Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    bpm1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K.Biz
    Your huge bro.
    i second that, hopefully ill look that good someday, good job bro!

dece870717 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think the way huge people are portrayed in the media(movies,tv shows,news) is a def. problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dece870717
    I think the way huge people are portrayed in the media(movies,tv shows,news) is a def. problem.
    what, just cause they are always so dumb they can hardly speak and usually have a temper that flares out if u breathe wrong, whats wrong with that?LOL!

WEBB is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    maybe it is just where i live or something, but i get nothing but respect and great feedback from everyone....they always ask about my shows and wanna see pics...i am very outgoing and friendly so that helps...also i dont see myself as big, i am just average so i think that makes a difference, some guys that are big act like they are huge, they go out and when someone bumps them they act all huge, when that happens to me and it is not my fault in the least i always apologize first...the president of my company wants tickets to my next show and is going to try and get me corporate sponsorship too...i have one or two very very close friends that want me to just be careful cause i am 300 pounds and they know what i am doing to my body but they say it with concern and not in a condescending way....basically i think it has to do with how bigger guys carry themselves, when they act arrogant they get no respect, but when we treat others no different (cause we arent) we get respect and do not get the negative side....dont get me wrong, i have had my mom tell me i am a freak and her friend calls me " the no neck monster", and i am sure i dont hear some things at the gym, but even my girl has said she hears people in the mall make comments, but they are 99% positive...might just be a different situation here...

There's not a single bodybuilder where I workout, so I don't even know...

ebjack is offline Senior Member
    I think it has a lot to do with the alpha dog "thing". Everybody knows where the biggest guy in the gym is..and they (me too) look and see how much he is lifting. (sometimes...I'm the biggest, and I love it)..

they are always very intense and I make it a point to not get in their way...and sometimes my mind is going " don't worry about anybody else" and I get resentful. (childish, I know)

///just a few random thoughts on the issue
    ///started mast/prop this morning

im not that big my self but sometimes i am the biggest guy in the gym(its a lifetime fitness)its very middleage and frumpy so no big accomplishment.but it does feel good to get "the looks" and to see people noticing u but i never get all cocky or act like im all huge cause i know im not.webb has got it , treat everyone normal and theyll treat u normal. when i get big enough that everywhere i go everyone stares cause im so big then ill post up and tell u how i feel.i really dont think it will be any diff than i feel now though, peace brothers!

Hunter is offline Grateful
    I think bodybuilders are overly sensitive. I know pro fighters who have gone into a club and people disrespected them instantly, I know bodybuilders who get looks at the gym. People will be jelous over anything having muscles is no different.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    ive never had to deal with this, my gf says that people sometimes stare but i dont notice it.

I do try to stay pretty covered up though, I HATE the attention unless im at the gym.....

if you smile and are nicer than usuall I bet half of the sterotypes would disappear....

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    I think that the animosity is usually generated towards the twats who walk around doing lat spread with their arms bowed out. We have all seen them. There are also those who strut through town with just a singlet on, lats spread ...... in the middle of WINTER when everyone else is freezing!

Schmidty is offline Test Is Best!
    BTW yes i beleive that the presence of a body builder does create jealousy. I was at point fest(St.Louis concert) walking around and some wiggers yell from acrost the lawn "Lay off the roids" I turned around and really didnt know what to say. My gf says" at least u know their working for u" i then took it as a complement and kept on walking to the side stage to see Papa Roach

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty
    BTW yes i beleive that the presence of a body builder does create jealousy. I was at point fest(St.Louis concert) walking around and some wiggers yell from acrost the lawn "Lay off the roids" I turned around and really didnt know what to say. My gf says" at least u know their working for u" i then took it as a complement and kept on walking to the side stage to see Papa Roach
    Oh mannnn, if someone said "Lay off the roids" I think I would flip cause I know most people that say that assume you didn't have to work hard to get big.

Schmidty is offline Test Is Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by dece870717
    Oh mannnn, if someone said "Lay off the roids" I think I would flip cause I know most people that say that assume you didn't have to work hard to get big.
    It made me realise that they are deff working. Thats why i take them i guess?????? i want the attention but at the same time its mostly negative attention, i really dont understand myself sometimes. But then their are the people that give me complements that make me stay and strive to better myself in the gym. Bodybuilding is a strange thing.

It made me realise that they are deff working. Thats why i take them i guess?????? i want the attention but at the same time its mostly negative attention, i really dont understand myself sometimes. But then their are the people that give me complements that make me stay and strive to better myself in the gym. Bodybuilding is a strange thing.
    LOL, I love the attention I get from women but then I hate it at the same time cause they make me nervous as hell and starts to make me get all clumsy or maybe its cause I'm pretty shy most of the time.
    Last edited by dece870717; 05-19-2007 at 04:08 PM.

brajosm is offline Banned
    You nailed it bro

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    oddly enuff in this redneck state bb'in is a common trend and the majority of the people around here compete, especially right now i can walk into my gym at almost any time and see 1-2 chicks who are prepin for a june comp and bout 4-6men who are preppin for a comp in june as well.

its considered the norm.

Saunacrank is offline Associate Member
    I'll admit, I used to hate back when I was younger and I'd see juicers. But I learned that hating is just about the worst thing a person could do. Im ashamed but I'll admit it, I was once a hater

sonnygll is offline Member
    Yea when you get big, you do start getting those "I bet he's on roids" looks, even when you're not. Other then 5 lbs I gained on superdrol, I'm natural. A while back (before the superdrol) I started getting those looks.

Then people have given me shit about what I eat for a long time. A lot of people don't know whats healthy either. So you get weird looks about what you get at the store.

People are more intimidated though.

Mike Dura is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I sense intimidation when I try to jump in with people using equip. and they act nervous or rush their set. I'm super polite when I approach people too. People think you're "huge" even when your 5'8 and 185 pounds with 16.5" arms. Bodybuilding seems like more than just the tale of the tape. A 16.5 arm looks huge if it has shape and vascularity.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnygll
    Yea when you get big, you do start getting those "I bet he's on roids" looks, even when you're not. Other then 5 lbs I gained on superdrol, I'm natural. A while back (before the superdrol) I started getting those looks.

Then people have given me shit about what I eat for a long time. A lot of people don't know whats healthy either. So you get weird looks about what you get at the store.

People are more intimidated though.

boostedevo8 is offline Associate Member
    I get the looks all the time in the gym......they all stare when I crank out 15 to 20 pull ups.....mind you I'm the only guy over 200lbs at my gym that does pullups .....lol all skinny guys then go and try to do pullups once I'm done....lol.....I love the stare.......my gym is all about people hooking up and chatting, there are no serious lifters there....sometimes makes me want to find one of those hardcore wharehouse gyms full of old school powerlifters lol.....

ebjack is offline Senior Member
    welcome back Mike

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    Wow, great thread Mike.

Till today, all my friends give me crap about how I'm getting too big or how I'm ingesting all these nasty chemicals (that's what they think of whey..the devil's drink ) or how I don't have a life because of my strict diet.... But when their wives/girlfriends give me the sideway look (heck, some of them even ask to feel my bis), I just KNOW they are feeling inadequate and insecure

Also, people always take my intensity at the gym to be a form of arrogance, because some of them just come to the gym (its a club with other facilities) to relax or gossip around the weight machines and I pay them no attention and just do my thing... It's amazing the justifications fat/thin/lanky folk use to sooth their own insecurities and inadequacies...they sleep much better believing that you are big because you are on steroids , not because you have the discipline and character that they lack....
    Last edited by InsaneInTheMembrane; 05-22-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneInTheMembrane
    Wow, great thread Mike.

Till today, all my friends give me crap about how I'm getting too big or how I'm ingesting all these nasty chemicals (that's what they think of whey..the devil's drink ) or how I don't have a life because of my strict diet.... But when their wives/girlfriends give me the sideway look (heck, some of them even ask to feel my bis), I just KNOW they are feeling inadequate and insecure
    Also, people always take my intensity at the gym to be a form of arrogance, because some of them just come to the gym (its a club with other facilities) to relax or gossip around the weight machines and I pay them no attention and just do my thing... It's amazing the justifications fat/thin/lanky folk use to sooth their own insecurities and inadequacies...they sleep much better believing that you are big because you are on steroids , not because you have the discipline and character that they lack....
    Insane, i couldnt have said it better my self bro....excellent post to say the least...

Yeah, you definately don't develop a body through test injections alone as many people think. It's hard work but that's the challenge and the fun of it. Every set comes down to that question, can I suck it up or do I give in to pain. It's comes down to that present moment and you decide. From there it's about self-restraint with your diet which, I think is the hardest thing. If there was no such thing as natural peanut butter, life would be easier. That damn George Washington Carver!

Wow, great thread Mike.

Also, people always take my intensity at the gym to be a form of arrogance, because some of them just come to the gym (its a club with other facilities) to relax or gossip around the weight machines and I pay them no attention and just do my thing... It's amazing the justifications fat/thin/lanky folk use to sooth their own insecurities and inadequacies...they sleep much better believing that you are big because you are on steroids, not because you have the discipline and character that they lack....

Dobie-BOY is offline Senior Member
    Wow, great thread Mike.

Also, people always take my intensity at the gym to be a form of arrogance, because some of them just come to the gym (its a club with other facilities) to relax or gossip around the weight machines and I pay them no attention and just do my thing... It's amazing the justifications fat/thin/lanky folk use to sooth their own insecurities and inadequacies...they sleep much better believing that you are big because you are on steroids, not because you have the discipline and character that they lack....
    ^^^I gotta second this one also. Hit the nail right on the head. ^^^
    Mike's a smart man. Great thread bro.
    Man, I could write about this topic all day long. I have lost friends because of their animosity towards me. There have been some VERY uncomfortable times for me. For instance, I was at a bar with some friends one day and I go to the bathroom. On the way a drunk girl grabs me and tells me Im gorgeous and wont let go of me. Finally I shake her off and go back to the table and my friends start asking, "what were those girls saying?" I was hesitant to tell them because I didnt want to seem arrogant, but finally from their persistance I told them. their was a weird silence and one of my friends half drunk wife said something about my hot body. My friend said some childish shit like, "well I guess you should have married Dobie then". We are not friends anymore. F'n people!

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    i lyke CAKE!

you are Cake....

I wouldn't consider myself a bodybuilder. but I think that the looks are funny. just the other days this group of girls younger than me saw me wipe the sweat from my brow with my shirt. one of the girl comes up (obviously the uglier one, cause they don't care what they say ) and says "can you do that again just so we can see the V-shape of your lower abs.

I was thinking to myself, 'what the f**k, right here. The funny thing is though, I could see the guys these girls were hanging out with scouring my way mumbling "ya but I bet he works out like 5 hours a day"

That brought a smile to my face, simply because I think my abs aren't very good!

haha

Envy is a bitch.

V shape of your abs? That doesn't even make sense but I guess that was meant as a compliment. V shaped abs. Hmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Growingpains
    I wouldn't consider myself a bodybuilder. but I think that the looks are funny. just the other days this group of girls younger than me saw me wipe the sweat from my brow with my shirt. one of the girl comes up (obviously the uglier one, cause they don't care what they say ) and says "can you do that again just so we can see the V-shape of your lower abs.

I was thinking to myself, 'what the f**k, right here. The funny thing is though, I could see the guys these girls were hanging out with scouring my way mumbling "ya but I bet he works out like 5 hours a day"

That brought a smile to my face, simply because I think my abs aren't very good!

haha

Envy is a bitch.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dura
    V shape of your abs? That doesn't even make sense but I guess that was meant as a compliment. V shaped abs. Hmmmmm.
    I assuming that v shape below your abs kinda more on your pelvis

Oh. That makes sense. I've never heard of that.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    I assuming that v shape below your abs kinda more on your pelvis

Andorious is offline Associate Member
    haven't read much of the responses but wanted to give my exp as well. its surprising how early the animosity can start, cause to be honest im no bodybuilder, but i find as soon as you have more size than the average joe you can encounter this animosity.
    i was really skinnny throughout highschool, then put on some size afterwards, when i bumped into an old friend from highschool at the gym one time he began to half jokingly imitate me, by flaring his arms out and walk with a bad case of ILS. then he said some shit about how i think im a bad ass or something. it was weird for me cause i didnt act any differently than i ever had towards him, and i by no means ever attempt to exagerate my size. anyways, cant offer much of an analysis as to why he did that, but ive exp. it for sure

Yeah, it's a curious thing. I have to admit, at times it bothers me. I think to myself that it shouldn't but I realize it does. It's easy to kind of get misanthropic (hating people in general). But with people, it's really a mixed bag. The pettyness and the jelousy - the resentment - and all based on a persons appearance, it's truly disapointing. When you're a kid in the sandbox and you see all of that childish stuff, you think that it goes away in adulthood. Surprise surprise! I guess we're all children at heart. It's not rational," as Spock would say. I've read that even homeless people try to make distinction between one another. Hey I may collect cans but at least I'm not like bob who's a dumpster diver! Always some one-upmanship going down.

Quote Originally Posted by Andorious
    haven't read much of the responses but wanted to give my exp as well. its surprising how early the animosity can start, cause to be honest im no bodybuilder, but i find as soon as you have more size than the average joe you can encounter this animosity.
    i was really skinnny throughout highschool, then put on some size afterwards, when i bumped into an old friend from highschool at the gym one time he began to half jokingly imitate me, by flaring his arms out and walk with a bad case of ILS. then he said some shit about how i think im a bad ass or something. it was weird for me cause i didnt act any differently than i ever had towards him, and i by no means ever attempt to exagerate my size. anyways, cant offer much of an analysis as to why he did that, but ive exp. it for sure
    Last edited by Mike Dura; 05-23-2007 at 07:57 PM.

Andorious is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dura
    Yeah, it's a curious thing. I have to admit, at times it bothers me. I think to myself that it shouldn't but I realize it does. It's easy to kind of get misanthropic (hating people in general). But with people, it's really a mixed bag. The pettyness and the jelousy - the resentment - and all based on a persons appearance too. As Spock would say, "it's not rational"
    ya i dont even think you can come up with a reason for it that would even suit everyone. I do believe jealousy is sometimes the issue, but there are other times when people are really not jealous, but think your a cocky asshole cause you have muscle. Jealousy can def be a factor cause i notice those that aren't jealous (maybe they're huge themselves or they just don't have any interest in the gym) are the one's who will throw a compliment your way or atleast never criticize.
    it bothers me too, cause i make a point to try not to push my lifestyle on anyone else or boast. yet people will invent that I do these things. maybe it bothers them to see someone really well rounded physically and mentally. bothers them to see a person in great shape AND to actually be a nice person .

Well, I think the negativity gets even worse if you're aloof (vs. a nice person). I also think people look to knock you down if you've got something going. For me, I'm inspired by people who work hard to achieve something. I'm even more inspired if those same people are somewhat detached from their own achievements. You're much more that those things and if you're over identified with your achievements you really become out of touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Andorious
    ya i dont even think you can come up with a reason for it that would even suit everyone. I do believe jealousy is sometimes the issue, but there are other times when people are really not jealous, but think your a cocky asshole cause you have muscle. Jealousy can def be a factor cause i notice those that aren't jealous (maybe they're huge themselves or they just don't have any interest in the gym) are the one's who will throw a compliment your way or atleast never criticize.
    it bothers me too, cause i make a point to try not to push my lifestyle on anyone else or boast. yet people will invent that I do these things. maybe it bothers them to see someone really well rounded physically and mentally. bothers them to see a person in great shape AND to actually be a nice person .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information