mavsluva is offline "Gone but not forgotten" 10/11/07

Anyone here own a waverunner?

And if you do, and are pretty well versed with it, I need your help.

I have a 1999 Yamaha 1200 SUV (the 4 seater) and it has been an awesome toy up until recently. Unfortunately, this thing has given me nothing but trouble the past few months. It started when my wife's friend was driving it and her friend elected to drive directly over our ski rope which ended up getting caught in the intake grille. The rope went through the intake grill and wrapped itself around the drive shaft causing the motor to stall. I immediately got the boat back on the trailer and pulled it out of the water. I was able to remove the intake grille and get the rope out with ease (luckily). I reinstalled the intake grille with a silicon substance and the various bolts and took it out the following weekend.

Here comes the problem. I got it in the water that next weekend and the engine compartment began filling up with water rather quickly. I got the boat out of the water and removed the drain plugs to allow the boat to drain. To make a long story short, the Yamaha dealership is charging me $1300.00 to make the necessary repairs. They're telling me that the ski rope caused damage to the driveshaft seals so they need to be replaced. These seals are inexpensive, but the motor will have to be REMOVED to perform this service.

Does that sound accurate?

Grace and peace,
    Mavsluva

FranKieC is offline "AR's Pretty Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by mavsluva
    And if you do, and are pretty well versed with it, I need your help.

I have a 1999 Yamaha 1200 SUV (the 4 seater) and it has been an awesome toy up until recently. Unfortunately, this thing has given me nothing but trouble the past few months. It started when my wife's friend was driving it and her friend elected to drive directly over our ski rope which ended up getting caught in the intake grille. The rope went through the intake grill and wrapped itself around the drive shaft causing the motor to stall. I immediately got the boat back on the trailer and pulled it out of the water. I was able to remove the intake grille and get the rope out with ease (luckily). I reinstalled the intake grille with a silicon substance and the various bolts and took it out the following weekend.

Here comes the problem. I got it in the water that next weekend and the engine compartment began filling up with water rather quickly. I got the boat out of the water and removed the drain plugs to allow the boat to drain. To make a long story short, the Yamaha dealership is charging me $1300.00 to make the necessary repairs. They're telling me that the ski rope caused damage to the driveshaft seals so they need to be replaced. These seals are inexpensive, but the motor will have to be REMOVED to perform this service.

Does that sound accurate?

Grace and peace,
    Mavsluva

I would say it's a little pricey..Going to the dealer ship always is more expensive. I have a 2004 Ultra 150 and luckily it's been fine. I would try finding someone else and getting a cheaper quote because that's kinda high

PROTEINSHAKE is offline Protein Power
    yea bro...once those seals are shot...ususally the motor had to come out since the drive shaft goes thru the hull into the engine bay..the only way to get the shaft & seals out is to remove the motor.. Once a ski gives you a HINT of trouble...GET RID OF IT!! I have had many skiis & I am meticiulous how I maintain my stuff..they break often & are expensive to repair if you have a shop do it. if the motor has been good to you -then suck it up & repair it & keep the ski...if its starting to act up..maybe time to unload it..We need a PWC license here..so I got rid of mine..got my BOAT now..even more fun & expense!!! good luck bro

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Ya, considering how many hours it takes to remove and install it alone. It is probably a few hundred over priced, but whatever. They gotta replace some tricky things.

Quote Originally Posted by FranKieC
    I would say it's a little pricey..Going to the dealer ship always is more expensive. I have a 2004 Ultra 150 and luckily it's been fine. I would try finding someone else and getting a cheaper quote because that's kinda high
    I agree with you 100%. However, the mom and pop repair shops that I have taken it to have rejected my craft saying that they have minimal experience with the SUV model. What doesn't make sense about that is that the motor that comes in my SUV is the same motor that comes in the Yamaha 1200XL and GPR. I think it's the design of the larger hull that's turning these other shops away.

But do they have to remove the actual motor to get to these seals?

PROTEINSHAKE is offline Protein Power
    NOW that doesnt make sense...seems as if they might not want to be bothered with either you or that ski for some reason. any good technician could fix it if they have worked on skiis before.

Great feedback already. What I've already read is making a lot of sense.

The craft has been excellent, and what makes it so attractive is that it is a 1999 with only 50 hours on it. I can't hold the manufacture responsible for the irresponsibility of some chick! I'll most likely keep it as the thing is in tip-top shape.

Quote Originally Posted by getnjakked
    yea bro...once those seals are shot...ususally the motor had to come out since the drive shaft goes thru the hull into the engine bay..the only way to get the shaft & seals out is to remove the motor.. Once a ski gives you a HINT of trouble...GET RID OF IT!! I have had many skiis & I am meticiulous how I maintain my stuff..they break often & are expensive to repair if you have a shop do it. if the motor has been good to you -then suck it up & repair it & keep the ski...if its starting to act up..maybe time to unload it..We need a PWC license here..so I got rid of mine..got my BOAT now..even more fun & expense!!! good luck bro
    Thank you sir. What you've stated is exactly what I'm hearing from both Yamaha and the other repair shops.

Ufa
    Ufa is offline Anabolic Member
    I owned a waver runner 155 hp. Was nice for about 350 hrs. Then it blew up.
    This is quite common after 300 hrs. 5 miles to the gallon if your lucky. $500
    per year insurance.

Don't know about the new 4 cycle.

Bottom line they are money whores.

STYLE74 is offline Got Style?
    The price seems a little bit high...but sometimes it's worth it to pay a little more and the job will get done right!! If you try to shop around for a better price you might save but they might not do the right job and it will end up costing you more in the longrun....plus most dealers would probably stand behind their work. Good Luck!!

Thread Information