Switching to powerlifting after this show

I'll be switching over to powerlifting after my competition Saturday. I'm going to try my best to kick some serious ass this show, hopefully qualify for Nationals, but I think thats about as far as I'd like to go w/ the sport. It's been a tough realization lately, but this sport is becoming too taxing on me to keep persuing. It's more money for food, less time for my family, leaves me miserable and often exhausted at work, and leaves me broke, all the time. Drastic changes call for drastic measures, if I wanna keep getting better that means more juice, more supplements, more food, less time. I'm quite honestly burnt out w/ it. Powerlifting is becoming very appealing to me lately, it's a way to limit my training to 2-3 times/wk and still be big and strong, it'll leave me w/ more cash flow, and more time at home. Plus, w/ a couple sessions/wk w/ 20-30 min cardio and training heavier I'll be burning extra calories so maybe I could get more lenient on the diet. So my goal for 2007 is to compete in powerlifting events, keep under 220 lbs while staying leaner than what I get in the off season for bodybuilding. I'll continue to try to eat healthy for the most part and cardio is something that will always be present, because as a firefighter cardiovascular conditioning is extremely important. Bodybuilding is going to be a sad thing to walk away from, but maybe someday I will compete again. At least I'll have the size and density to where all I'll have to do is diet for 10-12 wks and hit another one. But like I said, much further down the road. In any event, I'm still out to kick ass this weekend.

Smak is offline AR's Midget Beater
    So you want to be a powerlifter with a bodybuilders physique?

Or just be strong and look fat like a powerlifter that puts up big numbers?

Which one because the second one sure as hell doesn't look appealing at all cuz!!!

I could never get into powerlifting. The sport is just not appealing IMO.

Good luck with your show!

chest6 is offline Banned
    Thats what I was thinking. It doesnt seem like u wanna be a true powerlifter. If you are a powerlifter it dont matta how u look it matters how much weight you move...

SpartanStrength is offline Associate Member
    i agree with your decision. It sounds like a really good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Thats what I was thinking. It doesnt seem like u wanna be a true powerlifter. If you are a powerlifter it dont matta how u look it matters how much weight you move...
    But he's married so I guess he really doesn't need to impress anyone.

Except himself.

I know too many fat, slobs that are powerlifters. It makes me sick.

They give the sport a bad name which is the reason I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smak

Except himself.

You still have a few powerlifters who look more like bodybuilders, not as common but their out there

PROTEINSHAKE is offline Protein Power
    SS got any pics being that your show is this weekend??? I'm sure u look awesome bro

well, this one was taken 6 days out. My camera is a 2.1 megapix piece of shit, but anyways here is one standing relaxed out on my balcony. BTW, the smokes in the background are my wifes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Switching to powerlifting after this show-6-days-out-001.jpg  

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    looking good bro... powerlifting is a great sport! It is a great way to go out and compete if that is your nature... nothing like hitting PR's in a contest, besides I think you will really enjoy it! I've been at it for about 4 1/2 years now and loving every minute of it. It can get time consuming too and expensive depending on how you approach it... if you have any questions I would be glad to help ya!!!

RJ

lookin sick bro....keep us posted & take more pics. GOOD LUCK

Quote Originally Posted by getnjakked
    lookin sick bro....keep us posted & take more pics. GOOD LUCK

Thanks man, I was almost embarassed to post that pic, the lighting and shit ass camera really make me look like i'm in alot worse shape than I really am. I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon, so I'll have the contest pics prolly up by Sunday night or Monday.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member

Except himself.

before you knock it you should try it... or consider being a bit more open minded... I understand why you feel that way... regardless though it is a great sport!

My numbers are big @ 237 and lean: best sqaut 865, bench 622, deadlift 744 and best total 2188 and I'm far from being a fat slob... so there are exceptions.

embarrassed my ass......look great bro..take pics b/c we all want to see & go WHOOP SOME ASS.

embarrassed my ass......look great bro..take pics b/c we all want to see & go WHOOP SOME ASS.

I'm a bit dissatisfied w/ my condition today. I started my carb up late Tues(250grams), and yesterday it was 500 grams of carbs. I started looking alot fuller, but a little definition went away and my veins went down a bit. I'm hoping it's just because of the shock of taking my carbs up 300 grams more in one day yesterday. Today they are back down to 350 grams, and tomorrow will be 250 grams, so I'm hoping it's just a timing thing. This is MikeXXl's sticky, I utilized it last year and it worked well, but I started aldactones Monday night last year which is probably why I didnt have this happen to me, but I was also a little too flat. I'm hoping this year I'm right on time. My weight as of late this afternoon is 208, I jumped up a good 5 lbs from the carb load yesterday, I'm praying that after slightly lower carbs today, and even lower tomorrow, that maybe with a Dyazide or two tomm. plus the water drop I can step on the scale at 198 Sat morning. It's going to be so ****ing close, I hate fighting to shed the damn weight off when its this close. But I'll be nasty in the light heavies, I've come down from 250lbs

damn bro....sounds like you know what to do & are ready to get yours. we all know mikeXXL knows his shit..... I think you will be right on man..

damn bro....sounds like you know what to do & are ready to get yours. we all know mikeXXL knows his shit..... I think you will be right on man..

Yeah, his approach is very fundamental and fail proof. Thats why I'm hoping that backing down to 350 grams of carbs today, then 250 grams tomorrow, yields some damn good results by Sat morning. I'll probably have a few candy bars and a doghnut or two Sat morning right after weigh ins.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Damnbro, 52 lbs! Serious work and dedication, that it is.
    Hey, look at Marizus Pudjanowski. If I could ever eat and train like he does, I'd be happy with those looks. Visible abs and strong as an ox. Not to shabby. Good luck this weekend and good luck with your plan for next year.

Mike_Huck is offline Banned
    So you want to be a powerlifter with a bodybuilders physique?

Or just be strong and look fat like a powerlifter that puts up big numbers?

Which one because the second one sure as hell doesn't look appealing at all cuz!!!

I could never get into powerlifting. The sport is just not appealing IMO.

Good luck with your show!
    You sure they all look fat, i tend to disagree.

Mariusz Pudzianowski

I will be inquiring with you,mikexxl & a few others come next year..I am planning to do a show myself. I'll be 36 & it will be my first.going to do it w my younger brother who is 26 & he's done one already. You look awesome bro....I am hopeful to look remotely close to you next yr...i will be middleweight though. LOOKING awesome...good luck & take lots of pics..KICK ASS....

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    one thing is for sure. Training as a powerlifter is 10000000000 times as much fun as training as a bodyuilder

Nothing beats hitting pr's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Huck
    You sure they all look fat, i tend to disagree.

Mariusz Pudzianowski

See, now I'd have no quams w/ looking like that most of the time. Hell, even if you did choose to do another bodybuilding competition down the road, all you'd have to do is diet for 12 wks and you'd be bigger and thicker than before, shredded!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    well everyone except super heavyweights have to make sure they dont get to heavy. A light or medium weight powerlifter beeing fat would just hurt his chanses of winning.

The big fat powerlifter stereotype is probably as wrong as the zitty agressive bodybuilder stereotype.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    do be powerlifter isnt more money for food?

Quote Originally Posted by collar
    do be powerlifter isnt more money for food?

No, I doubt it because I'll have a little more leaniency in the diet due to burning off more calories during gym time through heavier lifts. I can eat more pasta, hamburger meat, and a few more cheats/wk. It's not going to take $90 a week just in chicken breasts to get big. I'm pretty motivated about it, it'll just be something different you know? And despite what many people think, there are plenty of really good bodybuilders who switch to powerlifting in their off season. Ronnie Coleman started as a powerlifter, so did Branch Warren, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Franco Columbo, etc etc.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    need and help, just ask me. i stay somewhat ripped as a powerlifter, we all arent big fat slobs, and some of look better than a good portion of amateur BBers.

manc is offline Member
    good decision..
    all the best for the show mate

Mariusz is more of a "Strongman Competitor"

I consider them a mix of bodybuilding/powerlifting.

Most powerlifters I know are either fat and out of shape or fairly small.

That doesn't mean they can put up big numbers.

I just don't find it appealing IMO. That's all. Carry on...

Mariusz is more of a "Strongman Competitor"

I consider them a mix of bodybuilding/powerlifting.

Most powerlifters I know are either fat and out of shape or fairly small.

That doesn't mean they can put up big numbers.

I just don't find it appealing IMO. That's all. Carry on...
    your just jealous that they carry all that sexy bulk with pride in there eyes

Thread Information