Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries

Actually Liking Your Job?

How many people here can say they actually like doing what they do? I mean, every time you wake up, your happy/excited to go do whatever is that you do.

It seems roughly 75% people actually don't like their jobs and work just for the paycheck.

Like most, I love money lol, but I was told from a man who loves what he does, and he said "Its great, I cant believe Im actually getting paid for something I would do for free."

Where do you guys fall into? Love/hate job? Just trying to make it to the next check?

The job I would prefer pays around 40Gs which to me, isnt alot, especially to a job Im capable of,but not prefer, which pays around 75Gs. So im kinda stuck between a rock and a hard spot.

Also, whats considered good money to you? 50Gs? 90Gs?
    Last edited by xlxBigSexyxlx; 10-14-2007 at 01:28 PM.

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    personally, i love my job and get very excited about it. i wouldn't do it for free but love it nevertheless... i'm very good at what i do which helps. what most people in my field find difficult, i find pretty easy. the money is good as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Igifuno
    personally, i love my job and get very excited about it. i wouldn't do it for free but love it nevertheless... i'm very good at what i do which helps. what most people in my field find difficult, i find pretty easy. the money is good as well.

May I ask what it is you do?

Blog Entries
    i'm in property management.... i manage multiple residential apartment communities from hoods to luxury. negotiate contracts, hire/fire, motivate, do marketing, recriuting, budget analysis and so much more.. tons of fun.

Blog Entries
    how 'bout you big, what do you do?

Blog Entries
    how 'bout you big, what do you do?

Well, in college now, with a part time job doing office work, which I dont care todo, just getting a little spending money
    But Im at the point where I have all my basics and then some done with, so Im trying to decide ya know. and its really bugging for some reason

so this smester I have a light school schedule and got a job, cuz I really dont wanna pay for classes that I dont need or wont help me.
    lol, and thats where I stand

Kingweb50 is offline Member
    Im in the medical field and I used to love it but the long hours and all the stress that comes with it now I dont enjoy it as much but I love the paycjeck that comes with it

Machin3 is offline Associate Member
    im coming up on the end of my first year residency in the pharmacy...I must say I do enjoy my job to an extent.....Its upsetting at times how ignorant and stupid our society can be. Speaking from experience, I must say some people act like animals with no respect for anyone but i guess thats retail for you

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    I'm burned out on tanning. I hate the "regulars" and it does not stimulate my mind so I'm dumping it as soon as I can find someone. I love the body jewelry industry, always something new and I custom make most of my jewelry so the word gets around

Blog Entries
    that sounds like fun.. so you own a tanning salon at the moment?

that sounds like fun.. so you own a tanning salon at the moment?
    and a body jewelry store. Tanning is seasonal as hell

Goodcents...Is the tanning industry seasonal everywhere in the US I live in a realy beachy city and I was interested in opening a salon I dont know what part of the country you live in but could it be different everywhere? what do you think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingweb50
    Goodcents...Is the tanning industry seasonal everywhere in the US I live in a realy beachy city and I was interested in opening a salon I dont know what part of the country you live in but could it be different everywhere? what do you think about that.
    You would get so much puzzy in so cali owning a salon but the industry sucks, regulations, fees and negative press California are fuking hard asses on regs too

We get really hot chics in and then we get nasty pigs that smell like rotten puzzywhite trash somnetimes too poster childs for not tanning come in every fuking day with their wrinkly ass faces old bltches too.

Blog Entries
    uhhg.. i can see how that would get old..

do you get those old ass chain smoker ladies who are dark as hell from tanning every other day? lol.

uhhg.. i can see how that would get old..

do you get those old ass chain smoker ladies who are dark as hell from tanning every other day? lol.
    Have you been in my salon? I have some nasty ones! You look at them from the back and think ummm then they turn around and you actually say out loud "ah fuk, wtf?"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goodcents
    Have you been in my salon? I have some nasty ones! You look at them from the back and think ummm then they turn around and you actually say out loud "ah fuk, wtf?"
    awww i hate when that happens...

Yeah I was thinking about it just as a buisness I own but I wouldnt work there since I have a job I have to keep. I just wanted somthing to make money on the side and I thought it might be a good idea but I need to learn more about it first.

dupa95 is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just landed the job i always wanted. I will be cutting meat in a big chain grocey store. In about 1 year I will be managing the store. Ilove cuttin meat been doing it for 19 years now. I' m on vacation in one more week I start my new jow I can not wait.

Don't get me wrong, when it is going good you are in heaven. Hot dark chics that just love to date a salon owner and I've lost track how many times I've taken a "break"The industry has went wayyyyy down since I first bought this salon. You are always having to get the newest most expensive beds just to keep up all the while making the same money, that's why I'm dumping it very soon and opening more "alternative" stores.

Your employees will steal you blind while you are gone and you will work longer hours than you ever have in your life something is always going wrong and employees suck donkey nuts

the more you talk about it the less appealing it seems to me Im going to have to rethink it all now

Imagine 8-12 chics all pmsing at the same time and you have to get them to work

lightwaytbaby is offline "Anabolic Reviews Affliction"
    Im a firefighter/Paramedic, and i can honestly say i love my job, and look forward to going into work every day...its very respected, rewarding, and what can i say chicks love it...

importeater91 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lightwaytbaby
    Im a firefighter/Paramedic, and i can honestly say i love my job, and look forward to going into work every day...its very respected, rewarding, and what can i say chicks love it...
    that is what im tring to get in. the test isnt for awhile but imgonna start to study for it. how long have you been in it for and what did you have to do to get in?

pumpd4lif is offline Senior Member
    i am a selfemployed flooring contracter an i love what i do altho at times it can be hard, working for urself is were it is at (i made 3,000$ last week alone )<---that helps aswell

MotoXracer is offline Associate Member
    I was just having this conversation with my dad a couple weeks ago. He is about a year away from retirement and I have about 5 years working in engineering. I don't hate my job but I don't love it either, which I guess is good. I make good money and my job is as stressful as taking a nap, so I shouldn't really complain but it's just boring to me now.

My dad basically said to me that people feel change. You feel the change when getting a raise, or switching jobs, or if your pay goes down but when work is consistent and steady, you start to get bored.

I just see my job as a stepping stone. I make income from my job to do things that I like, such as day trading on the side, and looking for RE deals and thinking of business ideas.

I shyed away from trying to work at something I love for fear that I wouldn't like it any more. I love motorcycles and motocross, but I would have to think long and hard about getting into that industry. I like working on my bike because it's mine, working for some one else would take the fun out of it for me.

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    I own 5 rental properties (10 units in all) and that can be a real pain in the ass. But their probably is not a better or more secure investment for retirement. I buy a house a year, might increase later.

I also own a construction company, we mostly do roofing, siding, insulation, windows/doors and remodeling. For the most part, I like the work and I'm good at it. I've always been a really fast, motivated worker. I enjoy chasing the work, doing the sales.

The only thing I get fusterated with is employee's. I hate when I leave the job to meet with customers and nothing gets done

But, I'd do anything if the pay was right. I've just never been the type of person to get a job you "like" for minimal pay as long as you can mow your grass every friday, have your mom over for dinner on saturday and go to church on sunday. My life is chaos some times, but I manage and always find a way to make it work.

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    I've been a manager at a gym for years now. I get paid good money to fill out contracts and talk about exercise and nutrition all day while starting at hot girls. I love my job.

WEBB is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    i have loved my job since i started in the trade 11 years ago...i work with my hands and solve problems for guys and they are so relieved and thankful....i am on call 24/7 and recieve roughly 70-80 phone calls a day and when i get called at 11pm and have to stop everything and go to work for 14-20 hours straight i get pumped up cause i know i am the only one that can fix it and get things running again and save the companies millions....

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    Im an architect and own my own business. I draw something, build it, then sell it. I deal with the upper class, they can be real pricks when they have to part with their money. I like what I do, however, I am not defined by my work. I am an artist, and I love anything I make...to bad I have to depend on people to buy it. My wife is a lawyer, and when we decide to have kids, Im quitting everything to be a stay-at-home-dad. Thats the life Im looking forward to.

RANA is offline 100% American Beef
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Johny-too-small
    Im an architect and own my own business. I draw something, build it, then sell it. I deal with the upper class, they can be real pricks when they have to part with their money. I like what I do, however, I am not defined by my work. I am an artist, and I love anything I make...to bad I have to depend on people to buy it. My wife is a lawyer, and when we decide to have kids, Im quitting everything to be a stay-at-home-dad. Thats the life Im looking forward to.
    Come build me my house for cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by rana173
    Come build me my house for cheap!
    He's on "vacation" right now

3bd
    3bd is offline Anabolic Member
    i'm an engineer in the mining industry. it has it's pros and cons. i'm paid well but always on call. i do like my job, most of the time anyway, but there are times i wish i had done something different. i get to wear jeans and t-shirts to work every day to work along with everyone else - i love that. we have no office politics and everyone is a "he-man" in his own regard. i deal with ironworkers and millwrights mostly, and these men can build anything. it alwasy amazes me. i have never met a man in my life who says he can't weld, yet i've only met a handful that truly can. i can't weld either, but i know a good one when i see one, and they truly are rare and few and far between.

honestly though, not trying to be a tough guy either, if i could do it all over again i would love to take a second chance at flying jets in the military or with special forces. i would've loved to be a navy seal or a naval aviator. fvck the money, that's a once in a life time gig. did you see in the news lately where special forces are now getting six figure bonouses to re-up so that the u.s. military can compete with private security services?

MotoXracer is offline Associate Member
    A good blog entry about how much is enough.
    http://stanleybing.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/

How Green Is My Valley?

I saw a really good movie this past weekend, 3:10 to Yuma. Four tickets cost me more than $40. Popcorn and soda came to about $20. Parking was free, though. But I digress.

The movie is a super-macho shoot-em-up based on an old short story by Elmore Leonard about a classic confrontation between good and evil in the old West. There’s a lot to recommend it, but that’s not what I’m here to talk about today.

One line in it got me thinking. A Pinkerton, played by the gracefully aging, well-chiseled Peter Fonda, has been hired to guard a payroll shipment destined to be the target of the ultra-smooth and charming bandit, Russell Crowe. Someone is extolling the toughness and tenacity of the Pinkerton, who has been gut-shot but is still walking around. “That’s why they pay them $18 a day,” he says.

Eighteen dollars a day. Top wage in the late 19th Century, I guess. Elsewhere in the movie, you see signs that offer a meal for two bits, i.e. twenty-five cents. The meal probably consisted of a steak, potatoes, bread, some strong drink, stuff like that. Pretty good deal. Except most people were making a couple bucks a day, so maybe not. Maybe that was more than some could afford. In any event, it compares favorably to the $245 my son and I spent at Peter Luger the other night for basically the same fare. But then, I make more than $18 a day, I think… although in 2007 dollars? Who knows?

I’ve always been fascinated by what things cost, what they used to cost, whether what they cost now bears any relationship to how currency has changed, shifted over the years. When my dad parked cars for a living in the 1930s, he made $24 a week. Later, as a tenured professor at a major university, he made closer to $40,000 a year. For that wage, plus some income he picked up on consulting on the side, he was able to afford a big house in the suburbs. Of course, that house was purchased in the mid-60s for $34,500. Last year we sold it for a whole lot more than that.

Housing has gone crazy in my lifetime. When I was growing up, there was an entity in the very poshest spicy neighborhood in the county. It was called “the $100,000 house,” and, since it often sits on acres of land, it now goes for between five and ten million dollars.

Then there’s the automobile. My first car was a Ford Maverick, which came in a color called St. Louis Blue. It cost me $1999 fully loaded. At that time, the most expensive car you could get was a Cadillac, which retailed for about $6000. I don’t have to tell you what even the cheapest vehicle comes in at today, although it’s my perception that prices are now moderating a bit. Like, you can get a pretty good car for less than $40,000 now.

Don’t even start on the price of the gasoline that goes into them. When I was in college, which is not all that long ago, ladies and gentlemen, you could get a cheap gas called Merit for 25-cents per gallon. But you don’t have to go that far back to be shocked. Before the oil industry discovered that we’ll pay just about anything to keep driving — before Hurricane Katrina — people were discussing whether the $2.00 gallon was very far away. Many people said that was impossible. Now we know differently.

It’s not all about inflation, though. It’s just fascinating to ponder what money is worth, here and everywhere. I just read an article about life in Poland a few years ago, where some author was trying to purchase a house for several hundred million zlotys, I think it was. That’s a lot of zlotys for a very small house.

In the works of 19th Century English authors — where the value of money is a huge subject, by the way — individuals are often judged on the size of their income. A very, very wealthy aristocrat in the works of Anthony Trollope may be worth several thousand pounds a year. A perfectly respectable gentleman may, however, get by quite nicely on several hundred. And a cleric may subsist on sixty or seventy. How is that possible? Has the pound shrunk in value so dramatically? Certainly, it’s been devalued several times since 1860, but to that extent? And how much does a person need to make right now to be considered wealthy?

Are you wealthy? I’ll bet there are people who think you are. But could you, like a mogul I know, afford to have a fleet of 15 gorgeous cars simply because you like them? Could you, like Google’s (GOOG) Sergei Brin and Larry Page, go flying around on your own jumbo jet? Or are you rich because you can pick up anything under $500 without thinking about it? Or because you’re the only one with three cows in your village?

I do okay. But sometimes, well, I just don’t know. Last weekend, for instance, I went to a party out on the west coast. The hosts were a couple who made some money in hedge funds and real estate. Their ranch sits on about 100 acres in the middle of a Northern California mountain range. They have a barn and a bunch of stalls. They just finished building their home in the Italianate style, stucco, yellow brick, that kind of thing. There’s an infinity pool in the back. This is one of eight homes they own around the world. Our host said to me, “We’re doing okay, but we’re not as well-off as the folks we know in Jacksonville, Florida. Those people are really loaded!”

I’m sure the people in Jacksonville, by the way, feel the same about all those rich folks hunkering down in, say, Beverly Hills, Grosse Pointe or the Amalfi Coast. With an entry-level Maybach sedan clocking in at more than $335,000, it’s possible that nobody has enough money to make ends meet these days.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    I liked my job just fine. Software Engineer for a small contracting firm in San Diego, CA. I only interned for the summer but it was great and they loved me. I had freedom and whenever I did something people knew it, bad or good. I don't know if i love it like a dream job, but it is not like im not up for work in the morning, unless i had three hours of sleep.

But now I am back at school finishing my masters heh.

Prol is offline Associate Member
    Well am a 3rd generation Engineer in road construction i can truely say "i love my job" ,I really do but its like a relationship not all is roses ...you got your good days and bad ......Family owns an Asphalt plant ,i have my own side company i own the paving equipment .....i have working for my about 15 people any given day .......You dont know what headaches are until you have to deal with emps .......You turn away one sec and they all in harmony just stop working for no reason lol....but thats just life and work ..........Either way just because you love your job doesnt mean its perfect your gona have to learn to deal with it but hey ....theres nothing like checking your account and knowing that dream car,house,boat,vacation,party, or whatever is getting closer

qualityclrk1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prol
    Well am a 3rd generation Engineer in road construction i can truely say "i love my job" ,I really do but its like a relationship not all is roses ...you got your good days and bad ......Family owns an Asphalt plant ,i have my own side company i own the paving equipment .....i have working for my about 15 people any given day .......You dont know what headaches are until you have to deal with emps .......You turn away one sec and they all in harmony just stop working for no reason lol....but thats just life and work ..........Either way just because you love your job doesnt mean its perfect your gona have to learn to deal with it but hey ....theres nothing like checking your account and knowing that dream car,house,boat,vacation,party, or whatever is getting closer
    i totally understand where your coming from about bossing around temps....our company hires them out when theres been a screw up....i have to take them to our customers and they'll sort through the products for the defect, and i'll have to try and walk them through it....and these are grown ass men and women....i think maybe a good one run down on the situation and then maybe answer 3 or 4 questions and they'll be good to go...........NEVER works like that....i have to babysit these people, cuz like you said, they'll just STOP working......I'm a normally super cool guy and it takes a lot to get me mad, especially when its something not personal related...but these people are on the verge of getting me fired....for smacking the shit out of them!!!!!!!!!

Firefighter/EMT, absolutely love my job.

Red

Expat is offline Female Member
    Blog Entries
    I am a role player for our US Military and some coalition forces. I play the role of a Middle Eastern woman dressed in traditional Afghani or Iraqi clothing. I attempt to teach them Middle Eastern sensitivities (proper search methods and that men are not to touch me or leer or touch my head gear) and that I am to be searched in an isolated area if possible. I also attempt lure them away by speaking/yelling at them in Arabic(they should not allow me to draw them out from the gate) and either blow them up or shoot them, or steal weapons during firefights. And yes I love my job...if I can save one of our guys from doing something that jepordizes himself or the team...that gives me great satisfaction...and at index/after action reviews they give the best hugs and express their gratitude for the training!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information