Thread: No Pain No Gain

S431M7 is offline Banned

No Pain No Gain

I think most of us in this board have heard this phrase no pain no gain. But how factual is that statment, anyone ever wonder? Does it implies we only gain mass weight when we workout when our muscles are sore and painful? The reason I'm asking this question is because I'm wondering whether taking a break from workout is needed when our body is generally sore and painful.
    What's your thought on this topic?

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    This should be in the lounge.

Stiffness or pain is a result of micro tears in your muscle fibres, which in turn results in them growing under the repeated stress and weight.

Of course you have to take breaks working out, you have to listen to your body, overtraining is a real possibility to any athlete, especially bbers that push themselves every day and fail to rest.

You grow when you are resting, not when you are in the gym. pain is necessary, but it should never be to the point of injury or overtraining

kfrost06 is offline Banned
    Amorphic, you have some really good post! I was going to say almost the same thing.

S431M7 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorphic

Stiffness or pain is a result of micro tears in your muscle fibres, which in turn results in them growing under the repeated stress and weight.

Of course you have to take breaks working out, you have to listen to your body, overtraining is a real possibility to any athlete, especially bbers that push themselves every day and fail to rest.

You grow when you are resting, not when you are in the gym. pain is necessary, but it should never be to the point of injury or overtraining
    so basically u don't buy that crap no-pain no-gain since u believe the body needs to rest in order to grow (which I agree with u there) but it is not unusual to find a number of b**ers who believe in no-pain no-gain philosophy and I would like to hear there thoughts too.
    Last edited by S431M7; 08-31-2007 at 04:09 PM.

james21 is offline Anabolic Member
    Kind of like muscle isnt built in the gym

Merc.. is offline Steroidpedia
    Blog Entries
    This should be in the lounge.

Good post . You grow outside of the gym .....

Also lactate acid....( causes muscle soreness )

Pain is a indicator that you might be pushing to hard . Now there is normal muscle soreness but what kinda pain are we talkin about here ??

Merc.
    Last edited by Merc..; 08-31-2007 at 05:53 PM.

kfrost06 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by S431M7
    so basically u don't buy that crap no-pain no-gain since u believe the body needs to rest in order to grow (which I agree with u there) but it is not unusual to find a number of b**ers who believe in no-pain no-gain philosophy and I would like to hear there thoughts too.
    I quess it depends on the pain your talking about. I view the no pain no gain as pushing yourself when you'd rather quit, like getting that extra rep or forced rep on the bench. Doing a hard squat work out till your quads are screaming and burning! In that case, yes, well until you get to my age then you just can't push yourself that hard because you get injured to easy

S431M7 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kfrost06
    I quess it depends on the pain your talking about. I view the no pain no gain as pushing yourself when you'd rather quit, like getting that extra rep or forced rep on the bench. Doing a hard squat work out till your quads are screaming and burning! In that case, yes, well until you get to my age then you just can't push yourself that hard because you get injured to easy

if u read my first post u will know I associate such kind of pain with sore muscle pain. Per you response, however, u appear to be an avid propnenet of no-pain no-gain philosophy so long it do not lead to injury, is that correct?

mkv213 is offline Member
    I have muscle soreness everytime during the following days of training a specific muscle group. I hit 1 group per week. I have muscle pain because I constantly increase the intensity and weight every week. Even if it's only by 5 lbs more than the previous week. As long as intensity and weight continues to increase, the micro fibers are going to tear and rebuild to compensate for the increased load. The body re-adapts. It is good to take a break now and then, also to change up your routine. As I said, the body is adapting and compensating, you need to change it up to shock that adaptation, throw it off. Keep the body in a constant state of guessing while trainging and compensating for increased work load and intensity to grow. As long as your progressing in this manner, you should always feel some type of muscle soreness. So no pain no gain is true when looked at in that fashion. If it's pain from an injury, then you could actually lose due to time out.

Though there are those obsessed out there that don't listen to our bodies and train while injured. My shoulder has been jacked for over a year now. I think it's my rotator cuff. I can't really do any type of over head presses w/o pain. But I know that kind of pain isn't going to contribute to any type of gain. I basically, have just adapted and lift at different angles to take the load off of the injury. I need to take temp. time off to let it heal but that isn't going to happen until it has to happen (when I fck it up seriously). Sad but true. Guess I'm dedicated lol..or stupid. But the ladies like it so...what are you gonna do?

S431M7 is offline Banned
    interesting anecdote. I agree with your account to some extend. I think some of the fellowers here like amorphic are confusing the term pain with injury. We all know here no one could workout when he/she is injured but we can continue to workout however when our bodies are in some kind of pain or fatique for lack of a better word description.

Quote Originally Posted by mkv213
    I have muscle soreness everytime during the following days of training a specific muscle group. I hit 1 group per week. I have muscle pain because I constantly increase the intensity and weight every week. Even if it's only by 5 lbs more than the previous week. As long as intensity and weight continues to increase, the micro fibers are going to tear and rebuild to compensate for the increased load. The body re-adapts. It is good to take a break now and then, also to change up your routine. As I said, the body is adapting and compensating, you need to change it up to shock that adaptation, throw it off. Keep the body in a constant state of guessing while trainging and compensating for increased work load and intensity to grow. As long as your progressing in this manner, you should always feel some type of muscle soreness. So no pain no gain is true when looked at in that fashion. If it's pain from an injury, then you could actually lose due to time out.

Though there are those obsessed out there that don't listen to our bodies and train while injured. My shoulder has been jacked for over a year now. I think it's my rotator cuff. I can't really do any type of over head presses w/o pain. But I know that kind of pain isn't going to contribute to any type of gain. I basically, have just adapted and lift at different angles to take the load off of the injury. I need to take temp. time off to let it heal but that isn't going to happen until it has to happen (when I fck it up seriously). Sad but true. Guess I'm dedicated lol..or stupid. But the ladies like it so...what are you gonna do?

interesting anecdote. I agree with your account to some extend. I think some of the fellowers here like amorphic are confusing the term pain with injury. We all know here no one could workout when he/she is injured but we can continue to workout however when our bodies are in some kind of pain or fatique for lack of a better word description.
    Uhh, I'm starting to think you need to read my posts more clearly. I'm not confusing pain with injury, im making a point of defining the grey area between pain and injury since a lot of noobs to bbing make a mistake in differentiating the two. I am sore after every muscle group that i work out a week, but i know it is the proper kind of pain that i have from pushing myself safely. All im saying is that anyone who works out has to remember that pain doesnt just dictate your gains or that the more pain you have, the better the workout as that is simply not true.

S431M7 is offline Banned
    I aslo think u need to look at the difference between pain, injury, and overtraining. these three terms may or may not inflict any effect on the other; they are all independent of each other. I thought u should beware of their boundary especially when used in a conjunctive statment.

Uhh, I'm starting to think you need to read my posts more clearly. I'm not confusing pain with injury, im making a point of defining the grey area between pain and injury since a lot of noobs to bbing make a mistake in differentiating the two. I am sore after every muscle group that i work out a week, but i know it is the proper kind of pain that i have from pushing myself safely. All im saying is that anyone who works out has to remember that pain doesnt just dictate your gains or that the more pain you have, the better the workout as that is simply not true.

I aslo think u need to look at the difference between pain, injury, and overtraining. these three terms may or may not inflict any effect on the other; they are all independent of each other. I thought u should beware of their boundary especially when used in a conjunctive statment.
    How so?

Overtraining is a result of inadequate rest and fatigue on muscle groups that are worked too frequently. I see them as all connected.

Pain from >>> overtraining >>> which, with continual overtrainnig results in >>>> injury.

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    arnold refers to "the pain period" that must be surpassed in order to make true progress and to hurdle plateaus. I believe, as kfrost pointed out, that he's referring to the pain you feel during the end of a set when the pump in your muscle is so intense you want to just fall on the floor, but instead you keep going and pump out another few reps.

I absolutely think that intensifies the fiber tears in your muscles and can help maximize growth as opposed to stopping when it begins to hurt.

You've got to be in tune with your body and know your limits.. i can push myself to a point where i know I'll be okay, but i can also recognize if something doesn't feel right, in which case i may not even work out that day or at least not on the muscle group in question.

S431M7 is offline Banned
    interesting response. I agree w/ your sentiment. I think the idea in no-pain no-gain is for one to go beyond their plateaus as long the pain do no lead to injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Igifuno
    arnold refers to "the pain period" that must be surpassed in order to make true progress and to hurdle plateaus. I believe, as kfrost pointed out, that he's referring to the pain you feel during the end of a set when the pump in your muscle is so intense you want to just fall on the floor, but instead you keep going and pump out another few reps.

I absolutely think that intensifies the fiber tears in your muscles and can help maximize growth as opposed to stopping when it begins to hurt.

You've got to be in tune with your body and know your limits.. i can push myself to a point where i know I'll be okay, but i can also recognize if something doesn't feel right, in which case i may not even work out that day or at least not on the muscle group in question.
    Last edited by S431M7; 09-01-2007 at 08:24 PM.

S431M7 is offline Banned
    bump

PEWN is offline AR Addict
    Blog Entries
    i love these arguements.... its like going to a special ed school ... and trying to argue... lol...

Juicy J is offline Associate Member
    ^^^hahahahaha

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by pewntang
    i love these arguements.... its like going to a special ed school ... and trying to argue... lol...
    even if you win.. your still retarded.. >:[

lightwaytbaby is offline "Anabolic Reviews Affliction"

S431M7 is offline Banned
    idiotlightway,

don't u know how to express yourself in words but in pictures, what are you some illiterate picture learner?

idiotlightway,

don't u know how to express yourself in words but in pictures, what are you some illiterate picture learner?
    well.. i think u just assured us bout our oppinions of you.

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    idiotlightway,

Are you for real?? Dude, you should have someone proof-read your posts and threads for basic grammer, spelling, and retardedness.

Quote Originally Posted by Johny-too-small
    Are you for real?? Dude, you should have someone proof-read your posts and threads for basic grammer, spelling, and retardedness.
    dont.. actually think they teach people to proof read for that in compI

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    imadumass
    Last edited by Johny-too-small; 09-08-2007 at 07:46 PM.

39+1 is offline Banned
    I think most of us in this board have heard this phrase no pain no gain. But how factual is that statment, anyone ever wonder? Does it implies we only gain mass weight when we workout when our muscles are sore and painful? The reason I'm asking this question is because I'm wondering whether taking a break from workout is needed when our body is generally sore and painful.
    Yeah you need to rest or work a different body part. IMO when you are young you may not get sore fi your in shape but IMO i feel that i over trained many months at a time. by the time i wa s 22 i found that i only needed one day of legs and over the next few years i had great gains in size and stregth. I usaully threw up and was not walking very steady after the work out. But that was jst my experience learn to listen to your body.
    IMO no pain extends to the question possibly intends to strgthen you mentally. Are hurt or are you inujured. I mean you dont want to work you muscle until you tear a bicep or a pec do ya

ironjaw467 is offline New Member
    Good Ish In Here!!

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"

dante

"strength gains are stronly correlated with muscle gains, however, soreness has very little correlation with muscle gains"

why

"you can stand on the curb in your neighborhood, and do 1000 calf raises, and you will be extremely sore, and i gaurentee you didnt get bigger"

strength gains indicate muscle gains.....strength gains are a direct or indirect result of muscle gains......

if you are not sore, then your intensity sucks............however, just because your sore, doesnt mean that the stimulus to grow is proper.

training "smartly" and eating "smartly" leads to muscle gains

to recap, being sore lets you know you hit your muscles.........however, the soreness is not an indication of a proper stimulus.......soreness fading is not an indication that nutrition was proper enough for overcompinsation......
    Last edited by IronReload04; 09-15-2007 at 10:31 PM.

confusing so i deleted it
    Last edited by IronReload04; 09-15-2007 at 10:40 PM.

3bd
    3bd is offline Anabolic Member
    This is easy... pain is when I can only go half way up on up-right rows and my right shoulder screams to the point that I HAVE TO STOP or else risk even further injury. Sorness is when I do 1 - 2 reps on a WARM UP and everything feels better and is good-to-go afterwards. You should know this by now. Right now, I'm in pain.

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    My head hurts after reading this thread and yet I don't think that pain has led to any gain in intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by NotSmall
    My head hurts after reading this thread and yet I don't think that pain has led to any gain in intelligence.
    maybe u overtrained.

i dont lie man

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    I just downloaded the new retard checker from Google.

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    I just downloaded the new retard checker from Google.
    I think we can safely say that piece of software is superfluous to requirements in this instance...

Thread Information