Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bigstiffler is offline Associate Member

Exclamation i benched 305lbs today!

i'm so pyched today was the 1st time i hit the 300lb mark for a bench press!! my stats are 19 years old 189lbs 10.8%b/f (as of saturday morning) & benched 305lbs for 3 reps & the 4th with a spot & i'm bulking up until january for the bodybuilding show i plan on doing in march!! cant wait to c what i can bench by the end of the year!! i'm also putting on great mass 2morw starts my 4th week of test e @ 500mgs/wk & last week of superdrol. test will b ran for 10wks followed by proper pct. gained a total of 9lbs so far! i chose the superdrol over d-bol because i didnt want all that extra water weight...
    but other than that i feel like i'm 15 again loosing my virginity!!!

Liftnainez is offline Banned
    good job

SkylineGTR is offline Associate Member
    sweet deal man....but 19 is pretty young to dive into the darkside....but o well....good job...ull always remember ur first cycle

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkylineGTR
    sweet deal man....but 19 is pretty young to dive into the darkside....but o well....good job...ull always remember ur first cycle

Agreed.

rar1015 is offline Anabolic Member
    Good job man!

chest6 is offline Banned
    Ur profile says ur 20? Either way 19 is too young.

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    Cool.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    *shakes head*

Badgerman is offline Banned
    Hate to burst your bubble but we have 4 or 5 kids your size benching those numbers au natural..........if you HAVE to use.......stick to anavar

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    congrats bro. contrary to internet statistics, most people can NOT bench press 300lbs. even once.

chest6 is offline Banned
    sucks to be him...

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    thats great, any pics you wanna share?

statuZ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    sucks to be him...
    whys that? 300lbs is not amazing, but for a 19yo im impressed as long as they are controlled presses.

TheOak* is offline New Member

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOak*
    Man I hate when these things happen. I was about to congratulate the guy on his new best and you post this. Now I find it hard to believe the guy. I even find it hard to believe he is 10-11%bf. In those other pics he is probably 15%bf or so and since he is now 10lbs heavier and he says he has gained 9lbs on this cycle (not all of which is muscle I assume) I can only guess his bf% is the same or higher than it was then.

I mean I rarely ever call BS on people lift stats. For one because it seems rude and it COULD possibly be true, but also even if its a lie they just say the same line "I have no reason to lie, whatever dude I did it."
    But really I would call BS on many people on this board for what they claim to lift. 300lbs for this guy and that is what he looks like? Granted some people are just naturally strong or just benchpress well etc. But I can tell you from personal experience and being around many who bodybuild that in my gym there are not many people who are bodybuilders who bench 3-4 plates. They do their form PERFECTLY and stick to lower weights 8-12 reps. In fact just the other day I saw one of the biggest men at my gym (intimidates the shit outta me for sure and not many do) and he laid down for bench press. Me being a GUY wanted to see what he would load up. Well he loaded up three plates and never went higher. Did absolutely perfect form with NO shakes nothing at all, and this is how bench pressing should be done.

Now the thread starter here, looking at his physique I dont see him loading up 300+ lbs and performing good reps. In fact I dont see him putting it down slowly to his chest and back up to the top even once. I had to say it here, I see WAY too many people throwing up these numbers. And if anyone ever notices when people make claims about their bench press IT IS 99% OF THE TIME around 315lbs. 2 plates seems ordinary to them I guess and 4 plates seems too high and of course they have to give a number of plates evenly, they couldnt possibly say oh 2 plates and 20 on each side. They just think ok well 3 plates seem plausible. No my friends NO WAY. Have you ever loaded up 3 plates unracked it and performed perrcet reps for a few sets? Well I have and let me tell you I will be the first to admit it is not easy.

If you are a powerlifter or a very advanced bodybuilder sure its not hard but for the average guy on this board and around the world its not gonna ever happen. Sorry to burst your bubbles.

Oh BTW

Stumbo is offline Senior Member
    I agree with bino. I hate calling BS, but it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino
    In fact just the other day I saw one of the biggest men at my gym (intimidates the shit outta me for sure and not many do) and he laid down for bench press. Me being a GUY wanted to see what he would load up. Well he loaded up three plates and never went higher. Did absolutely perfect form with NO shakes nothing at all, and this is how bench pressing should be done.

Amen to that, the guy you mentioned is their to improve and work his chest but in reality it seems 98% of people that workout/go to the gym just wanna be able to lift big numbers and they don't care what it takes (shitty form etc.), some kind of stupid guy macho thing. You see it all the time, ****ing guy's in the gym doing chest 4x a week walking around like they are bad asses and most of the time look like shit, big gut, small arms etc..and don't even get me started on the legs.

You would laugh at the numbers i put up on Bench and i am 195lbs but i damn well guarantee that if you were to look over and watch me lift you would see me lifting with good form and concentration on chest. I mean if you are working chest, you should only stimulate chest and push with the contraction.

Most end up using their delts, triceps with bad form just to get the weight up to be able to say "I did this bla bla bla"...

Anyway's, this got me ranting..

If the original poster is benching 300+, good for you but i challenge you to try it using good form and check out this video to see what proper form is..this video has helped me a hell of alot on bench etc...

http://thefitshow.com/week3/milos_chest_med.htm
    Last edited by Panzerfaust; 07-04-2006 at 05:36 AM.

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    Amen to that, the guy you mentioned is their to improve and work his chest but in reality it seems 98% of people that workout/go to the gym just wanna be able to lift big numbers and they don't care what it takes (shitty form etc.), some kind of stupid guy macho thing. You see it all the time, ****ing guy's in the gym doing chest 4x a week walking around like they are bad asses and most of the time look like shit, big gut, small arms etc..and don't even get me started on the legs.

You would laugh at the numbers i put up on Bench and i am 195lbs but i damn well guarantee that if you were to look over and watch me lift you would see me lifting with good form and concentration on chest. I mean if you are working chest, you should only stimulate chest and push with the contraction.

Most end up using their delts, triceps with bad form just to get the weight up to be able to say "I did this bla bla bla"...

If the original poster is benching 300+, good for you but i challenge you to try it using good form and check out this video to see what proper form is..this video has helped me a hell of alot on bench etc...

Thats a great video dude, thanks !!!

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

I guess it depends on what one considers beeing proper form.
    I would rather not bench at all than to bench the way Milos is demonstrating. Going heavy with flared elbows=ripped chest.

Powerlifting style is far safer. Id say its smarter to leave the bench as a strenght exercise and use dumbell press as the growth exercise. Because bb style beching is just dangerous.

Offcourse that is just my oppinion and Im a powerliftter not a bodybuilder. But imho flaring elbows while benching is like deadlifting with a bent back. Simply not the safe way to do it.

Just to add though my chest is by far my worst muscle group while triceps are my second best.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    i got 315 .. 18 times a wihle ago

I DARE SOMEONE TO CALL BS!

stee is offline Member
    tai your full of BS dude. haha.

only joking man. good on ya if you got that for 18.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    I guess it depends on what one considers beeing proper form.
    I would rather not bench at all than to bench the way Milos is demonstrating. Going heavy with flared elbows=ripped chest.

Powerlifting style is far safer. Id say its smarter to leave the bench as a strenght exercise and use dumbell press as the growth exercise. Because bb style beching is just dangerous.

Offcourse that is just my oppinion and Im a powerliftter not a bodybuilder. But imho flaring elbows while benching is like deadlifting with a bent back. Simply not the safe way to do it.
    That's where you are missing the point Johan, Milos is stressing the importance of dropping the weight down and focusing on the contraction and proper form. Like he said, he has had guys benching over 400lbs come to him and he got them to try it his way at 200lbs and their chest just exploded from it.

It's not about how much weight you can get up, it's about targeting the intended muscle and making it do the work.

For instance, i put a 35lb plate on each side of the incline bench and did the pause method Milos suggested and let me tell you, it will target your chest like crazy..you just have to try it. I was definately fatigued after those sets. I feel like i am just learning how to lift properly and my mind/muscle coordination is so much better and i could'nt be happier, the weight is gonna come in time but it is not the focus of my workout.
    Last edited by Panzerfaust; 07-04-2006 at 07:24 AM.

Timm1704 is offline Anabolic Member
    ok i have to chime in on binos post, which for the most part i agree with. in my mind, the reason people announce when they have benched 315 is simply because to myself, and most at my gym, another 45 on each side is a milestone. 225, 315, 405, 495 etc. first time i benched 315 i was very chuffed with myself, i never mentioned it on here (what is the point), but if i was benching 327.957 lbs i wouldnt even give it much thought lol. in saying that, if i posted pics, it would be believeable that i benched 315. oooo, all this talk is making me wanna get in the gym, im taking a week off, its only been two days and i feel lost lol

That's where you are missing the point Johan, Milos is stressing the importance of dropping the weight down and focusing on the contraction and proper form. Like he said, he has had guys benching over 400lbs come to him and he got them to try it his way at 200lbs and their chest just exploded from it.

It's not about how much weight you can get up, it's about targeting the intended muscle and making it do the work.

For instance, i put a 35lb plate on each side of the incline bench and did the pause method Milos suggested and let me tell you, it will target your chest like crazy..you just have to try it. I was definately fatigued after those sets. I feel like i am just learning how to lift properly and my mind/muscle coordination is so much better and i could'nt be happier, the weight is gonna come in time but it is not the focus of my workout.
    But is the added risk of the exercise worth the extra stimulation on the muscle?
    Im just looking at it from my perspective beeing a guy that wants a big bench more than a big chest

If you ever get so strong that you can put 400-500 on the bench doing it the way Milos is showing you almost surely will rip something sooner or later. It puts the chest in a very vanuerable position.
    Injuries associated with benching is from what I can tell the most comon injuries in the gym and I bet 90% of those injuries come from benching bb style with flared elbows and laying flat on the bench.

Any growth that can be achieved with the bench can be achieved with dumbells aswell but more safetly, so thats why I think all benching should be done the proper and safe PL style while growth stimulation can be left for the dumbells.

I just look at the bench like a purely strenght exercise because I feel it is unsafe as a growth exercise.

Its a risk vs benifits thing imo and the risk far outweights the benifits.

But like I said earlier I think like a powerlifer and train like a powerlifter so growth is just a nice side effect and not the purpose of my workouts For me it is about getting maximum weight up as safetly as possible and not about targeting my chest...

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    i agree with all of the numbers comments, but to the original poster... if you did it, congrats.

Johan, i see where you are coming from with the risks. but what i don't understand is how you say benchig isnt a safe growth exercise. you also say that IYO, DB presses will get you size. now chest (and lats, incase buff reads this ) is my smallest body part, i am still strong there, but it lacks in size. so i am looking to your knowledge for a little help. in your opinion, what would be the best growth exercise for your chest and how would you perfrom those exercises to achieve the greatest growth the safest?
    sorry to hijack, but i see this the best time/place to ask you this. i really could u e the help in this department.

But is the added risk of the exercise worth the extra stimulation on the muscle?
    Im just looking at it from my perspective beeing a guy that wants a big bench more than a big chest

If you ever get so strong that you can put 400-500 on the bench doing it the way Milos is showing you almost surely will rip something sooner or later. It puts the chest in a very vanuerable position.
    Injuries associated with benching is from what I can tell the most comon injuries in the gym and I bet 90% of those injuries come from benching bb style with flared elbows and laying flat on the bench.

Any growth that can be achieved with the bench can be achieved with dumbells aswell but more safetly, so thats why I think all benching should be done the proper and safe PL style while growth stimulation can be left for the dumbells.

I just look at the bench like a purely strenght exercise because I feel it is unsafe as a growth exercise.

Its a risk vs benifits thing imo and the risk far outweights the benifits.

But like I said earlier I think like a powerlifer and train like a powerlifter so growth is just a nice side effect and not the purpose of my workouts For me it is about getting maximum weight up as safetly as possible and not about targeting my chest...

I am not trying to convince you, apparently you have made up your mind on how you want to do it.

This is bodybuilding, not powerlifting IMO. Like Milos said, one guy was doing 80kg (180lbs) and had an enourmous chest and the other was doing 200kg (440lbs) and had a very undeveloped chest.

Turns out the guy with no chest was a powerlifter so of course he was using all supporting muscle groups to complete the movement. The other guy was a bodybuilder and was interested in stimulating Chest and making it grow. It's that simple. I think you are so focused on numbers that you miss the point i am trying to make.
    Last edited by Panzerfaust; 07-04-2006 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    i agree with all of the numbers comments, but to the original poster... if you did it, congrats.

Johan, i see where you are coming from with the risks. but what i don't understand is how you say benchig isnt a safe growth exercise. you also say that IYO, DB presses will get you size. now chest (and lats, incase buff reads this ) is my smallest body part, i am still strong there, but it lacks in size. so i am looking to your knowledge for a little help. in your opinion, what would be the best growth exercise for your chest and how would you perfrom those exercises to achieve the greatest growth the safest?
    sorry to hijack, but i see this the best time/place to ask you this. i really could u e the help in this department.
    Im realy the worst person in asking how to get your chest to grow to be dead honest I have a shitty chest and I have never been able to get it to grow.

When I say that I think bench isnt a safe growth exercise its because to isolate chest you need to lie flat on the bench and flare your elblows. This causes alot of stress on the chest when you touch the barbel to the chest. If you get stronger the risk of ripping the chest becomes so much bigger. It also puts alot more stress on shoulders.

But if you do it PL style and arch your back, tuck the elbows, roll up on the shoulder blades ect you decrease the range of motion and relive that stress on the chest and shoulders. But you also disconnect chest from the movement and focus more on triceps and lats. Chest still work though.

Try doing the bench movement in the air with elbows flared and elbows tucked and you will notice the difference in how stretched out the chest is in the bottom. Elbows tucked feels much more natural imo.

But you better listen to SC, Muriol ect when it comes to growth advice.

mesomorph is offline Associate Member
    I believe the kid, if one were to brag, wouldn't you pick more weight than 300? Plus that thread was before his first cycle. A lot of us skinny dudes put on about 20lbs in the first month of our first cycle. Some water for sure, but it still helps you put up some awesome weight & gives you some awesome strength changes.

My lifting buddy brewed some tren for a buddy of his. His bench went up 100lbs (145 to 245lbs) & he gained 30lb in 8 weeks on his first 8 week cycle.

I am not trying to convince you, apparently you have made up your mind on how you want to do it.

This is bodybuilding, not powerlifting IMO. Like Milos said, one guy was doing 80kg (180lbs) and had an enourmous chest and the other was doing 200kg (440lbs) and had a very undeveloped chest.

Turns out the guy with no chest was a powerlifter so of course he was using all supporting muscle groups to complete the movement. The other guy was a bodybuilder and was interested in stimulating Chest and making it grow. It's that simple. I think you are so focused on numbers that you miss the point i am trying to make.
    No bro I understand your point perfectly.

Its just that BB style benching isnt a safe exercise imo.
    I would never recomend anyone to bench BB style, doesnt matter if they are bodybuilder or powerlifter, for any reason because of the uncountable number of people that have destroyed there shoulder and ripped there chest because of it. Why use a dangerous exercise when another exercise can get the job done safetly? DB press can isolate the chest better and is safer than bb style bench.

I dont deny that doing bench that way isolates chest better and I agree that PL style benching is more or less worthless to make the chest grow. I just argue against bb style benching because of the risk involved.

We just have to agree to disagree

thanks a lot johan. haha funny how my chest sucks and i bench the way you recommend. arched with shoulderblades back and elbows tucked and close. hehe. i guess i will widen my elbows a little, for a while just to see if i see development, and i'm not pressing massive weight either so i might be ok for a while. when you lift big weight anyway, size will come with teh numbers so i do agree that form is a must at high weight, or difficult weight i should say. great conversation here guys, all appreciated.

daytrader is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.S.N.
    congrats bro. contrary to internet statistics, most people can NOT bench press 300lbs. even once.
    I COMPLETLEY agree with this

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    thanks a lot johan. haha funny how my chest sucks and i bench the way you recommend. arched with shoulderblades back and elbows tucked and close. hehe. i guess i will widen my elbows a little, for a while just to see if i see development, and i'm not pressing massive weight either so i might be ok for a while. when you lift big weight anyway, size will come with teh numbers so i do agree that form is a must at high weight, or difficult weight i should say. great conversation here guys, all appreciated.
    try hitting the flyes and db presses at all angles hard first and se if that helps and make sure not go to to failure often

Well I went and started some shit eh LOL.
    Anyways, Im not gonna argue between vets/mods but I will just state I cannot agree with Johan at all. Nothing against him of course (and he knows that) but I am a bodybuilder and cannot understand how the way I benchpress is dangerous at all. Especially when you say doing dumbells instead of barbell somehow makes it safer? I hold the dumbells the exact same way I hold the barbell, elbows out and back flat. What is the difference that makes it safer?

Regardless, like Milos says (as I have seen that video before...and its great) you need to incorporate variations of bench press, Charles Glass also says the same...that you should incorporate some powerlifting style bench press into your routine just for variation. But if I and many other bodybuilders and trainers use this style and never have an injury I dont see how you can assert that it is bound to happen.

JMO.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    I passed 300 a while ago and never posted about it. I don't lift by the numbers. I lift for shape and train by the mirror. Size and symmetry is where it's at. Strength... pft!
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino
    Well I went and started some shit eh LOL.
    Anyways, Im not gonna argue between vets/mods but I will just state I cannot agree with Johan at all. Nothing against him of course (and he knows that) but I am a bodybuilder and cannot understand how the way I benchpress is dangerous at all. Especially when you say doing dumbells instead of barbell somehow makes it safer? I hold the dumbells the exact same way I hold the barbell, elbows out and back flat. What is the difference that makes it safer?

Regardless, like Milos says (as I have seen that video before...and its great) you need to incorporate variations of bench press, Charles Glass also says the same...that you should incorporate some powerlifting style bench press into your routine just for variation. But if I and many other bodybuilders and trainers use this style and never have an injury I dont see how you can assert that it is bound to happen.

JMO.
    Well we all got our oppinions and mine is probably in the minority so no offence meant to anyone and I certanly take no offence either I can confess that I have "different" ideas when it comes to training.

but the reason I feel db is safer is because barbel locks you in a very specific position while you are free to move the arms in the db press. You never get the same kind of stress on the pecs.
    Most people that have torn pecs have done so when benchpressing not db pressing. Injured shoulder because of bench press is by far the most comon inury I hear about in gyms.

I agree with articles like this(link doesnt work unless you remove the added spaces).
    http://www. t - nation .com/readTopic.do?id=608547

A comprehensive description of benching technique is beyond the scope of this article, but if I had to give ten cues, they’d be 1) chest high, 2) elbows tucked, 3) scapulae retracted, 4) lower back neutral or arched, 5) feet on floor, 6) tight core (braced), 7) elbows under the bar, 8) get a lift-off, and 9) pull the bar down to you, and 10) spread the bar as you think about pressing yourself away from it (through the bench).
    There is probably a million different oppinions on this but I think no one would deny that PL style is the safest way to bench. The difference in oppinion is probably how bad is BB style benching.

But I will leave it at that.
    We all need to find out what works and aslong as we dont let our ego's take over and control the weights injuries arent that comon.

Well we all got our oppinions and mine is probably in the minority so no offence meant to anyone and I certanly take no offence either I can confess that I have "different" ideas when it comes to training.

but the reason I feel db is safer is because barbel locks you in a very specific position while you are free to move the arms in the db press. You never get the same kind of stress on the pecs.
    Most people that have torn pecs have done so when benchpressing not db pressing. Injured shoulder because of bench press is by far the most comon inury I hear about in gyms.

I agree with articles like this(link doesnt work unless you remove the added spaces).
    http://www. t - nation .com/readTopic.do?id=608547

There is probably a million different oppinions on this but I think no one would deny that PL style is the safest way to bench. The difference in oppinion is probably how bad is BB style benching.

But I will leave it at that.
    We all need to find out what works and aslong as we dont let our ego's take over and control the weights injuries arent that comon.
    This is very true.

if you're safe, that makes a whole hell alot of difference. if your elbows are out and you are throwing weight around in a fast-freaklike manner you are asking for problems. but if you are controlled and doing weight that doesn't strain your shoulders or rotators too much you are in much better shape. this discussion helps prove to all why everyone always says to perform your reps in a smooth controlled manner...because everyone trains a little differently, but everyone should be safe.

jport1540 is offline Associate Member
    Congrats bro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information