Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED

Wink Swedish study links steroid use to crimes, fraud

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061107/hl_nm/steroids_dc

Using anabolic steroids is linked to antisocial behavior such as illegal weapon possession and fraud, according a Swedish study published on Monday that provided a fresh warning about the dangers of the muscle-building drugs.

But the researchers said they were somewhat surprised to find that steroid users were no more likely than nonusers to commit violent crimes such as murder and assault. Sexual offenses such as rape and property crimes also were not linked to steroid use , they found.

The researchers examined the relationship between steroids -- already associated with increased aggressiveness and impulsive violent outbursts sometimes dubbed "roid rage " -- and criminal behavior. They looked at people using steroids without a doctor's prescription.

"Our findings indicate that the use of (anabolic steroids ) is associated not only with impulsive antisocial behavior but also with an antisocial lifestyle involving various types of criminality," some requiring advance planning, the researchers led by Dr. Fia Klotz of Uppsala University in Sweden wrote.

The study appears in the journal Archives of General Psychiatry.

Among 241 Swedes who came up positive for steroid use out of a sample of 1,440 tested for the drugs from 1995 and 2001 at a laboratory in Huddinge, Sweden, the study found a strong connection to some criminal acts but not others.

The steroid users were roughly twice as likely to have been found guilty of a weapons crime and 1-1/2 times as likely to have been found guilty of fraud.

Anabolic steroids are drugs related to male sex hormones and can be taken through injections or orally. Many athletes, bodybuilders and others, both male and female, use steroids without a prescription to build muscle bulk and strength to look better.

SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS

Steroids can lead to serious side effects, including liver cancer, kidney disease and bad acne.

For men, steroids can shrink testicles, lower sperm count, raise prostate cancer risk and cause infertility and baldness. For women, they can cause facial hair growth, male-pattern baldness, menstrual problems and a deeper voice. They can stunt the growth of adolescents.

Researchers also have seen among steroid abusers extreme mood swings, impulsiveness, depression, paranoid jealousy, extreme irritability, delusions and impaired judgment.

The people in the Swedish study, whose average age was 20, were referred to the laboratory for drug testing by police, customs agents, substance abuse clinics and psychiatric facilities. Only three of the 214 steroid users were women.

As for the statistical association between steroid use and convictions for weapons offenses, the researchers wrote that people committing armed robberies or collecting crime-related debts might feel the need to be more muscular or heavier.

When the researchers excluded steroid users who had been referred for testing by a substance abuse clinic, the statistical link between steroids and fraud disappeared. The researchers wrote that this suggested steroids combined with other drugs might make a person more prone to commit fraud.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

FranKieC is offline "AR's Pretty Boy"
    Blah! lol

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    I think they got this the wrong way round. I would say criminals are attracted to AS rather than AS use causes criminality.

Phreak101 is offline Anabolic Member

Swedish study links steroid use to crime, fraud

THX A LOT JOHAN!

By Will Dunham
    Tue Nov 7, 10:54 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Using anabolic steroids is linked to antisocial behavior such as illegal weapon possession and fraud, according a Swedish study published on Monday that provided a fresh warning about the dangers of the muscle-building drugs.

But the researchers said they were somewhat surprised to find that steroid users were no more likely than nonusers to commit violent crimes such as murder and assault. Sexual offenses such as rape and property crimes also were not linked to steroid use , they found.

The researchers examined the relationship between steroids -- already associated with increased aggressiveness and impulsive violent outbursts sometimes dubbed "roid rage " -- and criminal behavior. They looked at people using steroids without a doctor's prescription.

"Our findings indicate that the use of (anabolic steroids ) is associated not only with impulsive antisocial behavior but also with an antisocial lifestyle involving various types of criminality," some requiring advance planning, the researchers led by Dr. Fia Klotz of Uppsala University in Sweden wrote.

The study appears in the journal Archives of General Psychiatry.

Among 241 Swedes who came up positive for steroid use out of a sample of 1,440 tested for the drugs from 1995 and 2001 at a laboratory in Huddinge, Sweden, the study found a strong connection to some criminal acts but not others.

The steroid users were roughly twice as likely to have been found guilty of a weapons crime and 1-1/2 times as likely to have been found guilty of fraud.

Anabolic steroids are drugs related to male sex hormones and can be taken through injections or orally. Many athletes, bodybuilders and others, both male and female, use steroids without a prescription to build muscle bulk and strength to look better.

SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS

Steroids can lead to serious side effects, including liver cancer, kidney disease and bad acne.

For men, steroids can shrink testicles, lower sperm count, raise prostate cancer risk and cause infertility and baldness. For women, they can cause facial hair growth, male-pattern baldness, menstrual problems and a deeper voice. They can stunt the growth of adolescents.

Researchers also have seen among steroid abusers extreme mood swings, impulsiveness, depression, paranoid jealousy, extreme irritability, delusions and impaired judgment.

The people in the Swedish study, whose average age was 20, were referred to the laboratory for drug testing by police, customs agents, substance abuse clinics and psychiatric facilities. Only three of the 214 steroid users were women.

As for the statistical association between steroid use and convictions for weapons offenses, the researchers wrote that people committing armed robberies or collecting crime-related debts might feel the need to be more muscular or heavier.

When the researchers excluded steroid users who had been referred for testing by a substance abuse clinic, the statistical link between steroids and fraud disappeared. The researchers wrote that this suggested steroids combined with other drugs might make a person more prone to commit fraud.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Finaly proof that roid rage is a ****ing myth.

But the researchers said they were somewhat surprised to find that steroid users were no more likely than nonusers to commit violent crimes such as murder and assault. Sexual offenses such as rape and property crimes also were not linked to steroid use, they found.

That study makes all the wrong conclusions. Offcourse there will be more steroid users among criminals. Not because steroids make people into criminals but because criminals have acess to steroids duh.

I hope the article has twisted the study and that the researchers are not that stupid.

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Well you cant expect much from those crazy swedes

Quote Originally Posted by roidattack
    Well you cant expect much from those crazy swedes
    Damn blond handsom bastards. They are just to damn sexy!

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    Damn blond handsom bastards. They are just to damn sexy!

quit Im getting excited

Quote Originally Posted by roidattack

quit Im getting excited
    Ohh I know you are you old pervert. I bet you have saved that ass shot I posted a long time ago to beat bouncers

MAXIMA5 is offline Anabolic Member
    The study also showed that people who ride motorcycles are more likely to die in a motorcycle accident than those who drive cars.

What twisted logic.
    I wonder who is more likely to commit fraud or be convicted of a violent crime; Miller drinkers or Busweiser drinkers

Finaly proof that roid rage is a ****ing myth.

That study makes all the wrong conclusions. Offcourse there will be more steroid users among criminals. Not because steroids make people into criminals but because criminals have acess to steroids duh.

I hope the article has twisted the study and that the researchers are not that stupid.
    Technically, 100% of American Steroid users are criminals. Steroids are illegal.

Phreak101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMA5
    Technically, 100% of American Steroid users are criminals. Steroids are illegal.
    Good point, damn us criminals! It's a good thing they are arresting steroid users, I'd hate for that rapist who lives down the street from me to get caught, because he obviously is not as bad as those damn steroid users.

Ufa
    Ufa is offline Anabolic Member
    There just do dam smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak101
    Good point, damn us criminals! It's a good thing they are arresting steroid users, I'd hate for that rapist who lives down the street from me to get caught, because he obviously is not as bad as those damn steroid users.
    You've really got to look out for those guys who have families, jobs, and like to work out and imporove their physiques. They're the worst type of criminal.
    I hear they also refuse to patronize fast food establishments and support out economy. BAstards.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    That was a good read.

Blog Entries
    Steroids can lead to serious side effects, including liver cancer, kidney disease
    Wow another study that states you can get live damage and cancer. I guess they must all be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxxr
    Wow another study that states you can get live damage and cancer. I guess they must all be wrong.
    You can also get cancer from eating 3 lbs of artificial sweetener every day for 8 straight years.
    Most of these studies are based on constant prolonged use at high doses.

Fortunately, we're all smart enough to run controlled cycles for short durations with proper PCT and bloodwork.

Maybe I just tell myself this so I feel better about it. Oh well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMA5
    You can also get cancer from eating 3 lbs of artificial sweetener every day for 8 straight years.
    Most of these studies are based on constant prolonged use at high doses.

Fortunately, we're all smart enough to run controlled cycles for short durations with proper PCT and bloodwork.
    True.

Most important.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxxr
    Since this study was by psychiatrists I dont think they even examined that. It was probably just the news writter that added that to this article as general info.

Blog Entries
    Since this study was by psychiatrists I dont think they even examined that. It was probably just the news writter that added that to this article as general info.
    Probably just a standard thing that put in all steroid articles.

Already posted. I'll merge.

The OutLord is offline Member
    Swedich Laws agens steroid Us is TOTAL Stupid!!!

I go to the dokter now and show that i am clean in blood and Urin Test and i dont know when thay call me becouas if i say no! thay fu*kers take my drive licens....

Sweden is tha land of the Law`s of tha law`s..

Sweden is not a paradice as many beliv in the world out ther..!!

I am from sweden!!

Thread Information