Thread: HD Cable

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED

HD Cable

I need advice.

Those of you with HD cable cards, how did you get your card?

I went to the awful Cable Vision Store located all the way in the middle of no where Brooklyn. It took me 2 hours to get there by train and bus. Once there the desk clerk told me I would not be able to get any channels besides basic cable if I went with a cable card instead of their HD box. I know this is not true from researching the web. The stupid clerk insisted and I ended up having to talk to a manager. The manager told me the clerk is wrong. The only thing I would not get with the card is on demand and pay per view. I told her that is fine, I never use the service and I requested a card. She said they do not give out cards at the location that a technician has to come to my house and install it for me for $50. I said the card costs $1.25 a month to rent from the cable company and $50 to install? $50? I have to pay someone $50 to come to my house and plug a card into the back of a TV and turn it on? She said yes.

I called cable vision customer service and they said they would not mail a card to me but they could mail an HD cable box. I told them I don't want an HD box, I just want the HD card. They said that an installer has to bring it out to me and no matter what, that is the only way I can get the card.

Is this the case? All of you with a $1.25 a month HD card paid $50 for someone to bring it to you?
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

bda2424 is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like they are blowin smoke up your ass.........i worked at best buy tv department and in my ed classes the customer just orders a cable card from their company for between 50 and 100 bucks and it is simply sent to them. A five year old could install the stupid thing..........nobody should get paid to do that. Thats f'n hilarious.

Bump.

None of you guys have HD cable or HD cards?

aadrenaline is offline Banned
    Do you have IO?

if you do all you have to do is bring your regular box back and exchange it for a HD box that should be all you need..well plus the HD wires and shit.

what kind of TV? my sony didnt need a card although i have a card slot...i think the card slot is for local channels set in HD but im not too sure..i know with IO you get..CBS, NBC, FOX, ESPN, MSG, YES, WB, and a few others..if you dont have IO you just have regular calbe or whatnot its an extra $10 a month to switch to IO.

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    Depending on the company, I do know that some will not sell the cards, and will only install them for you. It's their way of ripping you off alittle. I thought that you could buy the cards seperately online though. Maybe I'm worng.

Quote Originally Posted by cfiler
    Depending on the company, I do know that some will not sell the cards, and will only install them for you. It's their way of ripping you off alittle. I thought that you could buy the cards seperately online though. Maybe I'm worng.
    With cable vision you can't buy the cards online. You have to get the card from them because they install their software or some shit on them. They're only making $1.25 a month renting the card so I guess the install is their way of making money off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by aadrenaline
    what kind of TV?
    I ordered a 40" BRAVIA™ XBR LCD HDTVKDL-V40XBR1. I ordered it on April 20th and it's been on back order. It shipped Thursday and will get here this week. I ordered it using my Sony employee discount. I got new for 40% off list.

Quote Originally Posted by aadrenaline
    Do you have IO?
    my sony didnt need a card although i have a card slot...i think the card slot is for local channels set in HD but im not too sure.
    I have IO digital cable. If you have the cable card slot on your TV you don't have to use the box. The only thing the card cannot do that the box does is PPV and On Demand. You will have to call them to order movies instead of buying with your remote. The card is $1.25 a month compared to $15.00 a month for the HD box. Picture quality is better using the card vs a box. Since I paid for an HD set I want to see every pixel possible.

• CableCARD™ Slot provides cable subscribers with access to digitally encrypted cable channels - without the need for a set-top box - that will enable you to receive not only standard definition but also high definition television. The CableCARD, which is provided by your cable TV provider, is inserted into the TV’s rear panel CableCARD slot. After the service is activated with your cable TV company, the card replaces the need for a separate set-top box.

Cable Vision HD channels are

700 Hi-def On Demand
    701 INHD
    702 CBS HD
    704 NBC HD
    705 FOX HD
    707 ABC HD
    711 WB HD
    713 Thirteen HD
    715 YES Network HD
    720 MSG Network HD
    725 FSN NY HD
    736 ESPN HD
    740 Stars HD
    744 Universal HD
    750 HBO HD
    760 Showtime HD
    770 Cinemax HD
    780 The Movie Channel HD

The channel I wanted to see most is Discovery HD and cable vision for some idiotic reason doesn't have it. I've watched it at my sister's house and it looks incredible. It has some of the best HD content.

I don't want the HD box because I'm waiting on the Tivo series 3 to come out later this year.

TiVo Series 3 HD DVR
    The Series 3 will feature six overall tuners, 2 each for over-the-air transmissions, digital NTSC (including HD), and ATSC. The upshot is that it can record anything off the airwaves, digital cable including HD content, and older analog cable content. While this may look like overkill, TiVo's plan was to make it possible to record two streams simultaneously, from any given source. When it comes to output, the unit is reasonably stocked with HDMI, component, S-Video, and composite cable support, and it supports outputs up to 1080i.

Other specs include built-in Ethernet, 2 USB ports, a modem, RCA or digital optical audio, and a little surprise: an external Serial ATA interface that will allow you to manually attach extra storage to your TiVo—no hacking or expensive mods required.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    I ordered a 40" BRAVIA™ XBR LCD HDTVKDL-V40XBR1. I ordered it on April 20th and it's been on back order. It shipped Thursday and will get here this week. I ordered it using my Sony employee discount. I got new for 40% off list.

I have IO digital cable. If you have the cable card slot on your TV you don't have to use the box. The only thing the card cannot do that the box does is PPV and On Demand. You will have to call them to order movies instead of buying with your remote. The card is $1.25 a month compared to $15.00 a month for the HD box. Picture quality is better using the card vs a box. Since I paid for an HD set I want to see every pixel possible.

• CableCARD™ Slot provides cable subscribers with access to digitally encrypted cable channels - without the need for a set-top box - that will enable you to receive not only standard definition but also high definition television. The CableCARD, which is provided by your cable TV provider, is inserted into the TV’s rear panel CableCARD slot. After the service is activated with your cable TV company, the card replaces the need for a separate set-top box.

Cable Vision HD channels are

700 Hi-def On Demand
    701 INHD
    702 CBS HD
    704 NBC HD
    705 FOX HD
    707 ABC HD
    711 WB HD
    713 Thirteen HD
    715 YES Network HD
    720 MSG Network HD
    725 FSN NY HD
    736 ESPN HD
    740 Stars HD
    744 Universal HD
    750 HBO HD
    760 Showtime HD
    770 Cinemax HD
    780 The Movie Channel HD

The channel I wanted to see most is Discovery HD and cable vision for some idiotic reason doesn't have it. I've watched it at my sister's house and it looks incredible. It has some of the best HD content.

oh i remember the card costing like $300-400 i think when i was at best buy you pay a one time fee and keep the card.idk w/e my HD is absolutely amazing..i mean amazing..i have the 50" Grand WEGA™ SXRD™ Rear Projection HDTVKDS-R50XBR1

i got it in like november for $3000 it was then retailing for $4500

I've seen that in the employee store. Very nice. Have you heard about the SXRD model coming out this fall? They took 4-6" off of the case and at the consumer electronic show they had them wall mounted.

mwolffey is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't want the HD box because I'm waiting on the Tivo series 3 to come out later this year.

TiVo Series 3 HD DVR
    The Series 3 will feature six overall tuners, 2 each for over-the-air transmissions, digital NTSC (including HD), and ATSC. The upshot is that it can record anything off the airwaves, digital cable including HD content, and older analog cable content. While this may look like overkill, TiVo's plan was to make it possible to record two streams simultaneously, from any given source. When it comes to output, the unit is reasonably stocked with HDMI, component, S-Video, and composite cable support, and it supports outputs up to 1080i.

Other specs include built-in Ethernet, 2 USB ports, a modem, RCA or digital optical audio, and a little surprise: an external Serial ATA interface that will allow you to manually attach extra storage to your TiVo—no hacking or expensive mods required.

DAMN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mwolffey
    DAMN!!!
    Do you have Tivo now? I have a series 2 but it can't do HD.

STAYHUNGRY is offline Associate Member
    There actually was a Supreme Court hearing because the cable companies wanted to ban Cable cards. With a cable card, everything is the same except you cannot order IN DEMAND movies or sports events with your remote control, you have to call the cable company. The cable company argued that this would hurt their pay per view business but the Court said it is peope's right to have the card. Now the cable companies just do everything they can to make it seem difficult to get a cable card because they want what is called "impulse buying" of movies and PPV with your remote. You push them enough and they have to give you the cable card. They set the channels or package onto the card. No hassles and don't let anyone **** with you.

I've seen that in the employee store. Very nice. Have you heard about the SXRD model coming out this fall? They took 4-6" off of the case and at the consumer electronic show they had them wall mounted.

the model i have was based off a model already out..it came out for $20,000 orginally..its down to $13,000 last time i checked..they took that techonolgy and made the SXRD model that i own out of it...

but anyway lets give it up for matt hughes for beating that shit talker tonight!!

Thread Information