ToTheBuckeT21 is offline Senior Member

Rebuilt car titles: goods and bads

Anyone ever own a car with a rebuilt title on it? Would you do it again? Sure you save a ton of $ when you buy it but is it worth it? I've been looking at getting a Mercedes for a few months now just waiting for the right one to pop up. I'm in school so I don't want a huge payment so i've been looking for something like a 1999 or newer for under $15,000. I found this amazing 99 clk 430! and its sooo cheap. But it does have a rebuilt title. Its super clean and i'm gonna ask the guy if there was any frame damage, what was repaired, if the tires wear evenly, why hes selling it etc... But i just want some opinions.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    Bad that means the car was totaled and wes rebuilt. Or it could have been a flood car.

In any case it had a salvage title that was fliped after it was inspection when repairs were done.

crash187ct is offline Senior Member
    depends on who rebuilt it. generally....no i wouldn't. i did buy one once, from a friend...his dad rebuilt cars all the time. the truck sucked.

ToTheBuckeT21 is offline Senior Member
    Already checked and i can insure it.. work was pro done. the air bags didn't even go off in the accident. Its a 99 merc clk430 has 80k miles on it and the accident happen 2 years ago and 15k miles have been put on since then. I Can pick it up for prob under $10k.. And i mean it looks AMAZING! He has papers showing it passes inspection and everything. I really just wanna check the frame for damage and see if the tires are wearing evenly.. I think if thats all in check i'm good to go

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTheBuckeT21
    Already checked and i can insure it.. work was pro done. the air bags didn't even go off in the accident. Its a 99 merc clk430 has 80k miles on it and the accident happen 2 years ago and 15k miles have been put on since then. I Can pick it up for prob under $10k.. And i mean it looks AMAZING! He has papers showing it passes inspection and everything. I really just wanna check the frame for damage and see if the tires are wearing evenly.. I think if thats all in check i'm good to go
    Just remember too. A clk 430 isn't a cheap car for the insurance company to total out. There had to be something major. The car had a lot of damage. Remember the person telling you all this great stuff about the car is trying to sell it to you. He is going to tell you what you want to hear and you are swallowing everything up.

boarder034 is offline Member
    Just remember anythign you do to a mercediez is custom. My buddy dropped 600 bucks, just puttin a standard head unit it because of all the hookups and different things benz charges you

crash187ct is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    Just remember too. A clk 430 isn't a cheap car for the insurance company to total out. There had to be something major. The car had a lot of damage. Remember the person telling you all this great stuff about the car is trying to sell it to you. He is going to tell you what you want to hear and you are swallowing everything up.

exactly, he wants to sell a car. car dealers never sell bad cars and they always have the greatest deals....which have you saving thousands.

save thousands by not buying a car on impulse and be selective...or not buying one to begin with...

notorious_mem is offline Senior Member
    as long as its not flood damage and its pro done thats how my inlaws and i buy our vehicles.

StevePJC is offline Member
    It's not so much as WHAT was repaired but WHO repaired it. If some Jo Bob under the shade tree rebuilt it I would stay far away. If a reputable outfit did it, I would probably take the chance. I had a salvaged 02 Dodge Ram 2500. Loaded truck, bought in 2003 for $7500. Had 4k miles on it and I drive it to this day. Took a chance and it paid off. Yeah it's an older truck NOW but when I got it, hells bells I was rollin, fat wallet redneck style.

I'll shut up now.

Thread Information