DNoMac is offline Senior Member

iBook freezes when I unplug power

Almost everytime I take away the power cable my computer freezes. Sometimes it won't, or it will take a few minutes. I primarily notice it when I use the internet. Any ideas what the problem could be? I don't think it has anything to do with the battery because it stays powered, it just freezes (and I just bought a new one about a year ago).

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Are you working connected to an external display or working directly off the laptop?
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

Directly off of the laptop. It is even freezing occasionally while I'm plugged in. Not sure if it's just me, but I feel like it happens a lot either while I'm using Safari, or when I open it. I've ran the disk utility a few times, but I don't think it's helping. I also ran the hardware test a few weeks ago when the problem began and nothing was flagged. I'm hoping it will be an easy fix, because last time I took it to the Apple 'geniuses', it ended up costing me $300. This would be the third time I would have to send it in (was the logic board last time, and I believe the first time it was something to do with the logic board as well).

Restart your mac holdling down the command + S. (The apple key and the S key at the same time.) It will boot to a command line. When the command line finishes loading type in:

fsck -fy
    *press return to start the scan*

fsck will go through five scans and then return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:

** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK

If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

If it repairs anything run the scan again until you see it say the volume is OK.

When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.

Your computer reboot and start up normally.

If you run these scans and they come back OK. Try booting from a CD or from an external hard drive and see if it freezes when you unplug it.

If it freezes booting from another volume or CD that tells you it's the hardware not your OS.

Thanks Carlos, I'm gonna try it now. Just gotta write it all down cause I won't be able to reference this!

It came back ok the first time. I can't deal with anymore hardware problems, I need to get a new computer. I always used to brag about the quality of Macs, but they are proving to be no better than your average pc.

You have an iBook. The iBook is not the best computer Apple has made. The new MacBook and MacBook Pros are more stable.

Did you try booting from a CD and unplugging it to see if you have the same problem?

Also, if I remember correctly Apple had a replacement program for iBooks. There were a bad batch made with fautly logic boards. Maybe you have one. Search Apple's support site and enter your serial number and it'll tell you if you have one of the bad ones.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Sounds more like a software issue to me. When you change from external to internal power something is confusing the computer. Google it. See if others are having the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    You have an iBook. The iBook is not the best computer Apple has made. The new MacBook and MacBook Pros are more stable.

Did you try booting from a CD and unplugging it to see if you have the same problem?

Also, if I remember correctly Apple had a replacement program for iBooks. There were a bad batch made with fautly logic boards. Maybe you have one. Search Apple's support site and enter your serial number and it'll tell you if you have one of the bad ones.
    I'll try this. Fortunately, there is an apple store 10 minutes away so I can have it looked at by somebody more familiar. However, every time I take it in, I end up spending quite a bit. I'll see what they have to say...

dt1974 is offline New Member
    don't buy any more Apple IIe's!

Apple loses iBook G4 case; refunds may come...

In May, the Denmark Consumer Complaints Board said that it found evidence of a hidden original design defect in Apple's iBook G4 systems, which the Cupertino-based company repeatedly denied. The board has now ruled against Apple for the second time, finding that the company will have to refund money to customers for faulty computers. Affected iBooks lose power and the screen goes blank after just over one year's use, but notebook owners were told their warranty had expired and that they would have to pay for repairs performed. Thousands of users all over the world have tried to get Apple to acknowledge the fault and agree to take back the computers, according to the board, but all have failed. The Consumer Complaints Board now claims to have documentation proving the existence of a design fault, and decided in April that Danish consumers must be able to return computers with this fault to Apple.

Thread Information