stunner5000pt is offline Anabolic Member

FIRED from my job

Definition of a Barback - a person who maintains stocks of beer, glassware and ice at a single bar. It is generally not a good thing to run out any of the above. Also to help the bartender take care of the bartop, clear it out, collect the change on the bartop. On a dead night (like last night) you dont do that because the bartenders can do it herself without slowing her down. At the end of the night the bartender is obligated to pay you 1.5% of their gross earnings, but some are generous if you have done a good job and will pay you a bit more. Certain bartenders expect you to work hard for the exact 1.5% and that is what pisses a lot of us off especially when they get cocky about it.

Now that we defined that let's begin

The night

Last night while we were waiting for our money i fell asleep. When the manager brought us our money my friends (coworkers) woek me up by yelling and throwing paper at me. I woke up in daze, my eyes a bit itchy. I looked at my manager and he told me that the main manager, lets call him Garry, wanted to speak to me. I followed me to the office and he asked me to take a seat. He also told me to close the door. There i sat with the two managers in tyhe room. The main manager made me wait for a bit until he spoke. He printed something out and had a sip of his beer. This is what he said to me,

"During these recent times you have changed drastically from when you first joined (nearly 3 years ago). I have nothing against you. In fact if any other employee had had to come to my office so many times i wouldnt give them these many chances. I have heard too many reports from too many people about the way you treat them. Also today you ran out of alexander keiths (a brand of beer) and red bull"
    I interjected, "there were red bull left when i got there"
    He replied, "no there were none left. I had to specifically come to that bar and void the sale because the bar was out of those two items.
    I dont know if you hate me or something, i dont care, but i need you to change the way you behave. Im giving you two choices - i give you 4 weeks off and at the end of those 4 weeks you can call me back and i will take you back but you will have to change the way you behave drastically. The other option is for me to fire you, which i really dont want to do. In the past i have suspended people liek this but that was over people not doing their job. But ou have to start people with the respect they deserve."

In defense, i said "well whatever i did was in the name of fun and it wa all a joke i never meant to offend anyone"
    Waving his hands in the air he said "dont care".

I stood up and left the room and i told my friends of what had just happened. I made this decision - i am not going back.

Events possibly leading to such a situation
    When i first joined this job i was in love with the job. I worked hard and people liked that. But as they say all good things must come to an end and they did. Certain promotions that were supposed to come my way were denied because of bartenders not approving of my ability and my attitude - i simply refuse to be slave, i talk back and i tell them to do it themselves if it doesnt inhibit their ability to work. After i ahd been demote d not once but twice becuase of this i took the devil-may-care approach and started to voice my opniions with certain individuals who pissed me off. I also irked one of the main manger;s favourite employee yesterday by calling her cheap with her tip outs. Lately i also resorted to flipping certain dividuals off... but always with a big smile on my face thats because i was never ever serious about it.

i think that is the straw which broke the donkey's back in this case. A well as these two cases.
    ALMOST LOST MY JOB! Online Dating Part II
    Am i going insane?

In the end i am happy for leaving a job that only made me feel worse about my work ability. But i am also sad that i have to leave the place where i met some of my closest friends.

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    LOL well i never saw this coming!!!

Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    LOL well i never saw this coming!!!
    you sarcastic bastard

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    I am a doorman/barback and these jobs definately make you feel like a slave/B1tch sometimes. It gets old. THe bartenders think they are your superiors sometimes which is not the case. mY manager wont let me bartend b/c she says I'm too big and get in the way....Well then how do I not getin the way behind the bar when I am back there barbacking??!?!? Stupid Biatch. I feel your pain, although it does sound like you should have handled things a little differently.

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    sounds like you should become a subsitute teacher.

Superhuman is offline Banned
    wow you were a barback for 3 years and you didn't become a bartender???? that sucks man.

big L 17 is offline Female Member
    that sucks well did u get paid before u left

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Myka
    sounds like you should become a subsitute teacher.
    Name change??

captainfalcon is offline New Member
    anymore you have to watch what you say and do to people. especially in the workplace.

LBT
    LBT is offline Associate Member
    One door closes, another opens. Don't look back.

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    we have a different layout of jobs here in UK. The doorman/security is highest, then bar manager, then bar staff and lastly we have glass collectors. The glass collectors get very little money and are usually alcoholics trying to earn some drink money or they are actually retarded. One guy in my town glass collects in different venues all week but he doesnt get paid. He just drinks all the dregs from the glasses he collects. Yummy!

big L 17 is offline Female Member
    we have a different layout of jobs here in UK. The doorman/security is highest, then bar manager, then bar staff and lastly we have glass collectors. The glass collectors get very little money and are usually alcoholics trying to earn some drink money or they are actually retarded. One guy in my town glass collects in different venues all week but he doesnt get paid. He just drinks all the dregs from the glasses he collects. Yummy!

thats some funny shit

Quote Originally Posted by Superhuman
    wow you were a barback for 3 years and you didn't become a bartender???? that sucks man.
    only TWO people i know ever actaully climbed the aldder from busboy, barback and eventually bartender. In my club one of my coworkers was on the brink of turning into a bartender but instead the main amnager hired a bunch of retarded girls - they dont look good nor are they fast

its a pity

Quote Originally Posted by spound
    I am a doorman/barback and these jobs definately make you feel like a slave/B1tch sometimes. It gets old. THe bartenders think they are your superiors sometimes which is not the case. mY manager wont let me bartend b/c she says I'm too big and get in the way....Well then how do I not getin the way behind the bar when I am back there barbacking??!?!? Stupid Biatch. I feel your pain, although it does sound like you should have handled things a little differently.
    ill admit it that my way must far more drastic but at least i went out with a bang

i told everyone how i felt about them

and those who had it coming got it

self destructive attitude...

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Fact is men do not buy the amount of drinks they will from hot chicka. I have quite a few friends who bartend.. all female and all good looking

Quote Originally Posted by Mizfit
    Fact is men do not buy the amount of drinks they will from hot chicka. I have quite a few friends who bartend.. all female and all good looking
    not completely true actually

in the centrally located bar- the busiest one - there are 2 guys and 2 girls - none of the girls are hot... even in teh dark... but they are very fast as are the guys

when im at a bar i'd rather be served my drink fast rather than be served by some hot girl... but thats robably because iactually owrk at a bar and appreciate hard work...

beuleux is offline Banned
    Hey sounds good... can you get me an application form

the best bartender in the club I work at is a dude... he makes good drinks, he's very fast... he flirts with all the girls and cool with all the guys. he's like a celebrity haha

Quote Originally Posted by Superhuman
    the best bartender in the club I work at is a dude... he makes good drinks, he's very fast... he flirts with all the girls and cool with all the guys. he's like a celebrity haha
    if he's fast and cool ill tip him more than i would some blonde iwth big tits who cant open a bottl without putting on the bar because shes stoopid

gymnutt is offline Associate Member
    It sounds like "Gary" still wants to give you a shot. I worked my way from the door to the bar and can honestly say I got noticed most working as a barback by busting my ass every night. It opened a lot of doors for me. I haven't worked in a bar in quite a while, but sure have a lot of good memories of my time there. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by gymnutt
    It sounds like "Gary" still wants to give you a shot. I worked my way from the door to the bar and can honestly say I got noticed most working as a barback by busting my ass every night. It opened a lot of doors for me. I haven't worked in a bar in quite a while, but sure have a lot of good memories of my time there. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    he said that i wiuld never be barback again... too many times he's given me chances and ive let him down... who knows what he s talking about

i m not going back i dont want the chance again

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    I have male bartenders and female bartenders working for me. Definitely the females bring in more business and can work the customers.

dbl post

Quote Originally Posted by ginkobulloba
    I have male bartenders and female bartenders working for me. Definitely the females bring in more business and can work the customers.
    in general

females for attracting business

males for actually doing the work

but one bar shouldnt have 2 women

Quote Originally Posted by stunner5000pt
    if he's fast and cool ill tip him more than i would some blonde iwth big tits who cant open a bottl without putting on the bar because shes stoopid
    exactly... we have like 6 female bartenders and 1 male. More people come to see him than anybody else. He also makes more tips. The females ARE hot though!

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, kinda saw this happening...

Maybe you should look into owning your own buisness?

Quote Originally Posted by stunner5000pt
    in general

females for attracting business

males for actually doing the work

but one bar shouldnt have 2 women
    Well, I disagree with that statement about not having two women. Where I live, people come to bars because of the women who work there. A guy behind the bar may be a better worker, but he's not making you a whole lot of money either.

I_AM_HE is offline Banned
    Ax Tanned Barback

Thread Information