qualityclrk1 is offline Senior Member

Retiring then dieing

Two days after an aunt of mine retired from working for more than 40 years- she was told she had terminal cancer.......she passed away a couple of years ago....and now....my moms boyfriend, whom i've come close to, is set to retire within the next two years and he just found out after thanksgiving that he has emphysema...i don't think emphysema is necessarily ALWAYS fatal- but its def. not a good thing...People work all their lives and then crazy shit like this happens to them- why does this shit happen to good people? I just don't get how life works...My aunt was one of the hardest working women i've ever met, and this guy had more plans after retirement than i'd ever heard anybody talk about...he's got plenty of money to enjoy things in life now, but he'll never be able to do half the things he wanted...One thing i learn from this and i hope everyone of you will learn is that life is waaay to precious, and make sure you're always enjoying what you're doing- don't ever have a job you don't enjoy because you never know if "after i get done here" will ever actually happen...i know this is beat into everyone's skull- but enjoy everyday...life is too short, and keep the ones you love close- because they won't always be here either....

Ajc330 is offline Senior Member
    thanks for the uplifting speech, it gets me to ponder a little

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    I understand where you are coming from. I have seen things like that happen a few times. One, in particular, was a friend who had gone out to the Middle East to get a job so that he could buy a villa in Spain for his retirement. He reached his target and handed in his notice (12 weeks) and quietly went about his rundown untill leaving. A few weeks later he felt a bit poorly and went to the doctors. Diagnosed with liver cancer he was dead before his notice was up!!!

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    the simple cold fact is that life is unfair. it sucks, but thats why you make the best of it

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    I guessing that dude was a smoker, so you can't blame it all of life sucking and being unfair. Depending on how bad his emphesema he could live for a number of years.

Thread Information