Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Does that involve some manner of alcohol?
    nah. It involves ALL manners of alcohol.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    ^^

Sounds good to me.

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    i feel ya Nark.
    Had 3 seperate ligament tears and surgerys over my lifetime. Stupid strpid shit. Nvr get hurt squatting 500, or playing football, always some weird. Sorry to hear bro.

Beefkake31 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullsmasher
    Hope you have fun with the pain meds then

They keep me up even more when I take em. I feel so good don't wanna go to sleep lol. Sucks the only thing I could ever really see myself getting addicted to.
    Yup, you don't even know. Fcuking Vicodin, and I know exactly what you mean about taking pain meds and being more awake and feeling great, a lot of people aren't like that, we however, are the lucky/unlucky ones. We can get addicted to it very easily, so be cautious please.

ectomorph28 is offline Associate Member
    Hey man, sorry to hear about that.

I dislocated my patella five years ago playing hockey and they had to rush me straight to the hospital to pop my knee back in place. My knee was to the side. It was the nastiest thing ive ever seen. Luckily, I didnt tear any ligaments, they were only stretched. Since than my knee occasionally pops out and in and it scares the living shit out of me. LOL. Since ive began weight lifting ive really focused on strengthening my legs. And ive noticed improvement.

But yeah it always sucks to have setbacks. Right now ive been battling a shoulder injury I sustained about four years ago and its yet to heal. Ive seen the doctor, been to physiotherapists and they were unable to heal my shoulder. So last year I just said **** it and ive been battling through it. But I think im just going to check my ego at the door and get my shoulder fixed through surgery.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Bump, how'd things go with the doc Nark?

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefkake31
    Yup, you don't even know. Fcuking Vicodin, and I know exactly what you mean about taking pain meds and being more awake and feeling great, a lot of people aren't like that, we however, are the lucky/unlucky ones. We can get addicted to it very easily, so be cautious please.

yea I can see it at least so I try to limit it. I am off them right now and dont plan on going back on unless I become injured randomly. My shots were ****ing me up before but I aint even ****in with my other shit til I get some EO in it and more BA.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Damn!

It seems shit like that happens doing little things like you said, you went through all that other activity and did something little and POW, blew your knee out.
    ***No source checks!!!***

cj1capp is offline Anabolic Member
    nark i hope things are well , that is the doc had good news for you. if you haven't read up on this type of injury i found this and learned a little from it.
    http://www.athleticadvisor.com/Injur...slocations.htm

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/pate...ecapdisloc.htm

hopefully the sites are correct and you dont need surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac
    Bump, how'd things go with the doc Nark?
    Got is examined and X-rayed.

He says i'll need a cast from hip to ankle..and imma get it put on monday morning.

He didn't prescribe any pain meds... so i'm still not on anything.

I just upped my vitamin c intake.. my water intake..and my protease intake.

That's about it for now.

-N

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED

He says i'll need a cast from hip to ankle..and imma get it put on monday morning.
    Damn. Sorry to hear man.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    Ironic how simply things happen.

Yesterday i skipped the gym..and went to the beach.

There i played American Football for a couple hours... swam for about an hour..and sparred (Mixed styles: street) for about 1/2 hour.

During Football i blocked and tackled alot... A lot of flying tackles and full contact blows... I walk away from it, probably the only of my bros who didn't get hurt yesterday.

The other team drafted some HUGE off-duty life-guards onto their team because we were kicking their asses. One of the guys was like 250, really fast...and hella strong. I think still have some sand between my teeth from the number of times he knocked me face flat.

Anyway..no injuries.

On to swimming.

Swimming normally leaves my joints feeling like shit.. because (i think),
    weightlessness causes fluid to pool in my joints..which makes 'em ache. Yesterday..nothing.

On to sparring.

Sparred with this guy.. a black belt. He was like 25-30% lighter than myself..so i didn't 'strike' him. He's a friend of mine...and i know he couldn't take any blow from me which connected..without injury. It was open palm sparring. I mostly blocked his blows when he got in close...deflected and grappled. Because i deemed that safer for him. No injury.

When i was done all this.. I walk away from my last take down leaving him on the ground. Backing him i took stance, and let loose an arc kick..just a practise kick (i use these and front splits to stretch the groin/ham area) ... When my leg was at full extension, my supporting leg buckled. It was a loud crunching noise...and i ended up on the floor.

My knee cap on the planted foot had dislocated completely. It was sitting on outside of my lef knee (left side). It felt like if i had been hit by a baseball bat. It didn't feel like it 'just slipped'. It felt like if it had been forced out. I was laying on the sand...and i had to sit up and jam it back in..and watch it swell.

I've gotta see a sports doc on Saturday. Can't get to one before then.

Hope it doesn't come to surgery.

But I don't get it though.

Yea.. i know: I'm at 200 lbs @ 5'6" so i know that it was a lot of weight on a quasi-vulnerable area.

What i don't get is...how could it not have happened during football... or
    sparring.. but after.. by myself?

During the 'fight' i used the reverse arc and axe fairly regularly.

Bleh

Can't walk. Can't roll. Showering was a bitch! And dressing even harder..cus i can't bend the knee at all.

I used some pain meds last night... only because one of my bros who was there advised it. I haven't used any since..because i don't use pain meds or anti-biotics.

I can't say i'm not tempted to down a handfull of whatever i find tho lol.
    Anyway.. If y'all don't see me around that's why.

It took me 15 minutes to get to this pc.. and about 5 minutes to lower myself into this chair. Since i've been sitting i've lost circulation.. so i'm thinking sitting is out.

Back to bed.

-Nark
    That really sucks! If it helps any I know how you feel. I once fell on my knee against concrete, and pushed my knee cap in toward the joint. Something happened, and I ended up with a torn meniscus. I walked on it the rest of the day cause it hurt, but i wasn't going to let that stop me. My knee swelled up SO bad, and HURT SO MUCH that night, I could even sleep!

Anyhoo here I am today, never had surgery because I figure all they'll do is just cut a bunch of cartilage out, and i'll have less in there.. hoever i'll have less debrise and pain.
    I'm starting to notice a pain more and more recently due to my running before gym.

I'm thinking of having surgery on it after the summer, and see if it can't be repaired. I found out a guy in one of my classes had cartillage from a cadaver put in his knee, and it was repaired...
    I'm just all bodies out right now... I've been seeing cadavers all damn week. heh.

So, I KNOW what you're goin through!
    When having a splint or cast on your knee, it's hard to put pants on lol.

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    Doesn't GH or deca have an effect on joints?

I'm curious about that. Maybe my doc will give me something to help with recovery. My doctors in the past have all been really awesome. woooh!

Columbus is offline Anabolic Member

He didn't prescribe any pain meds... so i'm still not on anything.

I just upped my vitamin c intake.. my water intake..and my protease intake.

That's about it for now.

-N
    Screw the pain meds....they make you sick.........give you a nice buzz for an hour, then it wears off and you are left feeling like shit

Although my buddy used to train with nubain, said it was his lifesavor.......ever known anyone to use it? I'm not even sure what it is, how it works etc....maybe more do.

shrpskn is offline Anabolic Member
    ^^Lets not even get into the discussion of the mentioned drug in your post...it is a powerful and highly addictive injectable pain killer.
    Stay away from it.

Nark, I am sad to hear that are going to be casted from the hip down...that doesn't sound good at all. Is the ortho going to run further diagnostics on the injury such as an MRI scan. They may need to do so to rule out any tendon or cartilage damage.

Godspeed to you and your recovery,

Quote Originally Posted by shrpskn
    Nark, I am sad to hear that are going to be casted from the hip down...that doesn't sound good at all. Is the ortho going to run further diagnostics on the injury such as an MRI scan. They may need to do so to rule out any tendon or cartilage damage.

Godspeed to you and your recovery,
    Thanks.

I'm not sure he's going to do a MRI.

His physical exam didn't uncover anything 'suspicious'..in his opinion

He noted that i'd have to strengthen the lateral quad (i believe that's the term he used)

He was checking for pain in specific spots...moving my extended leg gently in a lateral movement (as opposed to up and down).

The pain responses as noted were 'standard' he said...

I gave him a pretty descriptive account of the situation, and the sounds heard during the incident..specific areas that exeperienced swelling and loss of ROM etc. This seemed to satisfy him.. His exam was brief and thorough imo.

We'll see what the X-rays show in the morning.

-N

Thanks.

I'm not sure he's going to do a MRI.

His physical exam didn't uncover anything 'suspicious'..in his opinion

He noted that i'd have to strengthen the lateral quad (i believe that's the term he used)

He was checking for pain in specific spots...moving my extended leg gently in a lateral movement (as opposed to up and down).

The pain responses as noted were 'standard' he said...

I gave him a pretty descriptive account of the situation, and the sounds heard during the incident..specific areas that exeperienced swelling and loss of ROM etc. This seemed to satisfy him.. His exam was brief and thorough imo.

We'll see what the X-rays show in the morning.

-N
    Oh, I didn't know that the x-rays weren't examined already...usually those are readily available after the exposures have been taken...

It sounds like something more than the ordinary if the doc is going to cast your leg from the hip down. That sounds serious to me.

Hopefully all you're experiencing is just a strain, which as you already know, only time will heal.

Good luck,

Oh, I didn't know that the x-rays weren't examined already...usually those are readily available after the exposures have been taken...
    He told me that the X-rays were taken solely to establish whether i had patella damage.

When i got to the office i had my knee braced and immobilised pre-emptively.. I guess this satisfied him.

So i'm guessing he wanted to fully immobilise it after some of the swelling subsided?

I'm not sure... He really didn't tell me much.. and truthfully i wa just glad to be out of the office. I have this dislike of doctor's offices and police stations.

It sounds like something more than the ordinary if the doc is going to cast your leg from the hip down. That sounds serious to me.
    I hope not... But we'll see.

Hopefully all you're experiencing is just a strain, which as you already know, only time will heal.

Good luck,
    Thanks.

-N

cj1capp is offline Anabolic Member
    I hope things are good by you. Double check with your Doc the ankle to hip cast seems like a lot , if i understand what you have bracing or taping are the common modes of treatment in the US. I pulled this from the web hope it helps.

What else may be causing kneecap pain?
    The most common cause of kneecap pain is chondromalacia, or an irritation of the cartilage on the undersurface of the kneecap. Patellar subluxation and chondromalacia can go hand in hand, but they should be considered separate entities. That said, if chondromalacia is being caused by subluxation, then the instability of the kneecap must be addressed for treatment to be successful. Other causes of kneecap pain include osteoarthritis, patellar tendonitis (Jumper's knee), and plica syndrome.

Is there any treatment for patellar subluxation?
    Treatment of the unstable patella is first to ensure that the patella is not dislocated. Your doctor can determine by examining your knee and obtaining x-rays, to see if the kneecap is outside of its groove. In patients with a kneecap dislocation, the kneecap may need to be repositioned, or "reduced."

Treatment of patellar subluxation includes:

Physical Therapy
    Traditionally, patients were sent to physical therapy to strengthen their VMO (part of the quadriceps muscle) to realign the pull on the kneecap. More recent research has shown that this is probably not the critical factor in eliminating kneecap problems. Focusing instead on strengthening of the hip abductors and hip flexors (so-called pelvic stabilization exercises) offers better control of the kneecap.

Bracing and Taping
    Bracing and taping of the kneecap are also a conroversial topic in the rehabilitation of kneecap problems. These often provide symptomatic relief, but are certainly not a long-term solution. Caertianly if symptomatic relief is found with a brace or tape, it is certainly appropriate to continue with this as a treatment.

Better Footwear
    Footwear contributes to the gait cycle. Motion control running shoes may help control your gait while running and decrease the pressure on the kneecap.
    Is surgery ever needed for patellar subluxation or dislocation?
    Some patients are not cured by conservative therapy, and it may be determined that surgery is needed, especially in patients who have significant pain or recurrent dislocation. By looking into the knee with an arthroscope, the surgeon can assess the mechanics of the knee joint to ascertain if there is an anatomic malalignment that could be corrected. One common malalignment is the result of too much lateral tension that pulls the kneecap out from its groove; this can place increased pressure on cartilage and lead to dislocation. For this problem, a procedure known as a lateral release can be performed. This procedure involves cutting the tight lateral ligaments to allow the patella to resume its normal position.

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Damn C, rest up and get better!

Sorry to hear about this but it could've been a lot worse.
    Give you a shout later when I have more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbus
    Screw the pain meds....they make you sick.........give you a nice buzz for an hour, then it wears off and you are left feeling like shit

Although my buddy used to train with nubain, said it was his lifesavor.......ever known anyone to use it? I'm not even sure what it is, how it works etc....maybe more do.
    He knows I am joking....

the_rebirth is offline Member
    Ouch, that sucks.. Your the 2nd person in this game who I have known this happen to.

But heres the good thing, from this you can only grow stronger both mentally and physically. After this is all said and done you will have moved up one more notch in self development.

You will overcome this quickly!

If there is anything else I can do for ya let me know

how long you staying out of the gym?? plans?

Thanks 3DS and I B D..will hit y'all both up shortly.

Well..I'm back from the doc's.

I'm wearing a cast from mid-thigh to ankle (ankle not restricted tho).

X-rays showed no damage to the patella... but did show a tibial hairline fracture..

mavsluva is offline "Gone but not forgotten" 10/11/07
    X-rays showed no damage to the patella... but did show a tibial hairline fracture..
    Sounds like you got really lucky as a hairline fracture should heal within 2-4 weeks. This is good news!

So how are things coming along?

Hope all is well.

Bump...

How's it going Nark?

What's the verdict?

^^Update...

No painkillers..cus the doc wants me aware of pain so i don't reinjure myself during my covalescence.

I don't mind..cus i don't do pain killers anyway.

I wish there was an anti-dote to this abysmal heat the cast's generating though.

Yea... Still wearing cast.

Going to get another layer applied inthe morning.

Bathing is a bitch.. sleeping, standing, laying down.. equally so.

When i fall asleep, my bodyweight pressing against the cast cuts off circulation to my toes.

I'm alive though..and it could've been owrse.. so im thankful.

My girl's been great tru it... I'm doing most everything on my own.. but she's been great support.

Some of my bros from school popped in last night to shi t the shit with me.. and a couple are gonna crash my house on saturday to play ps2 or x-box or some shit.

Gotta clean the house right now lol.

I've got the beer chilling in the fridge at the moment

-N

^ How long do have to be casted for? The longer you have to be casted, the greater the chance for muscular atrophy...especially with you being casted from the hip down...I couldn't imagine it, especially with you being at a competitive level in BB...how do you think this might effect your goals for the year? At least it's good to hear you in high spirits. And atleast you're able to get through this without the need for painkillers, which as we all know, should be a last resort. Props to you for being strong through all this.

Keep us updated Nark.

Good luck,

^ How long do have to be casted for? The longer you have to be casted, the greater the chance for muscular atrophy...especially with you being casted from the hip down...I couldn't imagine it, especially with you being at a competitive level in BB...how do you think this might effect your goals for the year? At least it's good to hear you in high spirits. And atleast you're able to get through this without the need for painkillers, which as we all know, should be a last resort. Props to you for being strong through all this.

Keep us updated Nark.

Good luck,
    When do you think you'll try a few movemnts in the gym? Def. stay away from the pain killers if "beers" are on the menu,........

Looks like zero cardio for awhile.......but you rarely do it anyways, right? It's possible to stay shredded with diet and training??

UpstateTank is offline Banned
    sorry to hear nark

*hug*

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Hm. I'm curious as to whether this is what he thinks it is.. Well, you obviously have the break. But you might have more. Without an MRI there really isn't a good way to tell if there's soft tissue damage. The reason why is many times your musculature will help to stabilize the joint and hide a ligament/cartillege injury during a physical exam... especially when pain is involved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information