Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries

Another dog question (training)

My dog is pissing me off - he keeps sheeting in the house. I take him out like a mad man... seriously, all the time.

this morning, we got up - went outside, he pissed and dumped... went to the store came back. 5 minutes later he disappeared and dumped at the top of the stairs. wtf?

anyway, i'm reading about training and the book i have says not to scold the dog if you find sheet in the house because he's not gonna know why you're mad at him and never hit him or put his nose up to it because he'll just think you're unpredicatble and he won't trust you and bla bla bla. it says to instead praise the hell out of him when he goes outside. i'm startint to wonder if this is sound advice because how the hell is he gonna know that i'm pissed that he went in the house if i don't scold the little sumbich?

advice?

IG

juicejunkie2 is offline Associate Member
    You don't scold him unless you catch him in the act ... if you yell at him after the fact, the dog will not know why you're yelling at him and consider you unpredictable and fear you. One of the things you can start doing is schedualing his feeding times along with walks an hour later .. and don't stray from that schedule... along with the ton of praise when he goes outdoors. don't leave food or water out when not scheduled feeding time ... till they get more trained. Hope that helps

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    thanks it does help. this is what i've been reading but the confirmation makes me feel like i'm doing the right thing.

so, i'm assuming you have exp w/ training dogs... when do they typically get the picture of not going in the house? also, if you don't catch him in the act but you know he just did it like a minute ago, can you still scold him or has that opportunity slipped away?

IG

billybambam is offline Banned
    I will PM you some advice & Training methods

Geeezer is offline Senior Member
    I have 2 dogs that do the same thing.

i think that not scolding thing is total bull sh^t. my family has owned 4 dogs. everyone we get is trained not to go in the house quickly. even if we didnt catch the dog in the act, we would tell grab her, bring her over to the sh^t/ piss stick her nose in it and give her ass one good pop with a "NO!" then when u go outside definitely give lots of praise in a happy voice. people who say the dog doesnt know what it did when u catch it after the act are wrong. within a week if u do this and u see sh^t somewhere in the house and call ur dogs name the dog will have his/her tail between their legs and will refuse to come to u bc they know what they did. and btw all of our dogs love us and people, punishing them and teaching them rules doesnt make them hate u as long as u treat them well when they're good.

Pooks is offline Anabolic Member
    My dog sucks too like that.

He sheets outside.. and he usually peeses outside also..

BUT..

ever so often when i go to the bathroom, he'll sneak into my bedroom, n take a leak there.

than when i give him the WTF eye..
    he starts to growl at me..

cause he knows he's supposed to do it outside..
    but than he'll keep doing this anyways...

dupa95 is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    I catch em in the act grab em by the back of the neck. Like mommy use to carry him. Then holler OUTSIDE.Then dop him on the grass. Only need to do this about 6 7 times. All is potty trained so to speak. Firm NOT abuseive is the key. Also remember when there pups. They go when they get up after they play and after they eat. So for the first 6 mounths you need to look for the signs. It's alot of work but oh so worth it.

scottish is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooks
    My dog sucks too like that.

He sheets outside.. and he usually peeses outside also..

BUT..

ever so often when i go to the bathroom, he'll sneak into my bedroom, n take a leak there.

cause he knows he's supposed to do it outside..
    but than he'll keep doing this anyways...

and when he growls at you, you dont put the boots to him? He's showing his dominance over you. Hes never going to quit.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    When we were kids my mom would push the dogs face in his poo, yell "what did you do" then slap him on the @$$. I thought it was being really mean but that dog was house trained in about a week flat.

scottish is offline Associate Member
    Never let them out of your site. They only dissapear to get into trouble or go to the bathroom. My Rotty never leaves my side.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    You have to lead my example so maybe you should start poohing in your backyard so your dog can see what to do...I'm kidding. Please don't do that for the sake of your neighbors.

It doesn't take long for them to pick up on the shatting outside .. unless your dog's a little retarded.. lol. The comment about yelling and sticking the nose in it BS ... you don't want a "afraid of you" mentality on the part of the dog .. they'll pick up on the alpha male thing by other means. Keep regular timed feeds with a walk once finished. Also a walk first thing in the morning. There's nothing worse then an untrained dog .. it takes daily work to train your dog .. be it potty training or otherwise. I had a Rotty up until 2 years ago when he passed away at the age of 11yo and I must admit he was smarter and better behaved then most people we come across now days. Good luck man .. spend that time and don't get frustrated with your pup and yell or beat it.. it's really worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by dupa95
    I catch em in the act grab em by the back of the neck. Like mommy use to carry him. Then holler OUTSIDE.Then dop him on the grass. Only need to do this about 6 7 times. All is potty trained so to speak. Firm NOT abuseive is the key. Also remember when there pups. They go when they get up after they play and after they eat. So for the first 6 mounths you need to look for the signs. It's alot of work but oh so worth it.
    As Dupa says .. FIRM IS the key word and they'll pick up the alpha male.

Quote Originally Posted by scottish
    and when he growls at you, you dont put the boots to him? He's showing his dominance over you. Hes never going to quit.

Agreed ... growling at the owner is a no no.

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    That whole they don't know is BS. When my dog does something wrong adn we call his name he comes to us head low tail in between the legs. They know oh yes they know!

Quote Originally Posted by Renesis
    That whole they don't know is BS. When my dog does something wrong adn we call his name he comes to us head low tail in between the legs. They know oh yes they know!
    They know they fvcked up .. they just don't know WHAT they fvcked up... specially a pup. Ofcourse they'll come with their head low and tail between their legs when you call them in a certain tone of voice .. next time when they piss on your rug call them in a playful voice and see if they "know" that they pissed on the rug so they're in big Shet!

Quote Originally Posted by juicejunkie2
    It doesn't take long for them to pick up on the shatting outside .. unless your dog's a little retarded.. lol. The comment about yelling and sticking the nose in it BS ... you don't want a "afraid of you" mentality on the part of the dog .. they'll pick up on the alpha male thing by other means. Keep regular timed feeds with a walk once finished. Also a walk first thing in the morning. There's nothing worse then an untrained dog .. it takes daily work to train your dog .. be it potty training or otherwise. I had a Rotty up until 2 years ago when he passed away at the age of 11yo and I must admit he was smarter and better behaved then most people we come across now days. Good luck man .. spend that time and don't get frustrated with your pup and yell or beat it.. it's really worth it.

this is under the assumption that all dogs have the instinct and intelligence to understand immediately. MOST DOGS DONT! and if u give a sh^t about ur house smelling bad and ur carpets getting stained u wont listen to this advice. its just like having a kid. do u ignore it when ur kid walks inside the house with muddy shoes all over the carpet and then praise him when he doesnt?? NO, u punish him/....and when he does the right thing u make sure he/she knows its appreciated. a dog wont have the "afraid of u mentality" from training him/her as long as u treat it really well otherwise.

Blog Entries
    I dont know about traning but ALWAYS listen to the vets instructions on diet;

http://www.filecabi.net/video/Dog_Diet.html

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juicejunkie2
    They know they fvcked up .. they just don't know WHAT they fvcked up... specially a pup. Ofcourse they'll come with their head low and tail between their legs when you call them in a certain tone of voice .. next time when they piss on your rug call them in a playful voice and see if they "know" that they pissed on the rug so they're in big Shet!
    Nah buddy we call him in the same tone whether he gets in trouble or it is time to take him out, it is always a firm voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Renesis
    Nah buddy we call him in the same tone whether he gets in trouble or it is time to take him out, it is always a firm voice.

LOL ... whatever you say bro ... I'm not here to argue with you.. the OP can decide what he wants to do as I care less. Your advice isn't sound though IMO but whatever.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Igifuno
    anyway, i'm reading about training and the book i have says not to scold the dog if you find sheet in the house because he's not gonna know why you're mad at him
    Dogs have an attention span of about 10 seconds. If you reward or punish them for something they did, you gotta do it within 10 seconds of when they did it, or else forget it.
    It works the same for you--suppose you psssed off your girlfriend by saying something stupid, and then a week later she hits you for it. You say, WTF? Your dog is thinking the same thing.

If you want your dog to learn to sheet outside, well, you gotta watch 'em 24/7. Take 'em outside on a regular schedule, praise 'em when they dump outside. Watch 'em 24/7 inside, look for signs that they need to dump, then take 'em out, praise 'em when they cooperate. If you catch 'em in the act of dumping inside, then take 'em outside while they're in the process, and praise 'em as they dump outside. Yes, you'll be furious, but expressing your anger isn't gonna teach the dog anything.

Anyway, praise or punish within 10 seconds, or forget it, because you dog will.

and never hit him or put his nose up to it because he'll just think you're unpredicatble and he won't trust you and bla bla bla.
    Yep. NEVER hit your dog. Never.

it says to instead praise the hell out of him when he goes outside. i'm startint to wonder if this is sound advice because how the hell is he gonna know that i'm pissed that he went in the house if i don't scold the little sumbich?
    Letting your dog know how angry you are makes no difference. Giving the dog a "positive" association with outside dumping and a negative association with inside dumping will give him all the information he needs. (Plus, you gotta give him lots of opportunity to do his duty outside, or else you may as well not even bother).

Me, I'm a former USAF dog trainer.
    http://www.defenselink.mil/home/feat...ogs/index.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    Dogs have an attention span of about 10 seconds. If you reward or punish them for something they did, you gotta do it within 10 seconds of when they did it, or else forget it.
    It works the same for you--suppose you psssed off your girlfriend by saying something stupid, and then a week later she hits you for it. You say, WTF? Your dog is thinking the same thing.

If you want your dog to learn to sheet outside, well, you gotta watch 'em 24/7. Take 'em outside on a regular schedule, praise 'em when they dump outside. Watch 'em 24/7 inside, look for signs that they need to dump, then take 'em out, praise 'em when they cooperate. If you catch 'em in the act of dumping inside, then take 'em outside while they're in the process, and praise 'em as they dump outside. Yes, you'll be furious, but expressing your anger isn't gonna teach the dog anything.

Anyway, praise or punish within 10 seconds, or forget it, because you dog will.

Yep. NEVER hit your dog. Never.

Letting your dog know how angry you are makes no difference. Giving the dog a "positive" association with outside dumping and a negative association with inside dumping will give him all the information he needs. (Plus, you gotta give him lots of opportunity to do his duty outside, or else you may as well not even bother).

Me, I'm a former USAF dog trainer.
    http://www.defenselink.mil/home/feat...ogs/index.html
    hmmmmm maybe when mother was beating the dog was a bad idea

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooks
    Growling is a big no-no.

Here's a quick fix to that problem . . . but ya gotta do it decisively, no fooling around.
    When your dog growls at you, you gotta push him down to the floor (get some help if need be to keep from getting bit) without hitting him. You hold him down firmly enough so you're sure he can't turn and nip at you. Then, you growl as convincingly as you can right into his ear, as loudly as you can. Do this for about 30 seconds, this is how the "Alpha" dog in packs reminds other dogs that he's #1.

Then, be quiet for another 30 seconds, then pet & stroke him for another 30, with a bit of praise. This will tell your dog that you are the source of authority as well as the source of pleasure. He might need reminding a time or two; so don't be reluctant to show him who's boss (this is the dog's way of doing things out in the wild; you can do it right there in the privacy of your own living room).

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    i agree with not being overly aggressive and putting theuir nose near it (never on it). also you may want to watch your tone because if im ever yelling at my girlfriend or at the tv watching a game or something my dogs immediately put their head down and think their in big trouble when theyve done nothing wrong. Yeah i had them house trained in no time but i feel bad when they fear me just because i raise my voice.

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    Growling is a big no-no.

Here's a quick fix to that problem . . . but ya gotta do it decisively, no fooling around.
    When your dog growls at you, you gotta push him down to the floor (get some help if need be to keep from getting bit) without hitting him. You hold him down firmly enough so you're sure he can't turn and nip at you. Then, you growl as convincingly as you can right into his ear, as loudly as you can. Do this for about 30 seconds, this is how the "Alpha" dog in packs reminds other dogs that he's #1.

Then, be quiet for another 30 seconds, then pet & stroke him for another 30, with a bit of praise. This will tell your dog that you are the source of authority as well as the source of pleasure. He might need reminding a time or two; so don't be reluctant to show him who's boss (this is the dog's way of doing things out in the wild; you can do it right there in the privacy of your own living room).
    lol... are you the dog whisperer? this is good advice!

Blog Entries
    Growling is a big no-no.

You hold him down firmly enough so you're sure he can't turn and nip at you. Then, you growl as convincingly as you can right into his ear, as loudly as you can. Do this for about 30 seconds, this is how the "Alpha" dog in packs reminds other dogs that he's #1.
    Where is Goodcents, i want to try this on him !

Thread Information