want2bulk is offline Junior Member

construction apprentices .. how did you put up w/it? need advice

OK, here's the story ... I had a decent job at place where I had worked for 7 years, but unfortunately the place closed down. I'd like to go to school and get an office job or something that pays well and isn't too taxing on the body, but I racked up some bills that I seriously need to pay off first. Anyways, I had a friend get me a job as an apprentice electrician. Two problems ... when my friend played messenger, the boss said I'd get $9-9.50/hour to start. I got screwed at $8.50. I told my friend I'd come aboard if I got to work with him because I know how the journeymen are (a-holes). For the first couple weeks I was with him, but now I'm stuck at a crap chemical plant working with someone who I feel treats me like a b--ch and I don't feel I learn well with. Anyways, I'm not trying to be a ***** and complain but it just seems like a bunch of empty promises so far. I realize the potential down the road could be great. I just don't know if I can put up with this for that long or if this is even what I really want to do. The whole situation has me irritated/depressed. I don't want to get up and go to work in the morning. I haven't been to the gym in almost 3 months (since I started this job). The pay is just horrible. I have another job opportunity being a delivery driver. Not glamorous, I know. The pay is a little better to start, but it does have the potential for decent money within the first year. I'm kinda wondering if I should give it a shot, hopefully make decent $, pay off some bills, and then I have the option of at least looking at school once the bills are paid down. I also have a friend who I could maybe convince to teach me how to drive a rig so I can get my CDL. I'm probably just rambling, because I'm annoyed so who knows what the point of this is. Anyways, if anyone has any helpful hints/advice, shoot em my way. Also, if anyone is involved in one of the jobs mentioned, your advice about that profession would be great too. Thanks.

dedic8ed1 is offline Banned
    In construction when you start with no experience your about as valuable as the white stuff that accumulate's around your mouth when your thirsty.That's why your getting treated like dirt,but if you have a good attitude and show interest in the trade and the ability to eat shit until your earn the respect of your peers you will earn there respect and the knowledge of the trade.I did concrete for a long time and anyone who's in the game will tell you that mason's are the hardest people to work for,so I know how you feel.I'd say give it some time and don't act like your to good to work for these guy's.My little bro started out in the plumbing game at around the same rate 5 years ago and now he's making 18hr.If your expecting to be the man overnight forget it construction you've gotta earn everything every step of the way.

Keep in mind your also getting a free education from people that know by giving you a job will mean they have to teach you everything.Teachers get paid don't they?

beatango2008 is offline Senior Member
    Yea some people can put up with that kinda job I use to do framing for a little while but the foremans would treat you like sh!t and I don't like being disrespected by anyone when I'm trying my hardest. So yea I quit and now i'm working for a Demoliton Company and its pretty cool been there almost 2 years and already making pretty good money. But if your really that unhappy and dred going to work then I would say that job is probably not for you....is it the work you do or the people you work with? with me somtimes its both. I use to work at a resturant and made $10.00 an hour that was the most fun job I had I mean its not somthing you would want to do for the rest of your life but it pays the bills you know. I'm sure you'll make the right choice though best of luck to you.

It's not so much the job, it's the journeymen I've been paired up with the past 5-6 weeks. They are dicks and have ran off other apprentices in the past. I do try hard and I've been told I'm good at what I do (for a rookie). This is why I think the pay is unfair and the treatment is BS. I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but I was a supervisor at my last job (production job) and I had to train people and make sure the work was completed well and on time. I believe there's a right and a wrong way to both teach people and treat them. Anyways, I have a line on getting my CDL. What do you guys think? I'd possibly do over the road for a year or two, but then I'd definitely go to a local company. The pay can be decent, probabaly close to what I would've made as a journeyman electrician but a little less.

beatango2008 is offline Senior Member
    Cant really go wrong with getting your CDL my best friend has a CDL and he drives a tanker for a fuel company and makes great money...although you might as well forget about the gym if you choose that....or you could be like Stalone in ( Over the top ) and have a weight stack in your truck lol

With an over the road gig, I definitely wouldn't make the gym very often. I'm just looking at possibly doing OTR for a year or two to get some experience and then looking into something local. I wanna be just like Stalone! lol

Quote Originally Posted by want2bulk
    With an over the road gig, I definitely wouldn't make the gym very often. I'm just looking at possibly doing OTR for a year or two to get some experience and then looking into something local. I wanna be just like Stalone! lol
    5-6 weeks is nothing,listen bud suck it up or get out,if I was your boss I'd probably have fired you already.It sounds like all you do is compare your old job to your new which is the complete opposite.Do yourself and your boos a favor and quit because if you've been there 5 weeks already and you still havn't settled in yet your probably not going to.Construction is a mans job and takes patientce.It's not for everybody,and a driving job is alot less glamorius.I mean who can't drive a truck for a living,construction all phases takes brains if you ain't got it you just ain't got it.Sorry bud but if you feel your to good to start from the bottom then find a job that anyone can do.Your being tested and failing miserably,do you really wanna prove these people rite.Any time the concrete company I was with hired a new guy we would run a pool on how long the kid would last and I always took the under and rarely lost money.Man up find your balls and tuff it out your getting a free education.

Logan13 is offline Banned
    OK, here's the story ... I had a decent job at place where I had worked for 7 years, but unfortunately the place closed down. I'd like to go to school and get an office job or something that pays well and isn't too taxing on the body, but I racked up some bills that I seriously need to pay off first. Anyways, I had a friend get me a job as an apprentice electrician. Two problems ... when my friend played messenger, the boss said I'd get $9-9.50/hour to start. I got screwed at $8.50. I told my friend I'd come aboard if I got to work with him because I know how the journeymen are (a-holes). For the first couple weeks I was with him, but now I'm stuck at a crap chemical plant working with someone who I feel treats me like a b--ch and I don't feel I learn well with. Anyways, I'm not trying to be a ***** and complain but it just seems like a bunch of empty promises so far. I realize the potential down the road could be great. I just don't know if I can put up with this for that long or if this is even what I really want to do. The whole situation has me irritated/depressed. I don't want to get up and go to work in the morning. I haven't been to the gym in almost 3 months (since I started this job). The pay is just horrible. I have another job opportunity being a delivery driver. Not glamorous, I know. The pay is a little better to start, but it does have the potential for decent money within the first year. I'm kinda wondering if I should give it a shot, hopefully make decent $, pay off some bills, and then I have the option of at least looking at school once the bills are paid down. I also have a friend who I could maybe convince to teach me how to drive a rig so I can get my CDL. I'm probably just rambling, because I'm annoyed so who knows what the point of this is. Anyways, if anyone has any helpful hints/advice, shoot em my way. Also, if anyone is involved in one of the jobs mentioned, your advice about that profession would be great too. Thanks.
    You need to put some more time in and learn some valuable skills. Skills will equate to more pay. You need to do what makes you happy, and what pays the bills. You have many years of working ahead of you, might as well do something that you like. You could always get a job carry around Bg's 2nd place Pinewood Derby trophy............

Quote Originally Posted by dedic8ed1
    5-6 weeks is nothing,listen bud suck it up or get out,if I was your boss I'd probably have fired you already.It sounds like all you do is compare your old job to your new which is the complete opposite.Do yourself and your boos a favor and quit because if you've been there 5 weeks already and you still havn't settled in yet your probably not going to.Construction is a mans job and takes patientce.It's not for everybody,and a driving job is alot less glamorius.I mean who can't drive a truck for a living,construction all phases takes brains if you ain't got it you just ain't got it.Sorry bud but if you feel your to good to start from the bottom then find a job that anyone can do.Your being tested and failing miserably,do you really wanna prove these people rite.Any time the concrete company I was with hired a new guy we would run a pool on how long the kid would last and I always took the under and rarely lost money.Man up find your balls and tuff it out your getting a free education.
    Whoa buddy, settle down. Are you a damn union boy or what? You're entitled to your opinion but you're coming off as really talking down to me. You don't know me bro. First off, I haven't been there long, but it's certainly longer than 5-6 weeks. Hell, the last 5-6 weeks, I've been givin em an extra 10 hours of work each week. Second, I DO work my ass of when I'm at work. I've been told by most every guy at the shop that they like working with me and they don't want to see me go. I've been told I'm one of the better, if not the best new guy. There's just a problem when I'm making $8.50/hour and most shops start apprentices at $10-10.50/hour around here. What it comes down to is money. I thought I'd get taken care of a little better, but after learning what the 2nd and 3rd year apprentices make, apprentices are not taken care of by this shop. This is a very rewarding trade and one that I have interest in, but financially, I've determined I can not afford it right now. Anyways, you can say I failed miserably or whatever the hell you want. Like I said, you don't know me or my situation.
    Last edited by want2bulk; 08-20-2007 at 02:22 PM.

scottish is offline Associate Member
    Ive been in construction most of my life. 20+ years. The guys that talk down on you, think you have to pass some right of passage.. **** them. There is no need for people to be complete assholes at work. If your just a **** off, then you got whats coming. But if your truely there to learn, thats something different. Ive had more employees and subs than I care to remember, but I have never treated any of them with dis respect. IF they cant handle the job, they are let go, plain and simple.

Whoa buddy, settle down. Are you a damn union boy or what? You're entitled to your opinion but you're coming off as really talking down to me. You don't know me bro. First off, I haven't been there long, but it's certainly longer than 5-6 weeks. Hell, the last 5-6 weeks, I've been givin em an extra 10 hours of work each week. Second, I DO work my ass of when I'm at work. I've been told by most every guy at the shop that they like working with me and they don't want to see me go. I've been told I'm one of the better, if not the best new guy. There's just a problem when I'm making $8.50/hour and most shops start apprentices at $10-10.50/hour around here. What it comes down to is money. I thought I'd get taken care of a little better, but after learning what the 2nd and 3rd year apprentices make, apprentices are not taken care of by this shop. This is a very rewarding trade and one that I have interest in, but financially, I've determined I can not afford it right now. Anyways, you can say I failed miserably or whatever the hell you want. Like I said, you don't know me or my situation.
    Like I said you feel your too good to wait for your step up in pay that being the case I wouldn't want you working for me.No I'm not a union guy I made more money in concrete as a joureyman finisher nonunion.If everyone say's your working good that's great,go to your boss and say you think your ready for a decent apprentice rate.If I sound harsh it's because I did concrete for a long time and weeding out rookie's who complained was sort of a game we as long time finishers play.But know this the guys who made it with us got alot of respect and made the money they wanted and most are still in the game.And when they saw new guy's come to work for us they also followed in the hazing of the new guy's.Just the cost of a free education champ,It sounds like your doing ok so just ask your boss what's up.I'm not a dick I just think it's funny when people think there getting treated badly as a apprentice,because I've worked for the hardest of cement masons and been belittled and disrespected on a level where the guy I worked for would go so far as to sing songs on the job about fuking my girlfried,sure it pissed me off but when your looking at a guy who could crush your head like a grape and is paying you 600 a week to start you keep your mouth shut and earn and learn.Good luck and remember construction isn't for everyone.

I'd have no problem waiting for my raise in pay. I know anywhere you go, you have to earn your stripes. I just think the pay I'm at now and the pay I'd be at in 2 years is unfair. It just doesn't compete with the other shops in the area. Construction definitely isn't for everyone. I really did I have a general interest in learning the trade. I guess with the financial situation I'm in, it's hard not to be unhappy. I never showed it. I still worked my ass off, but it was in the back of my mind. I guess my feelings are that I'll get my CDL, find a local driving job starting at $16-$17/hour (not great) next spring, pay off some bills, and hopefully be able to fit school in part-time in the next 3 years or so. Trust me, I was really looking forward to the $23-$24/hour in 4-5 years, but I guess I have to do what I have to do at this very moment.

bpm1 is offline Anabolic Member
    i think u should stick it out it takes time but in the end u'll be making more money doing that than anything else u've talked about, it takes time brotha remember that,BTW im a residential electrcian and ive done very well for myself and my family something to think about

Quote Originally Posted by bpm1
    i think u should stick it out it takes time but in the end u'll be making more money doing that than anything else u've talked about, it takes time brotha remember that,BTW im a residential electrcian and ive done very well for myself and my family something to think about
    Well said brother,listen to this man wtb he's in probably the marqee trade to be in today and has just giving you very good advice.Anything easy isn't very good .

Haro3 is offline Anabolic Member
    hey i didnt take the time to read all the posts above just because im lazy lol but i've got some advice. i've framed for 3 years and ran equipment for quite a while as well. something that goes A LONGGGGG way with the journey men and foremans. dont act like you know shit if you dont. theres nothing more annoying than to give someone a job and have them fvck it up cuz they said they knew what they were doing and didnt actually know. so if you dont know something ask, if someone is taking the time to explain something even if you do know just listen. believe me they really hate "know it alls"

not saying you do this but it definately makes you look better if you dont!

Thread Information