Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunters??

bowonly is offline Associate Member

Hunters??

So are there any other hunter's here? I only hunt with a bow (thus the name). Usually spend a lot of time in the country hiding in a tree starting in Oct.

Went out to my "new lease" yesterday and set up a few trail cameras and stopped at the pond and did some bass fishing with my boys for a few hours. Good times!

Shane35aa is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I hunt...bow, modern gun, and mussleloader..love venison, make alot of it into jerky

Booz is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Roid is a keen hunter i beleive.............

Remember.............for us to help you you need to help us....................stats and exp.........

Source checks and Ugl's to be kept to PM's
    dont ask for source checks unless you have 100 posts/and 45 days minimum as a participating member.........

Booz.. a long-standing member of the AR Police:

sorry but absolutely no sources will be checked at this present time....

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    Love hunting. Spend pretty much every weekend at the lease october through january

10nispro is offline Productive Member
    last hunt was bowhunting elk in new mexico, last year. Louisiana is the sportsmans paradise....as long as you have a lease...hahha

Juicy J is offline Associate Member
    i love to hunt, i went to africa a couple of summers ago

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    Shot my first and only deer in nov. 2001 with a savage 170 pump action .35" rem shooting 200 gr. rem core lokts handloaded with Win 748 powder. About 20 yards off hand right through heart, lungs and exited. Ran maybe 25 feet. Heart was literally split in two. Lost track of the number of rabbits, squirrels, etc. over the years. Don't hunt much anymore due to time and gas costs Don't even shoot much anymore Tried bow hunting any even drew on one but he "burped"(sound they make when they run off) as I drew gave it up, too hard.

I hunt with bow, crossbow, r***e and shotgun... (also like fishing!)

Whitetail deer, small game (I love partridge!) and occasionally moose.

My philosophy on hunting is that except for controlling pests, if I kill it, I eat it. I never "trophy" hunted.

I can't wait for late sept when small game r***e and deer bow hunting starts here!

Red

All right! Since we are in the lounge, we should share some of those hunting stories over the next season. I should start getting some trail cam pics this next weekend. Keep in touch fellas!

dupa95 is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    Guna run my new pup on some birds this fall for sure.

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Quote Originally Posted by Booz
    Roid is a keen hunter i beleive.............

Love it. Been hunting deer since I was 12. I havent used a bow yet but Ive been practicing and have gotten good enough where I think I could hit whatever I aimed for...

The problem is that in gun season Ive seen sooooo many deer come into my blind with an arrow sticking out of them. I like the fact that when I throw my r***e up its a quick kill.

Roid... not sure what to say about the arrow sticking out of the deer you see. My son shot a deer in the shoulder, hit the bone, with a 40lb bow and it didnt do anything. Maybe a 1". Other than that, when I hit a deer with my 70lb bow, it almost always goes all the way threw. Practice, practice, practice.. I've been lucky enough that all the deer I have shot (minus 1) have not went far (within 50-yards) before going down. Get confident with the bow, go give it a try, you will love it!

dwaynewade is offline Senior Member
    trophy hunting sux! not flaming here... just my opinion... if you're not eating it why kill it??

I would bow hunt if I had my own place (land) like all my relatives do I can hunt their land anytime I want but they live a 180 miles away and gas is high and I'm trying to start another business
    *Goodcents sad now*

LawMan018 is offline Senior Member
    Naw... No hunting here... I'm an animal lover, always have been... Just can't seem to want to hurt the poor guys... However I do like eating them

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewade
    trophy hunting sux! not flaming here... just my opinion... if you're not eating it why kill it??
    who the hell kills it and doesn't eat it?? If anyone does that, I call dibs on the meat! I agee about bow hunting...I love to do it, but I'm just waiting for the day when I hit one in the back leg, and it does absolutely nothing but torcher the damn thing..I'll feel horrible.

buffgator is offline king of mass
    where do you bow hunt at bowonly? My dad is a hard core bow hunter all over utah and idaho.

longhorn814 is offline Anabolic Member
    Im thinking about getting into bow hunting after I saw these pictures!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hunters??-pic10890.jpg   Hunters??-pic03228.jpg   Hunters??-pic01319.jpg  

NICE PEEP sight!!

gator.. I'm here in Sooner land OKLAHOMA. I just got a couple of new spots. Both spots dont have much as far as trees go, but when the guy was showing us the land, two big bucks jumped up... I said "I'll TAKE IT"!!!

Like it doesn't matter, but those were "posed" pics because she does not have the forearm guard on which would sting like a bltch to get hit by the string, did it before, doooohhh. Nice chic though

You can tell she knows how to use a bow though

dupa95 is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    First you kill it then you grill it Uncle ted nuggent for president!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goodcents.. I NEVER use a guard. Never have. If you use proper form, it will not hit you. I have been hit before and straightened up that arm quick!! haha

Quote Originally Posted by bowonly
    gator.. I'm here in Sooner land OKLAHOMA. I just got a couple of new spots. Both spots dont have much as far as trees go, but when the guy was showing us the land, two big bucks jumped up... I said "I'll TAKE IT"!!!
    No trees? What distance is your average shot. Do you use a tree stand? I dont understand the lease thing either. You lease a couple acres to hunt on?

RA
    I dont really have a problem with my abilities with a bow. Its the guy who buys a bow on tuesday for the first time and goes hunting on Wednesday. Those are the people that end up wounding a ton. I have 3 cousins that bow hunt and love it. Less people in the woods that time of year.

I love hunting. Getting together at the camp with the fellas...drinking, chewing, playing euchre..then getting up early and crawling in the blind.

Its awesome to watch all the different animals popping out of the woodwork. All the time you have to watch how much you move, how much noise you make.

One year I had a curious fawn come so close to my blind I could have hit her with the end of my gun. She just stared for the longest time.. I couldnt even blink..lol

Quote Originally Posted by bowonly
    Roid... not sure what to say about the arrow sticking out of the deer you see. My son shot a deer in the shoulder, hit the bone, with a 40lb bow and it didnt do anything. Maybe a 1". Other than that, when I hit a deer with my 70lb bow, it almost always goes all the way threw. Practice, practice, practice.. I've been lucky enough that all the deer I have shot (minus 1) have not went far (within 50-yards) before going down. Get confident with the bow, go give it a try, you will love it!

longhorn814 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodcents
    Like it doesn't matter, but those were "posed" pics because she does not have the forearm guard on which would sting like a bltch to get hit by the string, did it before, doooohhh. Nice chic though
    im curious as why you were looking at her forearm??? haha

Gator... the land I am hunting this year is grassland for the most part. 240-acres but has some rolling hills and the deer are using the canyons for travel. there is a pond in the center of the land (where we jumped the bucks) and it has a few trees following the stream away from the pond. I have several tree stands and I will find a few trees to set up. The land is NOT MIND...darn it... but I have leased (paid) for the right to hunt the land for a season.

Roid.. I hear ya on that. The same goes for gun hunters! People should be very confident and know there abilities before they go hunt. IMO.

I practice all the way out to 60-yards. I set my tree stand for a 20-30 yard shot, but the deer dont always go where you want. MOST of my shots, the deer walked under or within 5-yards of my stand.

Thats interesting. Here in utah and idaho using a tree stand is not very common, and you draw out to hunt usually on goverment land, because your permit is for a geographical location you cant hunt your own private land unless it is inside the geographical location you drew for. So if you owned 200 acres some where, but your permit was not to hunt that geographical spot then you cant hunt it. Do you guys just have white tails? We only have mule deer hear. Also cant you guys kill like up to 6 deer?
    Last edited by buffgator; 08-20-2007 at 02:25 PM.

RA
    No mules in Michigan, just white tail. Since we have the tb problem some years you can just keep going back for more tags..

Central Oklahoma...where I hunt is just whitetail. We do have mule deer west and close to the Kansas border. We can take a total of 5 (maybe 6) deer, but no more than 2 can be bucks. That's all seasons. In archery, I can harvest up to 4.

If I own land... I'm HUNTING IT. Guess I better not live in Idaho or Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by roidattack
    I dont really have a problem with my abilities with a bow. Its the guy who buys a bow on tuesday for the first time and goes hunting on Wednesday. Those are the people that end up wounding a ton. I have 3 cousins that bow hunt and love it. Less people in the woods that time of year.
    Fortunately you can't do that here (well, unless you are a poacher...)

To hunt in my province, you have to follow a general hunting safety course, and then a specialized course according to the weapons you want to use to get your "hunters card" which is necessary to buy a permit.

The specialized course for firearms and crossbows are just a basic 4-6 hours "firearms safety" course on handling, safe shooting, transport and storage.

The archery specialty course is also a handling, shooting and all that course, but there is also a practical shooting test. They want to make sure you can shoot and that your bow is properly tuned, so for the test you have to put a certain number of arrows in targets at 20, 30 and 40 yards.

That cut down a LOT on bowhunters unnecessarely wounding animals.

Its awesome to watch all the different animals popping out of the woodwork. All the time you have to watch how much you move, how much noise you make.
    I love that, when you are dead quiet in your blind or treestand and nature just starts popping out around you... I bought a good digital SLR camera this year with a decent zoom, I can't wait to take some pics!!!

Red

10nispro is offline Productive Member
    Dont deer hunt to much anymore....LLooovveee to duck hunt.

Mojoman is offline Junior Member
    I deer hunt and have 900 acres of quality hardwoods with lot of bottoms that produce quality bucks. However, I just started Turkey hunting this last year on my land after seeing Turkey on every hunt during the deer season. Man, let me tell ya, Turkey hunting is addictive and 100 times more exciting than deer hunting. But, I dont intend to stop deer hunting anytime soon.

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    here is a pic of my camp. its on 40 secluded wooded acres. when its just me and the wife there..we stay in the nude. white tails, hogs, squirrels, coons and fish in the pond....its a true paradise....hanging from the boxing on the porch, you can see, the tails of what was killed this last season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hunters??-camp-001.jpg  

Capt, what a life, retired with a good woman, hunting and working out. I think Capt has figured it out

Captain, do you still keep in touch with the guys at the fire house? I know you get to be like a family. Do they ever hunt your place?

Nice Capt!

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodcents
    Captain, do you still keep in touch with the guys at the fire house? I know you get to be like a family. Do they ever hunt your place?
    i have close friends who are still on the dept, and i stop in for coffee and lunch now and again at different stations. at first id get fed for free, but i guess i wore that out...lol. i let a couple buddies take there kids out for the first week of squirrel season, but after that...not really....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information