Pooks is offline Anabolic Member

have we as a nation gotten more conservative the 6 years?

do politicians influence people, or do people influence politicans?

Too me it almost seems like the conservative politicans came first, and the people adjusted to them, to the people in power...

Maybe I was younger 6 years ago and more influenced by the teachings of left leaning teachers and saw the world thru a different prism. It seems like 6 years ago we were a nation more towards the left than we are today.

A lot of stuff that was frowned upon 6 years ago, such as machoism, etc seems to be more acceptable today.. and things frowned upon today like dressing skimpy (that southwest story) was more acceptable back than...

and here we are possibly on the verge of electing a democrat for president, when it seems culturally we're farther right as a nation than we were 6 years ago.

I guess everything works in cycles.. and i suppose if the democrats stay in office for the full 8 years,, a lot of people will adjust themselves maybe completely even unknowingly towards the left again.. who knows. speculation

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    Everything has shifted to the left, including the conservatives.

Pooks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos
    Everything has shifted to the left, including the conservatives.
    as far as the war goes.. but not really culturally,, i don't think

but than Isolationism is a conservative idea too.. Pat buchanan.. in that far right policy there aren't many wars.. its just tight borders and hiding from the world.

Serotonin is offline Member
    I feel ya Pooks. My lifestyle is about as off the charts as you can get. I am an active swinger, an atheist, and a huge proponent of bettering the welfare of the global community. I'm actually even going to Africa this summer for volunteer work in free clinics. (it will look good on med school apps but I actually really like helping those with nothing)

Now this is a 180 from how I was raised. I even joined the Navy at 18 because I was Captain Fvcking Patriot and had a hard-on for serving my country. Now when I watch TV or the news all I want to do is move to the UK or Canada. I get scared watching politics because none of them are even honest. They say what the masses want to hear, and the masses are really not that intelligent, fairly uneducated, and incredibly faith based and non-rational or empirical people.

Dems have always been more left... but they're trying to please a country that is damn near 50/50, so they still act "right" it seems.

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    interesting thread.... i don't know. i've always been facinated and perplexed by the world of politics for many reasons. one of the biggest is the honesty factor and the false influences politicians portray due to propaganda and the perspective they make the public take with thier views. i don't trust ANY of them, therfore i tend not to listen to them. i can't even trust a lot of what CNN or the news airs.

xero is offline Associate Member
    As a non-US citizen just observing from a distance I would say the US has undoubtedly become more conservative.

There are many small and obvious indicators that are easier to spot as an outsider, even on this board. From television and movies which punt the "family values", the recent banning of low cut jeans on woman somewhere is the US recently (saw on Jay Leno show other night), the intense patriotism debates that go on all the time. All reflect the current conservative trend.

I suppose 9/11 has a lot to do with it. As a nation, the impact of this attack has created significant insecurity in peoples minds and with that I suppose a need to be more conservative and less tolerant.

Cant say that any nation would react any differently, but nevertheless it is sad to see. It also has a big spin off effect on the rest of the world.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Empirically speaking, I would have to assume so. Was 9/11 the point of inflection? Perhaps.

customworksking is offline Associate Member
    watch this and u tell me ! http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

xero is offline Associate Member
    Examples of the crazy trend towards conservatism:

"A federally funded abstinence program suggests that HIV can be transmitted through tears. An Alabama legislator proposes a bill to ban all books by gay authors. The Texas House passes a bill banning suggestive cheerleading. And nobody laughs at any of it, or even points out that, in the latter case, having Texas ban suggestive cheerleading is like having Nebraska ban corn."

Read the full article here http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ0207GREETINGS
    Actually very funny but makes you think.

Thread Information