Talk about getting owned...

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...C7%7D&keyword=

Rep. Mark Foley, a six-term Florida Republican, resigned from Congress and apologized to constituents Friday after questions arose regarding e-mail and other electronic exchanges with former Capitol pages under the age of eighteen.

"I thank the people of Florida's 16th congressional district for giving me the opportunity to serve them for the last twelve years; it has been an honor. I am deeply sorry and I apologize for letting down my family and the people of Florida I have had the privilege to represent," Foley said, in a brief written statement that gave no reason for his decision to resign.

ABC News on Friday said that earlier in the day it had read to Foley excerpts of instant messages provided by former male pages who said the congressman made repeated references to sexual organs and acts.

Campaign aides had previously acknowledged that Foley e-mailed a former Capitol page five times, but had said there was nothing inappropriate about the exchange, the Associated Press reported. The page, who was 16 at the time of the e-mail exchange, had told a congressional staffer that an e-mail from Foley requesting a picture had "freaked me out," ABC News reported Thursday

With Republicans worried about maintaining their House majority, Foley, 52, had been seen as likely to be re-elected to a seventh term this fall. Democrats need to make a net gain of 15 seats this fall to gain a majority in the House of Representatives.

The Associated Press said Florida Republicans planned to meet as soon as Monday to name a candidate to replace Foley. Foley had won re-election in 2004 with 68% of the vote. Reuters reported that Democratic and Republican lawyers were examining state election laws to determine whether or not Foley's name can be removed from the ballot.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., had little to say about the news. Appearing on Fox News Channel, Hastert said he hadn't talked to Foley, but that the congressman "did the right thing" in choosing to resign.

Foley was the chairman of the House caucus on missing and exploited children and had authored legislative language signed into law by President Bush this year designed to crack down on sexual predators