Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OPSTER is offline Associate Member

Plain an simple, can you be friends with an ex?

Im having this debate with my gf... but some input would be appreciated. She says that its possible, I for one, know it's not...
    What do you guys think?
    And yes, I want to beat the livin shit outta her ex right now....

nyjetsfan86 is offline Anabolic Member
    it all d e p ends on how your relationship was when you were together and how it ended

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Any of my ex's i stayed friends with i was still having sex with. New boyfriends or not.

I have 1 that we broke up over 2 years ago and we are real friends. We ended it because it was a long distance and it wasn't going to work.

JC.1987 is offline Associate Member
    yeah, theres lots of factors that play into it. But in general, you can still be "friends" with an ex if you are able to get along without fighting etc...at least thats what i think. But otherwise, i know alot of my friends are not friends with their ex's even though they would like to be, but for some reason or another they just do not get along.

ToTheBuckeT21 is offline Senior Member
    if you are going to be friends with an ex there needs to be a large time gap between.. for example.. I dated a girl in highschool for years. We broke off went away for college and met back up like 3 years later.. we are great friends because there was that time gap away.. then I have other girls that I dated and tried the friend thing but we just kept ending up sleeping together and getting pissed that we did it cause we are trying to move on.. and I just stopped talking to them all together... You can't go straight from dating to friends.. there needs to be a time gap

Lexed is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    nooo dude horrible IDEA

LawMan018 is offline Senior Member
    I guess it could work out eventually. The girl I dated for a year and a half I'm not sure, I still care about her deeply, but the thought of us only being friends again just doesn't sit well with me... I just couldn't imagine hanging around her when she was with someone else...

Lexed is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    The problem was when I became friends with my ex whenever I was with another girl she would get pissed at me. She would say all this dumb shit to the girls I would date. Its horrible. Girls are mean

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    You can be friends, if youre 1,000 miles apart and talk on the phone once in a while. I dont see how you could trust your girl if she still hangs out with the ex. jmo.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    d epends, it can happen but it is more probable that it will turn out to be a disaster. if it is possible ,it has to happen a while after the break up,not immediately

HSFootball is offline Associate Member
    Hellllll noooooooo. I hate most of them.

numbat is offline Member
    Tough situation.. i would say yes but there is always a level of weirdness and or resentment involved

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by numbat
    Tough situation.. i would say yes but there is always a level of weirdness and or resentment involved
    very true

HSFootball is offline Associate Member
    You probably dumped her for a certain reason ie. she was annoying as hell,cheating, etc. She probably dumpd you for a certain reason ie. annoying, cheating, whatever. Unless you want to end up hatin each other.

B-STRONG is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTheBuckeT21
    if you are going to be friends with an ex there needs to be a large time gap between.. for example.. I dated a girl in highschool for years. We broke off went away for college and met back up like 3 years later.. we are great friends because there was that time gap away.. then I have other girls that I dated and tried the friend thing but we just kept ending up sleeping together and getting pissed that we did it cause we are trying to move on.. and I just stopped talking to them all together... You can't go straight from dating to friends.. there needs to be a time gap
    +1 good advice here...same thing happened with me

chest6 is offline Banned
    I'm still friends with one of my exes..

She got kinna chubby and it was purely friendship...but now shes hot again so we can't hangout or else we'd prolly end up fvcking....

it is possible to a degree. ..

K.Biz is offline Banned
    plain & simple = no

but i do have a few ex's im still on good terms with. we dont hang out but we dont hate eachother

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    i have one ex from when i was younger that i dated on and off for 3 years, and one day i realized i was better off being friends with her instead of being more intimate. it all seems to be working out fine cause we are both on the same page, however, every new gf i get hates her and is really threatened by her.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Friendship with an X all ***ends on the break up. Different situations

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OPSTER
    Im having this debate with my gf... but some input would be appreciated. She says that its possible, I for one, know it's not...
    What do you guys think?
    And yes, I want to beat the livin shit outta her ex right now....
    Ready... the answer is YES!

but ime & imo, there is absolutely NO reason to be her "friend".
    Whaddu need like someone to talk to on the phone at night?

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    Like others said it really ***ends on the situation. From my experience, no I can't be friends with her. I put up with too much bitching, crying, and lying during the school year only to come home to a girl that blew me off to go spend time with some fat hillbilly that wanted to get into her pants aka her "best friend." I can't stand to watch her flirt with some guy, when she used to get pissed off at me for only talking to other girls. She used to give me so much shit because she was so afraid I was gonna go out and cheat on her. Which is kinda ironic because she's engaged to her "best friend", and they live three hours apart from each other, and she's screwing around on him. So there will never be a friendship between us.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg_28
    Like others said it really ***ends on the situation. From my experience, no I can't be friends with her. I put up with too much bitching, crying, and lying during the school year only to come home to a girl that blew me off to go spend time with some fat hillbilly that wanted to get into her pants aka her "best friend." I can't stand to watch her flirt with some guy, when she used to get pissed off at me for only talking to other girls. She used to give me so much shit because she was so afraid I was gonna go out and cheat on her. Which is kinda ironic because she's engaged to her "best friend", and they live three hours apart from each other, and she's screwing around on him. So there will never be a friendship between us.
    dude did you get my last pm?

im even sure you read it at this point..

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah I got it. It was a good read my friend, a very good read.

Valac is offline Member
    no u cant be friends with ur ex gf/bf and no u cant be friends with ur gf's/bf's ex's- u more or less what kill em its human instinct(not always the case) hahaha

lpicken is offline Associate Member
    I guess it's possible, but if a kid is not involved, why would you want to? There is no need to go about making enemies, but there is certainly more than one women in the world that can make you happy. Furthermore, I have come to the conclusion that is not really necessary to spend a bunch of time with a women unless you are romantically involved. What you are going to do; spend your Sunday afternoon with your ex chatting about old times at Starbucks? I say move on.

Snrf is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    Any of my ex's i stayed friends with i was still having sex with. New boyfriends or not.

I have 1 that we broke up over 2 years ago and we are real friends. We ended it because it was a long distance and it wasn't going to work

thats the same for me, thats the only ex I'm still friends with...but it was like 3 months ago

JAYROD is offline Senior Member
    i say it's a very bad idea and why would you want to be friends anyway?

Pooks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYROD
    i say it's a very bad idea and why would you want to be friends anyway?
    yah sounds like he;s trying to get in her pants again.. good luck

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    Quote Originally Posted by HSFootball
    Hellllll noooooooo. I hate most of them.

Shane35aa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooks
    yah sounds like he;s trying to get in her pants again.. good luck

I agree seems like he trying to get laid with the "I just want to be friends line"

Rye_guy is offline Member
    nope, Ive never been friends with an exe after the splitt, unless we were continuing shagging... but thats just how it went with me, and that was only one exe i kept shaggin. most of my exes and I splitt badly, women are just as bad for sluttin it up as us men, if not worse...

Ive got some ****ed up stories as to how the exe wife and I splitt... was NOT pretty. and no, we didnt contiue being friends or shagging. the day I moved out, she had another guy movin in. was alot of violent hostile tention there while Im moving out and hes moving his crap in. I wanted to hitch his car up to my truck and roll it over in the ditch...

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I would say 99% of the time, NO!

My last girlfriend though, I would be there for her anytime she needed me. She is an exception.
    ***No source checks!!!***

Rye_guy is offline Member
    ^^ sounds like she was a special girl... I always seem to hook up with total trashey women who just use ya for something

rubix6 is offline Female Member
    It really ***ends on the people. I have ex's that there is no way that I could be friends with.. on the other hand I have an ex that is a purely platonic good friend. Its pretty rare, but it can happen

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by K.Biz
    plain & simple = no

but i do have a few ex's im still on good terms with. we dont hang out but we dont hate eachother
    This is exactly how I feel. If I ever saw them around sure we could say hi and chat for a min. But thats as far as I want the friendship to go. I never want to be on bad terms with an ex, but to still be friends and hang out or talk on the phone...I dont think it can work without leading to something else. I mean if I still like them enough to talk on the phone with them or hang out, well odds are I will probably end up seeing the same things in them that I saw in the past that made me fall for them in the first place.

This is really ironic actually, just 2 nights ago probably my best girlfriend called me up crying and sayin we shouldnt talk anymore. The truth is ex or not, I think its pretty hard to just be friends with a girl in the first place. Sure I have tons of girls I call friends, but once you get close there is no doubt one of you will like the other and then its just different. There is only one girl who I go out with and talk to on the phone often that has been around for years and years since highschool. But I think it only works because when we became friends she had a bf and still does and I know him as well so we are all cool.

gigem is offline Banned
    it ***ends on your relationship i have some exs im friends with some im not i always try to end things on a good note regardless of who calls it off i wasnt always that way but as ive matured i realize that you shouldnt hate a person because your relationship didnt work out. now i dont disrespect my wife but if i see an ex i speak or if they need someone to talk to i try to be there and help

testisbest is offline Senior Member
    I say no just because I'm a horny bastard and I'd talk dirty and try to sleep with them all of the time. It's wierd how I get along better with girls after we stop seeing each other than when we are dating.
    There's an old Hank Jr. song that I sing in my head whenever I think about calling an ex, "I like to have women I've never had".

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Funny enough we were discussing this in the pub on Saturday night and every guy I know, myself included say NO. You cant and its pretty ****ing obvious why.

Most girls say it is possible.

They say women are more emotional creatures than men and I sometimes wonder if that means they can deal with emotional stress and get over breakups quicker than guys who tend to store everything up and brood.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    Just split up with my gf last week and I cant be friends with her. Were still talking etc...But its hard. Been with her 2 years in July.

slob is offline Member
    no. Ex'es are ex'es for a reason. If somoene is no longer part of your life, its going to be their loss and not yours. Move on, stop living in the past.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information