the bad guy, than insulate yourself from him, by having him isolated in some way of form, so he cant rise up against you again. At work it might be, going to higher ups and telling them to tell him never to talk to you again.. in the club it might having him kicked out of the club or something.. and if u're like a dictator or something, than u have him locked away in a dungeon, or killed off.

I used to outwardly fit in with the Jock crowd in HS. But deep inside, I always felt like my own guy.....my own beat, my own drum. When ever there is some kind of consensus and everyone is unanamious, I start to think it must be wrong. The majority voted Bush in (at least for the second election).

Quote Originally Posted by stunner5000pt
    isnt the crowd not helping a person get mugged/raped/murdered called the Genovese Syndrome?

i m never in the herd because of the way i talk and behave. The herd is usually against me, actually. And i seem to like this... i m actaully an attention whore. It must be because im an only child, or my upbringing
    o well

Evil Predator is offline Senior Member
    I've literally had a herd of bulls turn on me I was rounding em up and givin' em kicks in the thigh to get em to go where I wanted. My horse Sarrat bumped one of the bulls, and it got pissed, a bunch of em started stomping around. I turned tail and got me and my horse out of there When she was younger, she was an awesome horse. Agressive and mean, but really smart. If i'd known then what I know now she'd have got alot more equipoise and some tren

As far as people, ya, definately. Short of my family and best friends, when I was drinking, everyone had written me off. I dont blame them one bit though.

Thread Information