Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    ^^ I think you answered my question

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by newbrew
    Stand on a tredmill with some rollerblades on. Tie a rope to the handle bar of the tredmill and hold onto it. Turn the tredmill up to 5mph. How much force/strength does it take to not move? Notice next to nothing. Now turn it up to 10mph, notice it requires the same force/strength? Heck, turn it up to 100mph, ill bet it still requires the same strength. While that tredmill is taching along at 100mph, see how much effort it takes to pull yourself forward. Ill bet an infant has enough strength to do it.

The pulling on the rope to move yourself forward on the tredmil is similar to the thrust of an airplane. Even if the speed of the tredmill is continuing to increase in speed, youll still be able to pull yourself forward.

Once you can grasp that concept, it makes a whole lot of sense.
    holy f**king shit this just made sense.
    you are right, i was wrong, but that was a damn good question.
    i never thought about it that way, the idea that it takes no effort to move forward because the wheels arent fixed.

im gonna get all my friends with this shit.

newbrew is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69
    holy f**king shit this just made sense.
    you are right, i was wrong, but that was a damn good question.
    i never thought about it that way, the idea that it takes no effort to move forward because the wheels arent fixed.

im gonna get all my friends with this shit.
    yep. even though I knew the answer, I was only now really able to wrap my brain around it with that example. Another good example, and something that anyone can do if they have a treadmill and something with wheels:

get a skateboard and put it on a treadmill. start pushing that skateboard forward at 1mph. no matter how fast you get that treadmill going, notice it takes the same force to have that skateboard continue in a forward motion?

You could push that skateboard at 1mph, with the treadmill off (treadmill at 0mph), then turn that treadmill up to 10mph. Your skateboard is still going to travel forward at 1mph with the treadmill going 10mph, even though youre exerting the same force.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information