Thread: Job problem

suprman09 is offline Associate Member

Job problem

Hello. I am currently a college senior looking for a job. I have been on several interviews, and have had a few offers. I was offered a job with one of the biggest insurance companies in the world in the public accouting department working with portfolios. The job seems pretty good. Starting salary is pretty good as well as the benefits and hours. I also got offered a second interview for a bank working in the hedge fund services branch. I would be a portfolio accountant, and I think I might like this a little bit more. I have to let the insurance company know about 3 days before I go on the second interview for the bank. I tried to extend the deadline for the insurance company but they only gave me an extra week. I am having a tough time making a decision, and was wondering if anyone has any advice? Anyone here know a lot about the finance industry? As far as pay I would think the bank would pay more but I am not sure. Anyone know the average salary for this field of work? Thanks guys.

if you're job title contains the word accountant in either i would say that you will probably be making very similar salaries to start off.

you should make ur decision based on:

1. which one would give you more opportunities in the future most likely
    2. which one you think you are more interested in

so it sounds like you actually extended the period the insurance company gave you... so you will be able to have the 2nd interview with the bank b4 you have to notify the insurance company?

hedge funds and anything related to the banking industry and especially if you can get into international hedging or international finance for the bank at all are very interesting to me. im an accountancy/finance major and in my opinion that would be my choice if all the other things are comparable.

39+1 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by suprman09 View Post
    Hello. I am currently a college senior looking for a job. I have been on several interviews, and have had a few offers. I was offered a job with one of the biggest insurance companies in the world in the public accouting department working with portfolios. The job seems pretty good. Starting salary is pretty good as well as the benefits and hours. I also got offered a second interview for a bank working in the hedge fund services branch. I would be a portfolio accountant, and I think I might like this a little bit more. I have to let the insurance company know about 3 days before I go on the second interview for the bank. I tried to extend the deadline for the insurance company but they only gave me an extra week. I am having a tough time making a decision, and was wondering if anyone has any advice? Anyone here know a lot about the finance industry? As far as pay I would think the bank would pay more but I am not sure. Anyone know the average salary for this field of work? Thanks guys.
    I see bank exects a lot and they dont get paid for shit hello they just gave out loans that day and how many more are the stressing about defaulting????
    well i guess it back to the cardiologist for them

I did extend the period by only a week(Dec. 14th), but the 2nd interview is Dec 17th. I would think that the Hedge fund job probably has more opportunity in the future, and I am more interested in it but I do not want to leave myself jobless. I just wish I knew salary information for the second job.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I did extend the period by only a week(Dec. 14th), but the 2nd interview is Dec 17th. I would think that the Hedge fund job probably has more opportunity in the future, and I am more interested in it but I do not want to leave myself jobless. I just wish I knew salary information for the second job.
    Don't panic, this will only decide the rest of your life !!!

*EDIT misread the ord post
    Last edited by DSM4Life; 12-02-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Lexed is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    you have to find a job that you love even if you get payed little. If you dont enjoy your job your gonna be dreading everyday comming into work.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Why not except job 1. Your not going to start the next day. They go on the interview for job 2 and see what happens. You can always call job 1 and tell you changed your mind

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    Why not except job 1. Your not going to start the next day. They go on the interview for job 2 and see what happens. You can always call job 1 and tell you changed your mind
    I was thinking about that, but wouldn't it make me look unprofessional? I think you are supposed to cancel all interviews once you accept a job.

I was thinking about that, but wouldn't it make me look unprofessional? I think you are supposed to cancel all interviews once you accept a job.
    Yes and no. I'm mean your supposed to but nobody i know does. I didnt. Were i work people have called and changed their mind after accepting a position. It happens. At least that way all your bases are covered. Always look out for your best interests.

Blog Entries
    Who are you going to look unprofessional to ? A job that you quit ? Who cares. You should be worrying about yourself not what others think.

I agree with taking the first job and then seeing about the other later. I have also in the past taken jobs just to hold me over to the next. If when it comes to interviewing for the next job, you get it but still feel useasy about the previous job that you only held for a short period of time then just don't list that job on your resume.

Yea I understand what you guys are saying. Thanks for the help. I won't be graduating until the end of May so I would probably start in July or later.

If I will be signing a contract will that be a problem?

Blog Entries
    If I will be signing a contract will that be a problem?
    For ?

For job number one.

Chances are what you are signing are salary agreement and probably some confidentiality clauses. Standard stuff

Z12
    Z12 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Who are you going to look unprofessional to ? A job that you quit ? Who cares. You should be worrying about yourself not what others think.

I agree with taking the first job and then seeing about the other later. I have also in the past taken jobs just to hold me over to the next. If when it comes to interviewing for the next job, you get it but still feel useasy about the previous job that you only held for a short period of time then just don't list that job on your resume.
    In my experience, employers want you to account for ALL of your time before they hire you. So if you have a job for 3 mos, but don't list it on your resume, they might ask you what you've been doing for the last 3 mos.

Good luck bro! I accepted a position recently and then a month later was offered a position at a company I proably would have rather worked for, so I know how tough this is.

Pooks is offline Anabolic Member
    U're in a good position bro.. it is an advantage not a disadvantage.

Take the first job it is a gimmie.... Go there meet all the people, see what kind of environment you will be working in...

than go to the other interview.. having a job already securied gives u some leverage in the confidence department, as in you have nothing to lose.

When you go to the second job interview, you won't be as desperate to get hired, so you could really ask the tough questions and get to know everyone during your interview..
    Make a list of all the questions you really want to ask them.. and be SURE to ask the interviewer if it would be ok if he showed you around the meeting and meet some of the staff... than go ask those staff people also some questions if they seem to be open to it..

THis way you really get a feel for the work environment..

cause the biggest things is gonna be the people you have to work with, you dont want to be stuck somewhere where you feel like they're gonna fire you at any moment. I've been in that situation before trust me , it sucks LOL.. I worked once it was me, this 20 year old jacked up dood, and a bunch of 90 year old grannies.. and i really was to be busy doing other things in my life than, to really be suckin up to a bunch of grannies.. lets just say they got tired of me fast LOL... i'm sure they found some other older lady to replace me, and they're doing just fine now lol

Thread Information