Thread: Blending Oats

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger

Blending Oats

does blending oats lose nutritional value? I usually blend mine into a shake with whey and am just curious.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Blend away! It doesn't change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGRMI
    Blend away! It doesn't change a thing.
    thanks

BuffDJ is offline Associate Member
    I don't think it will change anything. I posted a thread yesterday about different ways to do my oats. Cant wait to try them in a shake.
    Buff.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    how do you guys do it, do you put them in the blender without, or after putting them in microwave or stove?

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    bump to 3000 posts yaigh!

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    how do you guys do it, do you put them in the blender without, or after putting them in microwave or stove?

Just get the pack of raw oats, and throw in blender, along with whatever else.

I do it all the time, in my shakes and protein pancakes and such...and I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    1 cup of oats with 1 scoop of whey and water is the best

HORSE~ is offline yeah
    Whole oats have a slower digestive rate meaning that they are a lower gi carb than say the 1 minute oats so I think that by blending them it would raise the the gi content intern speeding up the rate of absorption....So I would not blend them if I where looking to keep my gi carbs in the low category....

Primalinstinct is offline Associate Member
    I respect you, Horse.

But, if I'm not blending them (which I do) I'm chewing them down with my teeth. What is the difference? Is it something to do with the swiftness of the the blender/grinding that is affecting their acidity or something?

Forgive me for my ignorance but I have been grinding my oats for months out of sheer laziness to cook them. After the 1000th intake I have resolved to just grind them and drink them down with the protein shake.

one example:

1/2 cup to 1 cup oats ground
    one scoop natty PB
    almonds and walnuts ground
    ice
    skim milk
    egg whites 3 to 6 count
    (maybe) fat free yogurt
    banana
    protein powder -- vanilla

Yes, a bulking shake indeed. But tastes so yummy.
    Last edited by Primalinstinct; 07-13-2007 at 12:57 AM.

Coop77 is offline Senior Member
    you can grind the dry oats in a coffee grinder

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    If you're grinding them into a fine powder it just makes it easier for you body to digest and process. If you're eating them raw and chewing them they would still be partially intact and you'd never be able to get them as fine as being ground to a powder so your body would still have to work harder to break them down which would lower the g.i. from a ground oatmeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalinstinct
    I respect you, Horse.

But, if I'm not blending them (which I do) I'm chewing them down with my teeth. What is the difference? Is it something to do with the swiftness of the the blender/grinding that is affecting their acidity or something?

Forgive me for my ignorance but I have been grinding my oats for months out of sheer laziness to cook them. After the 1000th intake I have resolved to just grind them and drink them down with the protein shake.

one example:

1/2 cup to 1 cup oats ground
    one scoop natty PB
    almonds and walnuts ground
    ice
    skim milk
    egg whites 3 to 6 count
    (maybe) fat free yogurt
    banana
    protein powder -- vanilla

Yes, a bulking shake indeed. But tastes so yummy.

kaberle_15 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ejuicer
    If you're grinding them into a fine powder it just makes it easier for you body to digest and process. If you're eating them raw and chewing them they would still be partially intact and you'd never be able to get them as fine as being ground to a powder so your body would still have to work harder to break them down which would lower the g.i. from a ground oatmeal.
    Hmmmm I may have to try grinding them up

outofthebox is offline Associate Member
    one pinch oats, one sip of water, drink.....eat em whole....heh

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HORSE
    Whole oats have a slower digestive rate meaning that they are a lower gi carb than say the 1 minute oats so I think that by blending them it would raise the the gi content intern speeding up the rate of absorption....So I would not blend them if I where looking to keep my gi carbs in the low category....

With that logic you would also say that mashed sweet potatoes would have a higher gi rating than if I were to bake and then cut up? Or, putting a banana in a blender for my protein shake would raise the gi rating higher than if I were to just peel it and then eat? I would like to see some research on this...

thetank is offline Anabolic Member
    ive always rocked them in a blender in my shakes as well..altho i havent done that in over a couple years..since before my lay off..believe it or not i almost feel like some good ol' oats right now. nah actually i dont.

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneGRMI
    With that logic you would also say that mashed sweet potatoes would have a higher gi rating than if I were to bake and then cut up? Or, putting a banana in a blender for my protein shake would raise the gi rating higher than if I were to just peel it and then eat? I would like to see some research on this...
    The more you process or refine foods the faster the digestion rate will be as well as impact on blood sugar.
    A perfect example is oats: the glycemic index is different in all the different preparations of them ranging from low to high based upon processing. Steel cut irish oats in a natural state, then quick oats, then they've been processed further to instant oats which continues to elevate the g.i. Based upon that how wouldn't it increase the g.i. by processing them even further to the point of being a powder which just makes it easier for your body to break down, which means it will digest at a more rapid rate causing a higher surge.
    This varies between different foods and the impact processing has on each individual one.
    With a banana, it's already a very soft consistancy that is easier for your body to digest to begin with so blending it would most likely have very minimal impact on the g.i. However the ripening process of a banana would have an impact on the g.i. since an unripe banana has a higher amount of starch. As the fruit ripens, the starch will actually start to convert into sugars.

Factors such as variety, cooking, and processing may effect a food's GI. Foods particularly sensitive to these factors include bananas, rice, and potatoes (for a fuller discussion of the GI of rice and potatoes see the section below). A 1992 study by Hermansen et al. reported that the GI for under-ripe bananas was 43 and that for over-ripe bananas was 74. In under-ripe bananas the starch constitutes 80-90 percent of the carbohydrate content, which as the banana ripens changes to free sugars. Particle size is also an important factor, according to a 1988 study by Heaton et al. The researchers found that the GI of wheat, maize, and oats increased from whole grains (lowest GI), cracked grains, coarse flour, to fine flour (highest GI).

Dave-D is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for this thread, I was blending granolla (cooked outs and other stuff) to add nutritional value, I was not sure if it was cool to eat raw.

Thread Information